Thread: Aim MXM

Liked: 3

Default Aim MXM

Has anyone replaced their older Aim system with the new MxMini.
    I have a Mycrhon3 gold that I want to replace.
    I am concerned that I will have to change all of the sensors and cables which will drive the price up significantly.

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by dd46637 View Post
    I am concerned that I will have to change all of the sensors and cables which will drive the price up significantly.
    Surely a quick call to Peter Krause will get you all the answers (and costs) you seek?
    Ian Macpherson
    Savannah, GA
    Race prep, support, and engineering.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by dd46637 View Post
    It depends on what you have going into your M3. I've worked with a few people that have done the same update without any trouble. Since you probably have the 712 connectors, you would need different patch cables (the MXm has 719 connectors). If you wanted to stay with the sensors and patch cables you have, you could do an Evo4s w/ GS Dash and it would be nearly plug and play.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 110

Can I ask what you are trying to achieve? The old school Mychron 3 is pretty good (I still use one); just does not have GPS.

If you want to log lambda, both 3 and MXM need an expensive LCU box.

A full set of sensors and cables for the MXM adds at least 50% to the cost. Maybe more.

Much cheaper is the karting Mychron 5 (see other threads on this site). It has GPS and G force and wifi transmission to a laptop. It just lacks oil pressure logging. But nothing wrong with an old school direct reading gauge. If you want lambda, you still need the LCU box. With the karting unit, you can set 10 way points and look at sector times and calculate best potential lap (this takes all of 20 seconds to do). Same software too.

I run 2 cars; one with a 3XG and the other a 5. I have an LCU. I prefer the 5. Much easier to use.

I saw the recent thread about the m5. I was mainly searching for a way to get rid of the trackside beacon. My unit works fine but I am my own crew and remembering to chase down the beacon is an extra task that I can do without.
    I thought maybe using a Solo 2 along with the m3 would be an alternative. I would still get the data I need and eliminate the beacon.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Can't you just get the Module from Pegasus?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...waAiXgEALw_wcB
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    Can't you just get the Module from Pegasus?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...waAiXgEALw_wcB
    I don't think the MyChron is set up to use GPS.
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Liked: 553

It's been a while but I think Ellen helped me set up GPS for my XGLog Mychron3 a few years ago (after I got tired of leaving the beacon at the track).

Peter Krause help me find a used EVO4/G-Dash, which I'm happy with. I considered the MxM but it didn't have something I needed (maybe the ability to add sensors/inputs?).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

The mycrhon 3 that I have is not adaptable to the GPS module. It's 13 years old and still going.
    Seems as if there are compromises with most of the options.
    I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible. After all my budget has limits and the more I spend on data will mean less actual racing.
    Maybe the best solution is to just put up with the beacon for another season and deal with it next year.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave Dawson

Liked: 280

I too have a MyChron3 (in the ITB car), 14-15 years old and still ticking... but the internal (lat) accelerometer packed it in a while back, unfortunately... I'm thinking I'll probably switch it over to the MXm in another year or so; have analog inputs, otherwise I'd just get one of the Solo2s... or maybe I'll just bail on the analog inputs anyway...
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

I printed a very simple “BEACON” sign and put it on the steering wheel of my tow vehicle so as not to forget it. I also put my name, car number, class and phone number on the beacon so someone can contact me if need be.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information