Liked: 4

Default Easiest way for comp license with SVRA and PCA com licenses?

Hi there,

I recently bought a Formula car and raced it with SVRA. I’d like to do so with SCCA. I have comp licenses with PCA and SVRA. What is the easiest way to get a full comp license with SCCA?

I spent a lot of time on the SCCA website and, frankly, it’s confusing to an outsider. I can tell there have been some efforts to try to give step by step explanations, but it’s not there yet. I also couldn’t tell if pro racing required a different license, or just a good qualifying time.

thanks in advance!

jeff

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

I'm pretty sure SCCA recognizes SVRA licenses.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Figure out what SCCA region/division you want to run in and contact the divisional licensing administrator. The contact information is usually available on the region's website.
    They are amazingly accommodating, SCCA wants drivers

Steve

5. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

SCCA recognizes SVRA, etc through the alternative licensing program for Regionals only, unless this changed since I ran under that method 2015-2018 in SEDiv.

Some Regions are better at it than others. Buccaneer was great. ATL was a PITA.

I learned to call the REs at the start of the season, tell them I planned to run on my vintage license, to make sure the program was called out in the supps. And ATL was still a PITA....

Liked: 81

Best piece of advice I can give is contact the local licensing chair. SCCA typically recognizes track time and outside racing licenses and will issue a license accordingly. If there's no contact information on a local licensing chair then contact SCCA headquarters and ask for someone in competition licensing and see if they can point you in the correct direction.

I hope this is helpful and welcome to formula car racing!

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF10

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 605

1. Your SCCA Divisional Licensing Steward will recognize your current state of license?.........figure out who to ask...and ask 'em
    or.....
    2. After you are in touch with the Chief Steward of whatever SCCA event you're caring to enter...you will be allowed to enter an SCCA Regional event but with an "X" on your car wherein the Chief Steward will watch you and the field and at the end of the weekend the Steward will sign you off...........figure out from the posted supps who is the Chief Steward and get in touch with them....or someone else of the SCCA who will point oyu in the right direction. These days a "Driver's School" can be part of a Regional event and you get signed off in the process
    3. One thing that will matter is your SCCA membership number...join to get one

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 904

The SCCA licensing process is of Byzantine complexity. Appendix C of the GCR gives all the details. The tldr is:

1. Join SCCA. You must be a member in order to enter a race, even if you race on your SVRA license.

2. You can enter Regionals with your SVRA or PCA license. You must still be a member of SCCA.

3. If you want an SCCA Full Competition license, contact your Divisional License Administrator. In my experience, they are very helpful.

From your profile, I am guessing that you are in Central Division. Licensing contact here: https://cendiv-scca.org/about/contacts/

Click Road Racing Officials, scroll down to Driver Licensing.

Other divisions show/hide that information in various places, including the divisional web page. If you cannot find your person, contact your Divisional Executive Steward.

Exec Steward contact info here (in the SCCA member portal): https://my.scca.com/eweb/dynamicpage...tteecode=EXSTW
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sauce_racer View Post
    Best piece of advice I can give is contact the local licensing chair. SCCA typically recognizes track time and outside racing licenses and will issue a license accordingly. If there's no contact information on a local licensing chair then contact SCCA headquarters and ask for someone in competition licensing and see if they can point you in the correct direction.

I hope this is helpful and welcome to formula car racing!

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF10
    Thank you! BTW are you related to Mike Sauce?

Thank you, John.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post
    The SCCA licensing process is of Byzantine complexity. Appendix C of the GCR gives all the details. The tldr is:

1. Join SCCA. You must be a member in order to enter a race, even if you race on your SVRA license.

2. You can enter Regionals with your SVRA or PCA license. You must still be a member of SCCA.

3. If you want an SCCA Full Competition license, contact your Divisional License Administrator. In my experience, they are very helpful.

From your profile, I am guessing that you are in Central Division. Licensing contact here: https://cendiv-scca.org/about/contacts/

Other divisions show/hide that information in various places, including the divisional web page. If you cannot find your person, contact your Divisional Executive Steward.

Exec Steward contact info here (in the SCCA member portal): https://my.scca.com/eweb/dynamicpage...tteecode=EXSTW

Quote Originally Posted by janton9736 View Post
    Thank you! BTW are you related to Mike Sauce?

Yes. Mike is my Dad. Hoping we both get back on track here after Texas decides that the heat wave is over.

Any luck on the license?

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF#10

I just went to the doctor yesterday to do the SCCA medical, so it is in the works. Other series will allow you to use another comp license medical if it is not expired, but I had to make a special appointment for the SCCA one. Your dad has been very helpful to me and my pfm and it was nice seeing him last weekend at Road America. happy birthday to him!

Quote Originally Posted by sauce_racer View Post
    Yes. Mike is my Dad. Hoping we both get back on track here after Texas decides that the heat wave is over.

Any luck on the license?

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF#10

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by janton9736 View Post
    I just went to the doctor yesterday to do the SCCA medical, so it is in the works. Other series will allow you to use another comp license medical if it is not expired, but I had to make a special appointment for the SCCA one. Your dad has been very helpful to me and my pfm and it was nice seeing him last weekend at Road America. happy birthday to him!
    Happy to hear the process is in the works, I didn't realize that the physicals were different. I can't say enough good things about my Dad. I'm glad he's been helpful.

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF#10

Liked: 108

Default Drivers school

Just a heads up
    Steel Cities region is having a drivers school the end of this month.

Liked: 108

Default Pittrace

At pittrace which is an awesome track !

Thank you, and UPDATE.:Bob Clark of Central Division was very helpful. Thanks to you both for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesbitt View Post

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information