Liked: 0

Default Can I drive FF with bad knee?

Had a severe accident in 2016 and my left knee and Femur got pretty messed up. Walking well now and driving a miata is no problem. A Manual C6 corvette though because of the clutch throw moving my knee through a bad point over and over is not possible for more than a few minutes.

pushing strait and ankle movement is fine. flexing of the knee constantly past 15 degrees or so however is and issue and sitting bent, I cannot lift strait my left lower leg below the knee. Can lift the whole leg once strait but extension is severly underpowered and fairly painful.

I am very much interested in FF or Formula Continental cars. Any driver feedback on how the left leg sits in the car and if short throws on the clutch can be done with mostly strait leg and ankle?

Kinda odd question but I can't answer it by watching video's alone and not had a chance to get to a track day with some Formula Fords running yet.

Liked: 3318

Default Yes, you can do that.

You can likely set up the clutch pedal throw and depression force to use only ankle movement. I do not have a lower leg issue and that's what I do. I have a heel rest that my left heel pivots on.

PM me your email if you want photos of the setup.
    Dave Weitzenhof

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4359

Most FF and FC racers use their left leg for braking. The only time you use the clutch is for starting and stopping.

Presumably, you could go "old school" and use your right leg for throttle and brake. Then you would only need to use your left leg for the clutch when starting and stopping. It is probably a few tenths per lap, but the reality is that most club racers are giving away several seconds per lap to their cars ultimate pace, so there are many other places to find those few tenths.

I expect you could race competitively and have lots of fun! Go for it!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

5. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 134

Clutch and brake pedal throw in these cars is usually short. The pedal assembly can generally be positioned wherever you need it to be to ease your leg. Then the pedals themselves have some adjustability. If left foot braking does not work for you, then the "old school" method will work just fine. Go to a race and sit in some cars out to get a feel for it.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3318

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    ...Presumably, you could go "old school" and use your right leg for throttle and brake. Then you would only need to use your left leg for the clutch when starting and stopping. It is probably a few tenths per lap, but the reality is that most club racers are giving away several seconds per lap to their cars ultimate pace, so there are many other places to find those few tenths...

I right-foot brake 99% of the time and use the clutch for every shift, up or down. Definitely old-school and old driver... Using the clutch "properly" during on-track shifting, IMO, does not cost time and is easier on all the mechanicals except for the disk itself.

My definition of "properly" during acceleration is a minimal clutch disengagement along with minimal throttle lift and if the race is tight, I sometimes power-shift, i.e., full throttle through the shift, which is an acceleration advantage.
    Dave Weitzenhof

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

I race vintage FC and left foot brake. Only use clutch for starts and stops. I am 6'2" and have no room to flex my knee. All pedal movement is at the ankle. Shouldn't be hard to determine by test sitting the FF or FC of choice. I wish you well.

This sounds very promising thanks!

Will have to find when people are running at Buttonwillow or Laguna Seca. I am buying a house in Atascadero currently and look forward to being within 2 hours of both of them.

Hopefully I can try to sit in one and see how the ingress Egress works for me.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

Buttonwillow 20-22 May VARA and FFDC

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    Buttonwillow 20-22 May VARA and FFDC
    Cool. May have to wait until later since I am closing on my house on the 25th. But will see about coming to check things out.

Liked: 182

Rent a car and see how you like it. Jens in Phoenix could probably help out.
    Play with the clutch master cylinder diameter and linkage geometry if you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by jrh3 View Post
    Rent a car and see how you like it. Jens in Phoenix could probably help out.
    Play with the clutch master cylinder diameter and linkage geometry if you buy.
    Would love to rent one for some lapping. Not found any places that offer such things as of yet. and the aforementioned closing on a house. my put my purchase plans on hold for a bit. If renting or leasing is an option that would be great

Liked: 324

Quote Originally Posted by Doommachine_ View Post
    Would love to rent one for some lapping. Not found any places that offer such things as of yet. t
    http://eformulaford.com/

Look around on Jens website and you will find his contact information. He is presently in California with a bunch of Formula Ford cars running the SVRA events.

He has a rental car and can certainly help you out.

Liked: 183

I don't think the question is can you drive a formula ford. I am sure that you can. Like others have said you only need the clutch to start off

I would be more concerned about how fast you can exit the car in case of fire.

18. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 472

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    I don't think the question is can you drive a formula ford. I am sure that you can. Like others have said you only need the clutch to start off

I would be more concerned about how fast you can exit the car in case of fire.
    I was having that exact same thought.

Liked: 319

Default Only happened one time, but:

I have found fire causes great spikes in adrenaline and is a great motivator.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

21. The following 3 users liked this post:

I live in Arroyo Grande, if you want to sit in the car and see if it will work for you, you are more than welcome to check it out.

Jason

Liked: 81

Default More of a question of pain tolerance

Thinking out loud.. only using the left leg for starting and stopping isn't a bad idea as long as you're comfortable in the car and properly fitted. I'm short and with how I'm fitted I manage to hit the lateral side of my knees on the frame. Which is the main reason I have pain in my left knee. I left foot brake and only use the clutch for stopping and starting. Worst part is when I get out of the car and my left knee is stiff and sore for a few days after. I'd say the pain is worth it!

Welcome to Formula F! You're gonna love it!

Meg Sauce
    SowDiv FF#10

more or less numb from ankle to top of my knee. Foot works just fine though. only real issue is extension strength and limited to just about 90 degree bend

Liked: 1115

I agree your greatest problem will probably be routine exit from the car. In case of fire you will discover great reserves of upper body strength.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 902

Plenty of guys with two good knees can't drive a FF.

You'll be fine....

cheers,
    BT

27. The following 5 users liked this post:

Thread Information