Liked: 6

Default Different Helwand Input Shafts

For our Alfa engine to go on a Hewland, here is what I think I've figured out for different input shafts:

11.56" - Formula Ford - what I think we have now in our Hewland
    10.8" - What I think we need
    10.38" - Super Vee size
    10.06" - Another input shaft we got (we got it from the shop that took our engine off a Hewland many years ago, and replace it with a Ford. They think it was the one on the car.)

Some questions:

(1) Anyone have or know of a 10.8" input shaft?
    (2) Anyone know what a 10.06" input shaft might be from?
    (3) Is there a chance that there are different length input shaft couplings that might move the input shaft in our out up to .5"?

(Yes, I've never been in a Hewland box - maybe it's obvious the coupling can be only one size. But that's what would make sense if the 10.06" input shaft is the correct one).

Liked: 319

Default What trans/motor/adapter

Jay,

Could you clarify what cc Alfa twincam you are using?

What Hewland transaxle (mk5/8/9 or FT200)?

The reason I am asking is I have a Kennedy Engineering Products adapter that I am told by KEP will fit an Alfa Twincam 1600, 1750, or 2000 and mates it to a Hewland Mk series. KEP would not clarify if it fit a 1300.

I also used to own a 1300 Alfa Twincam with adapter and flywheel that came out of a mid 1960s Dolphin sports racer that had a MK 4 or 5 transaxle. My memory of it makes me believe that adapter was not nearly as thick as the KEP adapter that I have now hanging on the wall. (wish I still had that motor; lost it in the divorce back in 2000.)

I currently have a Lola 340 FF that was converted to D S/R back in the early 1980s with Nissan 1300 motor in it. I'd really like to stuff a 1300 Alfa in it, so my curiosity is more than just a passing interest.

Thanks,

Kip
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Liked: 96

Three ideas. If you have enough spline length on the clutch end, just shorten the input shaft by the amount needed.
    If there is enough spline engagement with the 10.38" shaft, extend the pilot bearing. If those will not work, machine up a 5/8" spacer
    to place between the transaxle case and the adapter. Just my $0.02.

john f

Thread Information