Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Apparently you do not know what "Errors and Omissions" means.
    I know exactly what errors and omissions means. There must be some process and criteria for its use. Like typos, or editing errors.

Otherwise, you are just going to accept a rule change under the guise of "errors and omissions" any time the CRB wants a rule changed without member input.

By the way, how many 5 lug VW drums do you still have laying around?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    ..Funny, but the SCCA does not seem to fix things on their own -
    SCCA is a membership club. The competitor of each class are responsible for for their own rule sets. Think of the CRB as referees. They try to keep things logical and fair.

Brian

Liked: 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I know exactly what errors and omissions means. There must be some process and criteria for its use. Like typos, or editing errors.

Otherwise, you are just going to accept a rule change under the guise of "errors and omissions" any time the CRB wants a rule changed without member input.

By the way, how many 5 lug VW drums do you still have laying around?
    You forgot : Or when a new rule allows a different interpretation of an older, well established rule.

Sold the last of my 100 drum batch a few weeks ago, and shortly will be looking for a new foundry to do the next batch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    You forgot : Or when a new rule allows a different interpretation of an older, well established rule.
    I'd argue it's not a different interpretation. The rule has always meant the same thing. The difference is now the new rule allows one to more easily utilize the allowances the old rule permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Pare
    Sold the last of my 100 drum batch a few weeks ago, and shortly will be looking for a new foundry to do the next batch.
    Then, it would make sense you would want this rule changed before shortly arrives.

Makes no damned difference to me, and such an accusation is beyond the bounds, even for you.

AS to interpretation, when the wheel rule was written, only stock configuration 1200 and 1300 drums with the standard 5x205 lug pattern were allowed, and all of the 1200 and 1300 Type 1 drums were 5x205 lug layout. The part of the rule allowing non-VW-produced steel wheels, by direct inference, allowed only wheels of that same 5x205 configuration simply because of the restriction of what they were being bolted to - stock Type 1 1200 and 1300 5x205 configuration drums.

So yes, the allowance of custom disk brakes does indeed allow a different interpretation of the wheel rule from what it originally intended, and was an oversight by the disk brake rule writers.

So, it is now up to the FV community to decide whether or not they want to allow this change or not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R.Pare
    So, it is now up to the FV community to decide whether or not they want to allow this change or not.
    Yep.

They either:

(1) leave it alone
    or (2) change the wheel rule to disallow wheels that have always been allowed
    or (3) change the disc brake hub rule to mandate 5 x 205mm BC so people can't utilize the inexpensive disc brake alternatives.

Liked: 896

Yep.

They either:

(1) leave it alone
    or (2) change the wheel rule to disallow wheels that have always been allowed
    or (3) change the disc brake hub rule to mandate 5 x 205mm BC so people can't utilize the inexpensive disc brake alternatives.

I note that you have little confidence in the club and its membership Daryl. Are you a Vee racer?
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Just as an FYI. the 4 bolt rear drums are wider but have all the meat in the desirable places to turn down to match a 5-bolt drum. I have taken genuine VW 4-hole drums from the wrecking yard, turned down, and tapped for wide-5. They may not have been ICP calibre but the next best thing. Not sure how that info fits into the drum/disc/wheel discussion, but it may be another option. I never tried it with fronts.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    I note that you have little confidence in the club and its membership Daryl. Are you a Vee racer?
    The lack of confidence is in the CRB, club leadership, and the associated politics, not the membership or the advisory committees.

Sold my FV over a decade ago. No plans to return, no letters to be written by me.

Liked: 118

The lack of confidence is in the CRB, club leadership, and the associated politics, not the membership or the advisory committees.

Sold my FV over a decade ago. No plans to return, no letters to be written by me.
    I hope to God I'm not on here 10 years after I sell my Vee arguing with people I don't even know.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sharp View Post
    I hope to God I'm not on here 10 years after I sell my Vee arguing with people I don't even know.

Ha ha. One can hope, huh? I'll quit debating when I stop having an opinion. If you don't want to read my opinion because I no longer own a FV try the "ignore" feature.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 10.26.19 at 7:53 PM.

Liked: 118

Nothing personal. I just saw a chance for a joke and I took it !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information