Liked: 536

Default I guess this is a "what izzit?"

I'm sure it's a simple question, I'm just not familiar enough with the cars to know the manufacturers. All the guy says is it's a "vintage FV with dirt tires" - hehe.

Maybe dirt track Vees? That could be fun ;-)

Liked: 58

Lynx with an Elite body. Noting you're in Olympia Wa it is not a known car in the Northwest

Thanks Bob. I've actually been in SCCA nearly 30 years, doing various things, now I'm gazing at FVs for sale so I can play with SOVREN. Since The Ridge is so close to me, I wanna drive open wheel again. :-)

- David Coffman (Here's why I'm Bardahl77)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bardhal2.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	88343  

Liked: 301

That's a Caracal-C with an Elite body & modern-era Goodyear rain tires.
    Not a "vintage" car... yet.
    Glenn
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/att...2&d=1510327625

Hmmm, looks like a slight difference of opinion. If there's a different body on, how do you tell what the frame is?

On a slightly different note, is there a good source for seeing the various makes of FVs? You know, I've done tech on cars including Vees, never paid a lot of attention to the make of car. Something to study in my old age!

-DavidC

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default V info in pcnw

Look to the post of Mr Posner, very fast in anything with wheels! Pretty much so on the pointy end of the open wheel Sovren group. His son was on the podium at the runoffs in a vee a few years back.

Best of luck!!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Quote Originally Posted by Bardahl77 View Post
    Hmmm, looks like a slight difference of opinion. If there's a different body on, how do you tell what the frame is?

On a slightly different note, is there a good source for seeing the various makes of FVs? You know, I've done tech on cars including Vees, never paid a lot of attention to the make of car. Something to study in my old age!

-DavidC
    Apex speed is good - the for sale ads

Here is another http://yellowvee.com/

Here http://www.formulavee.us/index.htm

and here: http://www.nefv.org/

ChrisZ

Liked: 307

-DavidC
    Lynx and Caracal are the same designs - when Ford wanted their compact car to called a Lynx, they bought the name from John Mills who was making FVs' by that name. Mills then changed the name to Caracal. Fred Clark bought the Caracal business from Mr. Mills in the 1980's. Both Lynx and Caracal are wild cats.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks! That clears that up. If I go looking for a vintage FV, Monoposto rules seem to say pre-76. I would assume that having a fan shroud and generator is a good tipoff for vintage. Although I guess you can retrofit those if the car was updated later in life.

What I like about FV is the simplicity and inexpensiveness. F500 is cheap too, but 2-strokes and CVTs are a mystery to me. I can work on a 1200, just have to find a car for a decent price in the region. (Missed out on a nice RCA a while back).

At least this is an active forum, nice to see a lot of experienced folks here that like to answer questions. I will probably have a few as time goes on!

DavidC

Liked: 7

Default Proposed SOVREN Club Formula Vee for 2020

Thanks! That clears that up. If I go looking for a vintage FV, Monoposto rules seem to say pre-76. I would assume that having a fan shroud and generator is a good tipoff for vintage. Although I guess you can retrofit those if the car was updated later in life.

What I like about FV is the simplicity and inexpensiveness. F500 is cheap too, but 2-strokes and CVTs are a mystery to me. I can work on a 1200, just have to find a car for a decent price in the region. (Missed out on a nice RCA a while back).

At least this is an active forum, nice to see a lot of experienced folks here that like to answer questions. I will probably have a few as time goes on!

DavidC
    SOVREN is considering my proposal for a " Club Formula Vee" class which is based on Monoposto rules with a number of exceptions allowing formula vee cars from 1976 to 1983. It will be discussed at their next executive meeting. I am hopeful the proposal will be accepted and adopted at least in part for 2020 SOVREN events.

Lou LeBlanc,
    1976 Legrand MK !7 FV

Liked: 301

Lynx became Caracal in the early 1980's.
    The Lynx-B frame ends under the bellhousing & has trailing arms that went forward from the rear axles.
    The Caracal-C frame extends to the rear of the transmission & has leading arms that went rearward from the axles.
    There are no trailing arms in the original post photo.
    I owned & raced a Caracal-C, with an Elite body, from 1990 to 2000.
    Glenn
    "I'm jus' sayin'..."

Thread Information