Liked: 1

Default 1972 Titan Mk6 vs1969 Lotus

I will be buying a Historic Formula Ford for vintage racing. I weigh 135 lbs and have a height of 5'5". I found both a Lotus and a Titan that I am ready to purchase. Both have newer restorations. Would anyone have comments on: (a) which car is safer; (b) which car would I fit better in (lower, etc); (c) which car handles better; (d) which car is esier to repair and find parts for. Thank you

Liked: 59

Titan vs Lotus
    FWIW
    (a) Titan
    (b) Titan
    (c) Titan
    (d) Titan
    In the last 30 years as a racer and spectator the Titan has been the dominant car in the Formula Ford class.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark View Post
    I will be buying a Historic Formula Ford for vintage racing. I weigh 135 lbs and have a height of 5'5". I found both a Lotus and a Titan that I am ready to purchase. Both have newer restorations. Would anyone have comments on: (a) which car is safer; (b) which car would I fit better in (lower, etc); (c) which car handles better; (d) which car is esier to repair and find parts for. Thank you
    Probably can't go wrong with either. Parts are probably equally available But. . . . let the free advice begin .

Of course the Titan is the better car. The Mk6 kicked butt when introduced, it the prettiest, and is always in demand. Just sayin'.
    MK6 owner since '88.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alder_Mk-6_PPIR_Philip.jpg 
Views:	805 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	97126  

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 22

As a Lotus 61 driver I am willing to bet the Titan is a faster car and most folks here would agree. Remember that in vintage racing usually the driving ability/performance outweighs the car advantage.
    I will say the Lotus car does have a little more sex appeal, especially when the average Joe asks what kind of race car you have. Even the non formula ford racer digs the Jim Clark look alike status.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0F13B8B0-FD93-4CC7-AA4E-6A7AD204CEC8_1_105_c.jpeg 
Views:	742 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	97127  

6. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

I will be buying a Historic Formula Ford for vintage racing. I weigh 135 lbs and have a height of 5'5".
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wirtz View Post
    Titan vs Lotus
    FWIW
    (a) Titan
    (b) Titan
    (c) Titan
    (d) Titan
    In the last 30 years as a racer and spectator the Titan has been the dominant car in the Formula Ford class.
    I'm a similar height but haven't seen 135 since freshman year in college. Now I'm old and fat but I find I still fit in anything. You'll want to make a bead/foam seat for either for the best support.

A Titan Mk 6 is much more likely to be near the top in the results/standings within any Vintage Organization. A Lotus is cool due to the same company participating in F1 but not many are front runners. There is a well-prepped and well driven Lotus 51 and a well developed 61 (both on the west coast) that are consistently fast but that's it that I know of. They are both battling Titans.

Lastly, be sure to confirm the weight used by your Vintage organization. They all seem to have different rules. Although my March was considered heavy back in the day, I was underweight with SVRA.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 47

Default Two Different Eras of Frame Design

I had the opportunity to race a couple of Lotus 51's, a Lotus 61 and I owned a Titan Mk6C. The Lotus 51/61 had their design rooted in the 1961 Lotus 20 FJ, so by the time the 51 came about it was not only at least a 7 year old design but still fairly rudimentary in terms of suspension adjustment. For the Titan MK 6 series, the set up and handling can be more closely compared with early to mid '70's FF designs with a longer wheelbase and wider track. I grew up a big Lotus fan, but unless you're looking at an historically significant Lotus 51/61 or you have a line on a Lotus 69, I'd choose the Titan.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Weight and height wise you are going to flop around in either so a bead seat will help a lot. Me personally, the Lotus but that is just because I own a 61. Both cars are great and with the right or wrong driver can run up front or anywhere else in the pack. Me being the latter. The biggest thing will be the grin factor. Enjoy either.
    Graham

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 492

Default FF

Titan Mk-6 is much faster and easier to set up and drive. The best thing you can do is to find someone who really knows Vintage formula cars to do a pre-purchase inspection. One can save you a lot of frustration and dollars.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

13. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 40

Between a Lotus 51/61 and the Mk 6, I would choose the Mk 6 unless you have a particular passion for Lotus. If you are looking at a Type 69 (I know where you can buy one. They are going for ~$60,000), then it is a closer call on performance. On the same vintage tires, my Type 69 is only a tad slower than my Crossle 45f. The Crossle is numb compared to the Lotus.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    Between a Lotus 51/61 and the Mk 6, I would choose the Mk 6 unless you have a particular passion for Lotus. If you are looking at a Type 69 (I know where you can buy one. They are going for ~$60,000), then it is a closer call on performance. On the same vintage tires, my Type 69 is only a tad slower than my Crossle 45f. The Crossle is numb compared to the Lotus.
    Thnak you for your response. We are from Boston. Per everyone's comments, we had decided to buy the Titan and asked for a list of spare parts included with the sale, but car sold before receiving the list. Whereas we do have a Lotus passion, could you let us know where the Type 69 is for sale? Thank you.

Liked: 40

Thnak you for your response. We are from Boston. Per everyone's comments, we had decided to buy the Titan and asked for a list of spare parts included with the sale, but car sold before receiving the list. Whereas we do have a Lotus passion, could you let us know where the Type 69 is for sale? Thank you.
    I sent you details via PM.

Thread Information