Liked: 0

Default Identifying a F440 on Facebook Marketplace...

So I know it can't be a 1970, as F440 didn't start until 1979-80, it's not a F500 because of the motor, and Chaparral is the motor, not the chassis maker. So what is it?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3714250282773/

Marc in Indy

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Maybe a Malibu Grand Prix car or similar..
    Graham

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Default Waddizit?

Has to be a one off Solo car.... Love the aerodynamic radiator! F440, F500 and F600's did not have rear wings. Do not see a fuel cell or fire system either....

Liked: 95

Looking at the graining on the tires and the rear wing, best guess is its a mini Indy car. Run on ovals in the mid west. Tough to tell what it started off as. No roll hoop, wonder why it was removed. Many of the mini indy cars I have seen had full roll cages. Unless you wanted a big project of hard to find parts, I would look for something else.

Liked: 1417

NAMRA Mini Indy car, judging by the Kalamazoo Speedway decal on the rear wing. Novel car, but I agree with the rest, best to avoid a basket case car with no class or place to race.

Liked: 1115

Run Away!!!
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Default New Owner

So, I bought a car a few days ago. I don't know much about it, but it looks like it will be lots of fun once I get it going. I started doing some research and came across this thread. I can tell you what I've found, and maybe you all can help me put some of the puzzle together. I'm attaching a picture of the car sitting in my store, with the body panels on. Also, there is a sticker on the rear wing dated 1986. The first thing I'm going to do is try to get the fuel lines and exhaust hooked up and get the car running. I was thinking of using standard snowmobile fuel lines. I am also thinking of using this as an autocross / solo car. Would the snowmobile fuel lines be fine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Race Car.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	90138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sticker.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	90139  

Liked: 307

Don't see a Main Roll Hoop!

As displayed - no matter what engine configuration is used is would be classed A Mod in autocross.

Legal F500's do not have wings, either front or rear.

Looks like the car may have been used in some non-SCCA organizations 'Mini-Indy' type class, back in the day.

It has 4 attach points for the main roll hoop, but the hoop is missing. I will have to fabricate something. I'm guessing it was built for oval tracks, because all of the weight (engine and fuel tank) is on the left side.

Liked: 536

Yeah, looks like a Mini-Indy. There's an old thread on these:

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ing-abut-these

Well, I'm convinced it's a NAMRA formula indy. I can't find much info online about this. It will be fun getting it going anyhow. Does anyone know what the specs for these cars are? I'd like to do a legit job of putting this car together as it should be.

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by The Curio View Post
    Well, I'm convinced it's a NAMRA formula indy. I can't find much info online about this. It will be fun getting it going anyhow. Does anyone know what the specs for these cars are? I'd like to do a legit job of putting this car together as it should be.
    Call up the SCCA General Competition Regulations (GCR) and review the car construction portions of it.

https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules

Liked: 2

Liked: 536

Wow, the way that engine is sitting it looks like a mini-super modified. Wonder how it handles with that weight differential.

Thanks for the SCCA regs. That will help with fabricating the roll hoop. I've installed new fuel lines, the harness, new brake line to the rear. Now I have to locate some tiny calipers for the front brakes.

Liked: 69

Quote Originally Posted by The Curio View Post
    Thanks for the SCCA regs. That will help with fabricating the roll hoop. I've installed new fuel lines, the harness, new brake line to the rear. Now I have to locate some tiny calipers for the front brakes.
    I may have something that will work (cheap too!)- will PM with some pics when I can get out to the shed in a bit!
    Craig Butt

Thread Information