Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

Default electric fuel pump question

A friend wants to convert a Triumph TR2 to electric pump, going to use a Facet cube. I know elec pumps like to push instead of pull, but if we mount it way low on frame, can it go up front? Tank on these is fairly high in the back, so it will have roughly the same "head" no matter where it ends up. Is it a problem having that 8 feet of line ahead of the pump, as opposed to after?

Neither of us really cares where it ends up, but front would be quicker and easier.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

FWIW I used one of them to replace the mechanical pump on my van while towing to a race. Naturally the mechanical one failed then. Put it up front and kept vapor locking. Made it to the track and someone smarter than me told me that those pumps do not suck worth a darn. Mounted one back by the tank and it worked great. Up front it was about 6" below the tank.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

I've made a living, working on British sports cars for 35 years.

There's absolutely no need for an electric pump in that car. The mechanical pump if working and the diaphragm isn't hardened is more than sufficient.

If you must, put a low pressure Facet cylindrical pump in it and make sure you wire it to the ignition on position only.

Facet cube pumps are crap !
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 92

Ditto on the cubes being crap. The round ones are much better and its not like they're massively more expensive either.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Cube pump

Been using the cube pump on the Bowman for 10 or more years. No problem with it at all.

Ed

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

I'm leaving the mech pump, at least for now. I've never had a problem with the cubes, tho.

It's all on the previous owner, he put the entire fuel system together from the junk parts bin. Pump issue was in the fittings. Then carbs started leaking--fix one, then another starts. Not original carbs, and incorrect parts to boot.

Whack-a-mole heaven

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schmidt View Post
    I'm leaving the mech pump, at least for now. I've never had a problem with the cubes, tho.

It's all on the previous owner, he put the entire fuel system together from the junk parts bin. Pump issue was in the fittings. Then carbs started leaking--fix one, then another starts. Not original carbs, and incorrect parts to boot.

Whack-a-mole heaven
    I love cars like that. I make lots of money from them.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    I've made a living, working on British sports cars for 35 years.

There's absolutely no need for an electric pump in that car. The mechanical pump if working and the diaphragm isn't hardened is more than sufficient.

If you must, put a low pressure Facet cylindrical pump in it and make sure you wire it to the ignition on position only.

Facet cube pumps are crap !
    I'm absolutely agree with stonebridge20. Facet cube pumps are crap!

Liked: 151

Default Something to think about

Formula First's all use Facet cube fuel pumps and many of the cars have used the same pump for twelve years. They live just fine as long as they are mounted in rubber. The rubber mount kit sold by Pegasus is perfect. Some guys just use stock VW green oil cooler rings.

Thread Information