Liked: 26

Default mystery coil over shocks.

Hi everyone. I am starting to renovate the 1977 Lola I bought last summer and have started to clean up the shocks. They don't have a Man. name or logo on them. They are posibly even original as the car hasen't seen a great deal of use or from what I can see overhaul work from new, stored for the last 20 years. However they are gas charged and I am not sure if gas shocks go back as far as the late 70's.
    They do have what I presume is a part number 1602467040 and on the opposite side 180 60 .
    Anybody recognise them ?

Thanks , Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9976.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	92503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9975.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	92502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9977.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	92501  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_9974.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	92500  

Liked: 8

Bilstein brand

3. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 146

The number 180 60 is a Bilstien number that designates its resistance at a particular shaft speed. You can get the exact details from the Bilstien web site.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks guys ! Thats a great help.

Greg

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Not only are they Bilsteins, but I had a set that look almost exactly like that rebuilt by them 4 years ago.

Try:

Tim Godshall,
    Technical Sales Motorsports

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
    293 Timber Road | Mooresville NC 28115 | USA
    +1 858 386-5944 office | fax +1 858 386-5244
    tim.godshall@bilsteinus.com

The numbers are in in tens of Newtons of force at 50 cm/s, IIRC and they're basically linear damping.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4351

Although they are not adjustable, they are a quality damper, which when used on the car that they were valved for, will work well.. They are very very durable, so if still charged, will probably work just fine. Personally, I would use them as-is, and when the time comes that I think I need better shocks, rather than rebuild, I would replace with an adjustable shock.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Bilsteins

I would echo what Greg said - if they have pressure use them. We have a set on a vintage (?) Royale S2 that work fine as long as you stay close to original spring rates
    Phil

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 162

Is there a resource anywhere for calculating the right range of valving? I have a set, 220/80 fronts, 180/60 rears that I'd like to use on a vintage FF.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks for all the information guys. I have only looked at one of them yet but it is definately still retaining its gas charge.
    The reason I was curious about if it could be the origional to the car is that it was removed from the right rear corner of the car and it has a tiny RR stamped on one of the mounting eyes.
    I suppose that a very fastidious owner may have taken the trouble to mark the shock with its position but this strikes me as something more likely to have occurred back at the Lola factory. Or am I giving Lola too much credit ? I will have a good look at the other 3 and see if they are all marked for their respective position.

Greg

Liked: 319

Default Most likely a previous owner,

you give Lola too much credit.

Is this a 440 you are restoring?

Kip
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

No , it's a T492. I have a project T540 but its a long , long way away from seeing action again. I bought it a few years back as the start of a auto - X car. Don't worry , it was already a piece of junk that was realistically well beyond resurrection as a Formula Ford. It would have been a good addition to the bike engine T540 project { worst project ever } a couple of days ago. But too much distance involved to unite a pair of "on the verge of lost cause " Lola's.
    The 492 turned up as if by magic { karma ? } after a longish , unsuccessful hunt for a " affordable " Royale or similar project S2. I wasn't even really looking for a T492, having considered them beyond my budget. I am really happy this one turned up, it even { just } fitted my modest budget.

Greg
    Last edited by GreginCanada; 05.31.20 at 11:44 AM.

Thread Information