Liked: 6

Default Coventry Climax Groups?

Are there any online groups that might focus on building, maintaining and racing Coventry Climax engines? Specifically FWA, FWB and FWE?

I know that Mike Brotherwood is out there, and he's been very helpful with questions we have asked him so far. But I don't know how much to ask him about, since he's not being compensated for all the questions! At least not yet - we're still exploring what to do.

Thanks.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Bill Hutton up in Tenn. used to do a lot of these engines... not sure if he's still active...google, Hutton+Coventry Climax, Hutton Motor Engineering...

The Lotus elite group latest newsletter (Club Elite Newsletter #61) had a very detailed article on building up a 1220 FWA, first printed in 1988...not sure how much will apply to yours, but good info.

Of course Ted Wentz or Henry over in Sav. Race Engr. is another likely resource.... as are other "name" builders... albeit at some cost "due" if you really pick a brain....

Not aware of any online resources or chat groups... might be...just have to start search...

Good luck.

Bob L.

Liked: 6

Thanks.

One really cool thing is that one of my friend's son saw this post and he contacted me directly to see what my questions are.

It's just that I own various classic road/race cars and I've been on the early email lists from the 1980's, and now website boards about the cars, sharing technical information and build and repair details and tips to keep the cars running at top notch. So I was hoping for a similar source of information and perhaps camaraderie around building, maintaining and racing with the FWs.

There have been a handful of guys who have been super helpful. But there is a point where I don't want to be asking too many questions - and often times it takes a broad spectrum of folks to cover all aspects.

Things like:
    cam selection
    porting successes and failures
    3 or 5 bearing cams
    why do so many FW blocks have holes in the side of them
    how to drive the mechanical tach off of the cam rather than the generator
    who has a pair of original intakes for the Webers
    where is the line between a nice historic racing engine, versus a single race winning grenade
    Etc.

Thread Information