Liked: 0

Default Help IDing a hub/centerlock nut combo & solution

Hi All,
    I've just taken over the care and feeding of a '71 Mallock 11B. It's got one really key issue that I want to sort - one of the centerlock hub bolts is missing. This obviously means we can't do more than roll it around the shop right now. We've reached out to Mallock, and they swear up and down that those hubs aren't anything they've ever constructed. Does it look familiar to anyone? Anyone have any info on these? I'd love to run down as close to an "off the shelf" replacement, if possible, if not, I'll need to look into have a replacement made or uprights or at least the sort of adapter between upright and wheel.
    Hub1 - wheel and bolt on the side we have
    Hub2 - close up of centerlock bolt
    Hub3 - backside of wheel
    Hub4, Hub5, Hub6 - upright with no wheel on it, showing hub adaptor, drive pins, and centerlock female side.

(Ignore the little T shaped bolt, that's just to hold a wheel on to move it in the shop)

Images attached, any info MASSIVELY appreciated.

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 6.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	104392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 5.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	104391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 1.JPG 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	104387  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 3.JPG 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	104389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 4.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	104390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hub 2.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	104388  

Liked: 160

Are the uprights triumph?

Keep in mind that Mallock's went out the door from the factory as, frames, frames with a few bits, kits, and complete cars. This could have been finished by someone other than the factory and they used unique bits.

If it was mine, I would put the triumph stuff back on it and have something easy to service.

Liked: 26

It looks like it could be a custom creation.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Mallock

I owned an 11 and 18BW - never seen a centerlock set up in that era (up to 78).
    Phil

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 285

To me that looks like some kind of centerlock adapter on a standard hub. I think the wheel pins were probably the original wheel studs for a 4-bolt wheel.

So, you might consider switching it back to 4-bolt, or just have someone machine you some new wheel bolts (and spares).
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 69

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    To me that looks like some kind of centerlock adapter on a standard hub. I think the wheel pins were probably the original wheel studs for a 4-bolt wheel.

So, you might consider switching it back to 4-bolt, or just have someone machine you some new wheel bolts (and spares).
    THIS! Unbolt the "adapter", check bolt pattern of "pins" and take a closer look at the plate under it and what/how it is attached (gold chromate bolts)? Could be the simple solution....
    Craig Butt

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Simple Solution

You have other wheel nuts as a pattern - get some made before you re-engineer the car. Looks like an external thread on the nut so its relatively easy to make and one should have a spare for the day it gets cross threaded. Hopefully they are RH thread on all corners.
    By the time you try to go back to bolt on with the mods done to the wheels - make nuts!
    Phil

Thread Information