Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Default Restoration of GOMOTS FV

Hello all, after many years wandering in tin top land a crazy set of events has led me to become the owner of Harry Dudley's GOMOTS FV. Its a Lynx copy in many respects, built in the early 70's, raced until 1986 and has been sitting ever since.

It'll require a total restoration of course plus safety upgrades and so on. The plan is to race it in vintage events by returning it to its original Z bar specification while still being able to run local SCCA events for fun. All goes to plan it'll be on track for the 2021 season.

Photos are of the car as found in Glenwood, IA and in my shop in Topeka.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AsFound7.31.20.2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	93504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AsFound7.31.20.3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	93505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shop8.1.20.LF.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	93506  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shop8.1.20.LSide.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	93507  
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

2. The following 8 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Random history tidbit I just found while listening to old Runoffs vids... apparently Dorsey Schroeder raced this car once as well.

It doesn't appear I can embed, but here is the link. Listen at the 16:15 mark.
    https://www.scca.com/videos/2033623
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Dorsey + Terry Mckenna (4-5X nat'l champ), ran it back in time. Harry was a good ol' guy.

Okie.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1109

Too cool Bryan, great to see restorations on cars with such history.

Dorsey’s a great guy and would probably be tickled to see this. I never knew what happened to McKenna, very good shoe but never went pro, as I recall anyway... but think he was the St. Louis distributor for Budweiser and may still be. I’d think he’d be in his late-60s now (?).

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Terry is still in StL. doing dental work as always (including Mark Weber). He and his dad (Bill) were big hockey folks..Terry's son went pro as goalie, for Florida NHL team, a while back...not sure where he's today. Understand that Terry is the "official" score keeper for the Blues....Like Weber, think he still plays hockey with older dudes in the area.... Terry didn't own the beer place (Gray Eagle), just was sponsored by them. He did a lot of his own work on earlier cars including his D9 FF , before getting the support for fancier stuff. Really did super nice fiberglass work.....always been amazed at how many dentists raced, built their own stuff...like Hmods, DSRs, etc.. guess it was the dental training..desire to create.... You're right, he could drive, well. and likely right on age...(think we're within a couple of years of each other...he got all the trophies and ribbons, then moved on....tho...)

Okie

Contributing Member bryancohnracing's Avatar
    Liked: 16

Yes, Dorsey did race GOMOTS once and if memory serves me he didn't have good things to say about it! I don't recall Terry McKenna having driven the car, I'll try and find out.

After taking the car down to a bare frame and collection of parts I can see why as it used mostly stock VW parts instead of what was the accepted normal for FV's of the era. Its not bad as much as very budget build oriented. More photos to come, other racing projects in the shop have gotten in the way for a bit.
    Bryan Cohn
    bryancohnracing@yahoo.com
    417-540-2595 text

Thread Information