Liked: 27

Default Where is it now?

Where is it now? This unique FV with strong oval track influence was built and raced by Don DeLapp (upstate NY, Mohawk-Hudson Region SCCA) in the early/mid 1990s. Don later went on to race VW-powered oval track midgets with NEMA. There's some recollection the car may have been sold to Jonathan Leeper (?), who was a member of New England Region SCCA before moving back to the midwest (Indy?). (Randy McKee photo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCCA Regional LRP 8-20-94  DD.jpg 
Views:	1160 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	100402  

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default cool

ride

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4349

Keep in mind, while the lineage of cars like this, may be of interest now, in the 80s-90s, uncompetitive ugly oddball cars were worth 1/3 of the value of their components. Most became donor cars for all the Caracals, Protoforms, Mysterians, Citations, BRDs, Womers, etc, that were built up. Unlike other formula cars that became garage queens because the new cars used different components, literally all the VW running gear, and much of the safety equipment, could be moved forward.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Keep in mind, while the lineage of cars like this, may be of interest now, in the 80s-90s, uncompetitive ugly oddball cars were worth 1/3 of the value of their components. Most became donor cars for all the Caracals, Protoforms, Mysterians, Citations, BRDs, Womers, etc, that were built up. Unlike other formula cars that became garage queens because the new cars used different components, literally all the VW running gear, and much of the safety equipment, could be moved forward.
    Thanks for your comment. I didn't expect the DeLapp EXP1 was in race-ready condition, but that at least its bare bones might be sitting somewhere awaiting revitalization, not ending up in the scrap pile. For now the search seems to have gone cold.

Liked: 303

I think Greg was trying to let you know that it is highly unlikely it survived some 30 years sitting somewhere. Every part could be transferred to another car and probably was. Doubtful the frame was left collecting dust.

But you never know. I have an unfinished frame from 1980 in my shop

I was able to locate Jonathan Leeper. He tried to sell the DeLapp EXP1 in the mid 20teens but never found a buyer, so the car got scrapped. It was an unfortunate but understandable outcome.

Liked: 13

I think I saw this on Facebook marketplace in New Hampshire for sale. Just a rolling frame, no body but, the cage matches the picture

Liked: 1110

Interesting car, lots of oval track influence there. Even the lettering is sheer oval track in style.
    Once we think we’ve mastered something, it’s over
    https://ericwunrow.photoshelter.com/index

Liked: 41

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

Wow, I think...that's it! I mean, there couldn't be two of those, right? Fab up some bodywork and get that thing on the track!

Thread Information