Contributing Member
    Liked: 322

Default Hewland HC-201 main case?

I have a Hewland Mk9 which needs a replacement main case. From what I understand, new VW-type cases are only available as 4-bolt pinion bearing versions (standard and Rhino). The Mk9 I have has the later, locking-ring bearing, however.

The alternative is Hewland's HC-201. I'm not familiar with it so would welcome any comments or observations about it.

Thanks in advance!

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Check with Mark Bailey. In your area.

Mark Bailey Racing (mbrgearbox.com)
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member

Hi Charles - many thanks, I spoke to my local Hewland guy, who isn't very keen on the HC-201 case as it's heavier than the standard one.

However, good main cases aren't easily found and my existing pinion isn't compatible with new VW ones.

So my choice is limited to what's available. It's frustrating as the case I have is excellent externally, but clearly has stood for some time with enough water inside to cause bad pitting corrosion in the final drive section of the case.

The 'box itself is an ADA-modified one - which I think hasn't helped the corrosion issue as it has had all the internal ribbing ground away from the area where corrosion is worst.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Liked: 17

u need to do as i do
    get on eBay and just keep buying beetle boxes to strip down till get one that is right
    i have 3 beetle boxes casing and I'm sure i have a 2 and 1 of each type casing I just keep for spares

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 645

Gents ;

Anyone have the PN of the original VW aluminum cases used for circa 1970s MK9s?
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 323

Quote Originally Posted by tlracer View Post
    However, good main cases aren't easily found and my existing pinion isn't compatible with new VW ones.
    I don’t think the ring/pinion is different between the ring nut and 4 bolt versions. Yes, you will need a new pinion BEARING and 4 bolt bearing carrier, but they should swap with either VW (or Rhino) case. Any machine shop should be able to machine the area around the reverse gear. There is nothing ‘Hewland’ about the gearbox case - it is just a Hewland machined VW case with a Hewland part number.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Contributing Member

Hi - thanks for the info guys!

Yes, I've realised I misunderstood about the pinion and shaft, and it's only the bearing and its retaining parts that are different between the two types.

As ADA Engineering performed a range of modifications and now - years later - there isn't any consistency as to what each individual gearbox had done, I'd thought their changes had gone further than they really had.

Since I'm now into a complete rebuild, it makes sense to go into a good/new case; probably a VW one rather than the Hewland HC-201, if only as the latter weren't around when the car was built in 1985!

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    I don’t think the ring/pinion is different between the ring nut and 4 bolt versions. Yes, you will need a new pinion BEARING and 4 bolt bearing carrier, but they should swap with either VW (or Rhino) case. Any machine shop should be able to machine the area around the reverse gear. There is nothing ‘Hewland’ about the gearbox case - it is just a Hewland machined VW case with a Hewland part number.

The input shaft bearing is different. Smaller bore in case with 4 bolt main bearing.

john f

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 63

New cases are 4 bolt Rhino cases
    Pinion bearing will be different from the ring nut style.
    Front layshaft bearing will be a 35 mm retained with a grub screw /anti-rotation bolt through the side
    Rev spigot bore in the case needs to be machined
    As far as front seal and reverse spigot . Those remaine the same
    Scott Young
    Scott Young Enterprises
    scotty@sy-gearboxes.com

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information