Thread: Axle/Side gears

Liked: 118

Default Axle/Side gears

I am doing my first work on a swing axle transmission on my new Vee. I needed to replace the gaskets on the axle tube retainer. My question is: how far should the end of the axle go into the side gear? I know about stacking the gaskets to get clearance, but even with more gaskets that came off, the axle is butted up against the inside of the side gear which is limiting the range of motion of the axle by a lot. If I pull the axle out of the side gear by about 1/8" it has full range of motion-but that is a lot of gaskets. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks,
    Garry

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Gary,

There are different length axles and also axle housings.

Measure them up and have the dimensions ready for when someone chimes in.

Don't assume because they came apart that they were put together correctly.....

"I know about stacking the gaskets to get clearance"

This is just for play in the axle tube - you can set this without the axle - so I am a little confused.

ChrisZ

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

While removing the axle tube, you probably let a fulcrum plate fall behind the end of the axle. Remove the axle and start over. Make sure the fulcrum plate is in good condition. Also that the axle tube bell flange is not bent at the mounting holes.

Brian

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

A couple more questions:

How much resistance (set by the gaskets) should there be when moving just the axle tube around? This transmission has the plastic packing piece. Should there be any "side play" at all in the axle tube?

Also, what is the maximum negative degrees of travel needed of the axle assembly?

PS: Don't worry I'm not going to ask this many questions for everything I have to do. Most of the rest I have to do I've been through with my other car.

Thanks for everything,
    Garry

I think I fixed it. I took everything apart, freed up the axle tubes a little with gaskets put it back together and it seems to be fine. I can get about 6 degrees of negative motion now with little drag.

Liked: 58

Default axle tube

Garry
    Not sure what 6 degrees equates to as I am nowhere near a car for the next 2 days.
    The axle tube should be able to move freely from the top of the differential side plate to the bottom of the plate. It should also be able to move horizontally as much.
    If there is any binding, either there are not enough gaskets( usually 2 or 3) or the bell on the tube is damaged.
    Lastly, grabbing the axle tube, there should be little to no play in and out.
    Hope this helps.
    Dietmar
    www.quixoteracing.com

OK thanks. That's pretty much what it does now.

Thread Information