Liked: 2

Default Panasport 3 piece: where to find parts?

One of the next tasks for my new Beach Mk4b-II is to find appropriate front wheels.
    The 2 sets which came with the car are both 13x7, which is 1" too wide per the original spec.

To be faithful to the spirit of vintage racing, I'd like to find some 13x6's or modify the fronts that came with the car.
    Plus, it would stop my friends in 23b's from making an excuse when I catch up to them.

The 'good' wheel set that came with the car are Panasport 13" modular (race) rims.
    They are practically new.
    I called Panasport in CA, but was told they don't make/have rim halves for these in a 13" size anymore.

Any ideas where/how to find some narrower rim parts?

John

Liked: 3787

Check with Keith Averill @ Racing Stuff

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 610

Default 3 piece wheel parts

Sorry, but I don't have any C8 rims halves either.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    Sorry, but I don't have any C8 rims halves either.
    Keith, thanks for looking.

the other set of wheels with the car are American Racing mags (I believe new in the 1980’s?).
    these fronts are also 13x7” and I’m looking for some 13x6’s or someone who can modify these to 13x6.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19F85D36-5436-4FF5-A9AA-2283DC068E94.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	103250  

Liked: 1

Default Wheel halves

Have you tried Kodiak Wheels in Canada? Their website says they can make wheel shells per your specs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJackson View Post
    Have you tried Kodiak Wheels in Canada? Their website says they can make wheel shells per your specs.
    thanks for the tip!
    I’ll contact them.

John

Liked: 141

Image wheels in England maybe.

Liked: 803

Quote Originally Posted by noviceracer View Post
    Keith, thanks for looking.

the other set of wheels with the car are American Racing mags (I believe new in the 1980’s?).
    these fronts are also 13x7” and I’m looking for some 13x6’s or someone who can modify these to 13x6.

those look a lot like the wheels that the Spec Racer Ford guys used in the past?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Spitfire?

My GP Spit uses 13x6, same on FP rims... 3 3/4" bc....should be plenty of those around. Ones in photo looked like older American Mags...

Hope you can source the rim halves wanted, if not look into old prod car rims... or VTO for alum. options on current wheels.

Liked: 947

The American Racing wheels are called "Libre" They were used on the Datsun 510 and 240Z Trans Am race cars, early 1970s.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...n+racing+libre
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Panasport wheels: I found a number of places that say they can narrow the Panasport wheels. I'm an idiot for not realizing there is a whole cottage industry of places that widen/narrow aluminum wheels for people doing custom cars. Weldcraftwheels.com and https://ericvaughnmachine.com/ were mentioned on numerous hot rod forums.

So, I hope problem solved for SVRA (has anyone had SVRA actually measure their wheel widths?). I've been put on the scale before by SVRA at the end of a sprint race in my Alfa (I'm honest as the day is long).

I was unable to find anyone who widens/narrows the old mag wheels. Must not be safe.

I agree that the mags look like SRF wheels, but don't they use a 13x5.5 up front (and 7" rear)?
    Would be cool to use them, but rules are rules.

John

PS. THis is a very nice forum. Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. Hope I can help someone back someday.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default Back in the day........history, for what it's worth....

When I was young and serious HP racer, we had to run 5" rims on the H car, G Sprites could use 5.5, and F Sprites 6.0. Very few 5" x 13 with 4 on 4, race mags available, none cheap....... Revolution had just started selling in US (about 1974). They came out with an offering for 5",cast, H car wheels. I jumped on one of the first sets. Got them and they had taken a wider rim, cut out a section and welded them back together. Boy was I upset. Several calls, got nowhere, so I kept and used them for over 6 yrs, Finally sold the car, Next owner wadded it up, and the wheels were bought by another racer. He needed some more, so he called Revolution, told they NEVER make 5" rims, explained what he had, and was told to stop immediately using them, send back or junk, but definitely, in no uncertain terms, should they be used, as Revolution NEVER made such an item. Got a huge laugh out of that. Think those rims are still around. Funny how things go with time....

Also, Ed Alsbury in KC, used to repair race damaged Minilite/American (real mag) wheels that had crash damage. He'd cut out damaged section, straighten if possible, then weld back into rim...machined welds down to point of never being able to tell they had been repaired. Never heard of any failures.... Of course Ed has passed years ago, but that guy truly had some serious "race fabricator" skills.... Started with building Jabros, hung around and helped Dick Durant over many years....

You are likely right on SVRA checking rims.... never have seen anyone but SCCA do it... and most vintage racers today never heard or worried over old rim size rules, let alone try to hold to them.... I had a set of steel wide rims for the Bugeye, Sprite centers welded into Corvair rims. Still have a set of wide steel rims for my GP Spitfire, that were welded up locally in Tulsa...... again, common practice then, seldom done today.....

VTO makes copies (alum) that are close to the Libre/Revolution and Minilite/Panasports.... that are likely your best bet/find new/value. Oh yeah, I found cast is better than modular...on wheels. While modular wheels might be lighter, cast is more rugged. less likely to leak. Know of a few wheel to wheel incidents with modular rims that cost a race, where as cast one lived.... Sort of same of steel valve stems vs. rubber... Rubber might give, where steel usually goes away right off. Not just car to car contact, but car to ditch or kerb/sleeping police....

Happy motoring.............

Bob L.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information