Liked: 8

Default Mystery Mini-Powered Sports Racer

I think I need to try this again -its been a few years and I would really like to identify it so I can decide whether to sell it for someone to cut up, put in a motorcycle engine and use as a Dune Buggy at the dunes by Lake Michigan. I actually HAVE turned down a few offers. I really kind of suspect there is some interesting history to this car but I haven't yet been able to even figure-out what chassis it is. I got excited thinking it was a Centuar (Body parts look right) but I can't find any evidence that there was ever a Mini-powered Centaur. I'm not sure it would be competitive in any vintage Groups but with a built 1275 is should be FUN, if a bit SCARY! So if anyone recognizes it, or knows any history, or could tell me where to polish to look for stamped numbers, I would greatly appreciate it.
    The background I have on it - A friend owned it and was working on it; he asked me if I could go get it out of the elements and store it indoors for him and then he DIED. I had loaned him my spare 997 Mini power-train and it slipped right in - the mounts were all already there. He was planning to do some body work and clean-up and paint the frame. Then we were hoping to rivet / glue the sheet aluminum back in place (new pieces, but we had all the old ones for patterns!) and we were going to wire it and plumb it and get it driving. If he was healthy enough (he was battling Throat Cancer) he was going to drive it - if not I would drive. He didn't get that far... THANKS for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontcorner.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	98936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enginecompartment.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	98935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side view naked.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	281.1 KB 
ID:	98937  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rearsusp..jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	98938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RFsusp.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	98939  

Liked: 295

Quote Originally Posted by stvstb View Post
    I think I need to try this again -its been a few years and I would really like to identify it so I can decide whether to sell it for someone to cut up, put in a motorcycle engine and use as a Dune Buggy at the dunes by Lake Michigan. I actually HAVE turned down a few offers. I really kind of suspect there is some interesting history to this car but I haven't yet been able to even figure-out what chassis it is. I got excited thinking it was a Centuar (Body parts look right) but I can't find any evidence that there was ever a Mini-powered Centaur. I'm not sure it would be competitive in any vintage Groups but with a built 1275 is should be FUN, if a bit SCARY! So if anyone recognizes it, or knows any history, or could tell me where to polish to look for stamped numbers, I would greatly appreciate it.
    The background I have on it - A friend owned it and was working on it; he asked me if I could go get it out of the elements and store it indoors for him and then he DIED. I had loaned him my spare 997 Mini power-train and it slipped right in - the mounts were all already there. He was planning to do some body work and clean-up and paint the frame. Then we were hoping to rivet / glue the sheet aluminum back in place (new pieces, but we had all the old ones for patterns!) and we were going to wire it and plumb it and get it driving. If he was healthy enough (he was battling Throat Cancer) he was going to drive it - if not I would drive. He didn't get that far... THANKS for reading.

Reminds me
    reminds me of a Genie. I would not cut this up. It could have had something completely different in it such as a coventry climax. Who knows Dan or Stirling might have driven it. Is there a data plate on it with a serial number?
    Last edited by t walgamuth; 08.06.21 at 9:16 PM.

Liked: 482

How does the shift mechanism work??? That is kinda bad when it is the way it was originally designed let alone how this may have to have been engineered.

PutInBay road race reunion is coming up… I could take pictures and ask around there… someone may Recognize it.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Landar? Terrapin?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

Landar (Llandar?) would have been my first guess...saw one at autocrosses years ago

I doubt it's a Unipower

Thread Information