Liked: 75

Default Sportsman of the Year Jim Belay

New Award for 2019 Presented to Jim Belay

From Pawleys Island,SC . Dec 22, 2019- The 2019 season winds down and Primus Racing Parts has decided to add one more award to wrap up another fabulous season Of f2000 Racing. We would also
    like to announce the new name for the series and new website address to go along with name change. The name change is being completed soon and it will be called http://www.PrimusF2000series.com
    We feel the new name be a logical step since Primus parts has been the title sponsor from the beginning. We will be adding some new corporate sponsors as well and hope to release that info after the 1st of the year. Yes I know I am the kingpin when it comes to bringing support for the series.( LOL) We are also adding a couple other big names to the driver line up including Derich Ketchie who just came off his solid 3rd place finish at the F1600 Runoffs category. Simon Reynolds a British veteran driver purchase a zetec powered Van Diemen so look for him to join in as many events as possible as he gets up to speed after a long layoff in racing. David klutnsenbaker has rumored to be getting his engine back in time to make the 3rd annual Quartermaster Classic in April. Also Stuart and Adam Jackson are rumored to have secured sponsorship from The Cod Father Fish and Chips restaurant based in Charleston,SC. Many of the original series drivers are telling me they are attending at least 4 of these events in order to have a crack at the top paying points positions. Tom Hope just purchased a New 2018 VD chassis through Primus Parts and he is committing to bringing his three team drivers to the final event of the year at Road Atlanta. Scott Vreeland (Pacific driver)says he will try and make the Barber event in May after his steller performance at the east coast Quartermaster Classic. We also expect several other drivers to make the trip down to the PrimusF2000series for the Joint FRP events in May and July. The 2019 top 3 positions in points will receivetheir free parts for the points payout. Muaro Fauza (set of OZ wheels) Doug Stewart ( new front PRP frt wing assy) Jim Belay (set of Wilwood calipers) they will also receive crystal trophies and OZ wheel racing Jackets.
    Now that I am finished making a quick few 2020 updates I would like to talk about our sportsman of the year award. The 2019 recipient for the Sportsman of the year award with be given to Jim Belay who we have all come to know him as IRon MAN BELAY. The guy has more f2000 starts then anyone on the planet and he is really deserving of this award because of his determination to hang in there under the most adverse condition. Jim's history in racing is that of storybook stature so I would like to read you the highlights of himself and wife Carol who I have know since i came on the scene in 1988. It all started for Jim back in the mid seventies when he met Carol over in the UK when they are both going to school as military brats. You might call it love at first sight . The first date was at one of the popular British racing circuits where they were holding a Formula I race with all the legendary drivers like Niki lauda , James Hunt and Gilles Villenuve etc.. Jim took Carol to this race and they really bonded and were just covered in mud and Jim had to take Carol home completely covered in mud from head to toe. Needless to say it probably wasnt the best first impression he could have hoped for. Well they both moved back to the states and continued schooling as they both gained degrees in their perspective fields.
    Just a few years later the two ended up getting married and the racing began. Jim started in various sedans and then he ended up buying one of the first Spec racer formula Renault. At the same time he met a friend which ended up being his best friend to this day, Skip Weld. Skip was a very generous chap and he let Jim Run his 1984 Reynard FC car. Jim was immediately hooked as he was doing double duty at Savannah running both SCCA Spec Renault and the Reynard FC. Jim ran the car few seasons and then bought a new 1988 Van Diemen FC from then importer Michael Gue who had also got me into a brand new 88 FC Van Diemen. In 1990 Primus racing took over the Van Diemen importership from Essex and we ended up selling Jim a 1993 Van Diemen. A few years later we sold Jim a 2001 Van Diemen which he still runs today in his signature Liget Blue . Jim had done may races over all these years and has started over 200 races in all this time. The couple had a beautiful daughter , so the racing had to take a back burner for a few years until the PrimusF2000series came along. now the rest is history. He has finished in top 3 in points each year since the series started but I believe his skills are as good as back in the day. Jim is a great guy and he would give you the shirt off his back and now with his new motorcoach he will arrive on time so everyone better watch out because he will be gunning for the 2020 title.
    We will officially announce the 2020 schedule after the 1st of the year and also look to hear about any new sponsors.

Stay tuned and thanks to everyone for a great year.

Regards, Brad

current series website www.southernformulacar.com

Primus Racing Parts9737 Ocean Hwy
    Pawleys Island, SC. 29585Website: Primusracingparts.comEmail: Sales@primusracingparts.comCell & Text 727-804-7417Office Phone 843-314-3893race series website : southernformulacar.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1487

Nobody more deserving than Jim! He (and Skip) gave me a ton of help when I was back east.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1111

What a great story, I love it.

Lost track of how many times the Missus and I have been covered in mud; at races, or while climbing and backpacking.

Maybe that's the ticket, as we've been together over 41 years -- and we still hope to race before much longer after much adversity of our own.

Thanks for the post, with Congrats to Jim and Carol!!!

Thread Information