Liked: 536

Default Terminal Understeer Fixes?

Since I am soon to become an FV jockey, I was wondering about a car I saw years back. I was working a corner on a long sweeper, an FV would come through and every time the front tires were cranked over and squealing like stuck pigs. On "normal" cars I know a lot of ways to dial out understeer, but what would be the adjustments on an FV to fix that?

Or maybe his front tires were just crap...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Since I am soon to become an FV jockey, I was wondering about a car I saw years back. I was working a corner on a long sweeper, an FV would come through and every time the front tires were cranked over and squealing like stuck pigs. On "normal" cars I know a lot of ways to dial out understeer, but what would be the adjustments on an FV to fix that?

Or maybe his front tires were just crap...
    My first reaction is that they did not have the ft offset bushing to get the proper camber. Or there was a mechanical problem with the front end.

If you are using one of the more popular FVs then matching the setup of a well handling car or even the factory specs would be a good place to start.

You of course can play with the front sway bar, ft shocks, rear camber, droop rod, rear shock, besides toe (both ends) and tire pressure. Once you are in the ball park you will probably not change things too much. In the event you have a one off, it might have some problem with weight distribution or suspension geometry, but it's a Vee - you can't get too far off.

Now if running vintage, you have the Z-bar. Very tunable but an animal unto itself. Along with that comes corner weights.

So what car do you have?

ChrisZ

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post

So what car do you have?

ChrisZ
    I'm in the process of acquiring a Caldwell D-13. Should clear customs in a few weeks, I hope.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

and don't forget the most basic thing I have seen people not do.... put whatever ballast you need in the nose.
    without knowing where you come in vs. your minimum weight, this is the easiest thing people do not do for some reason.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 299

The quick and easy way is to reduce toe in or go to a little toe out.

Ed

Liked: 830

David,
    Try to get in touch with Quinn Posner - he's in Bellevue and can help you get anything straightened out that you need. He finished 5th at the Runoffs this year at Road America. He's on facebook.. and how many 'Quinn"'s are there ??

If you can't find him easily, contact me Steve at WedgeRacing dot com and I'll get you his email address

Steve
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Womer View Post

Ed
    I agree, my car pushed badly when I was on Hoosier rains (but not on regular slicks) and some added toe-out while on the rains did the trick. I recall I ran the rear tire pressure up a bit, but don't recall how much.

On regular slicks (AR's or Hoosiers) no problem with understeer, only on the rains. Not sure about vintage tires, you plan on running SOVREN or conference?

Quote Originally Posted by jphoenix13 View Post
    On regular slicks (AR's or Hoosiers) no problem with understeer, only on the rains. Not sure about vintage tires, you plan on running SOVREN or conference?
    SOVREN mostly. Might run some "real" races since I'm close to The Ridge. Steve McQueen was right - I hate waiting.

I want to see a good size Vee group for SOVREN. It'll be fun.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Womer View Post

Ed
    On Quinn's Protoform P3,going to 3/32 toe out cured the push. On my P2,staying at 1/16 toe in but increasing front rebound worked.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    I'm in the process of acquiring a Caldwell D-13. Should clear customs in a few weeks, I hope.

You wouldn’t happen to be getting Paul’s D13? Or perhaps Stan Guy/ Bruce Jamieson’s? Those are the only two D13’s I know of that are for sale up here.

Both cars should be pretty close to “set up” once in your possession
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie.Arthur View Post
    You wouldn’t happen to be getting Paul’s D13? Or perhaps Stan Guy/ Bruce Jamieson’s? Those are the only two D13’s I know of that are for sale up here.

Both cars should be pretty close to “set up” once in your possession
    Paul's has disc brakes

Has Jamieson never sold his? Hasn't raced in some time now?
    Jim Phoenix Van Diemen RF79 CF

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone until I get it. Yes, it's Paul's, he also has the old drums I can refit for Vintage CFV. Lovely car, I can't wait.

Thread Information