Thread: Safety Harness

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default Safety Harness

Need new belts. Looking for recommendations of what others may be using (make and model). I use to get Willans, but it looks like they are not available at this time. I prefer the sewn loop for the shoulder belt attachment. Also, what are the lengths for each belt? The other thing I have noticed is that the newer belts are using 2” at should and lap rather than 3”. What is the reason for this?

Liked: 530

I have OMP in my PFM. 2” shoulder is for HANS. Don’t know anything about 2” lap, mine are 3”.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

I bought Simpson for my first FF but my 2nd one had Willans and I have never switched! I've had the Silverstone and I think the Club (man?) types and love the way they fit and tightened. They were 3" shoulder and lap with 1" sub. I got an SFI recert on a set a couple years ago but when I took them to SVRA, they said they weren't the right SFI label and were therefore only good for 2 years and thus expired.

Looking around, found the best price at Pegasus for the "Sabelt Steel Series S622 Formula 2x2 FIA Harness, Pull Up" belts, which have all 6 belts at 2" wide. Not sure how they'll feel on track but the fit over my HANS will be a lot better. The 3" wide took some fiddling to get in place in the car. I'm not sure I like the 2" sub belts but I'll find out in 3 weeks.

I recall reading somewhere that the 2" lap was determined to have negligible effect on protection so some were going to it.

Now it looks like I'll have to get another pair for the Zink since recert isn't an option that appears available anymore.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by glm34 View Post
    . . . . . . newer belts are using 2” at shoulder and lap rather than 3”. What is the reason for this?
    2" shoulder belts are for HANS.

2" lap belts are safer than 3" - lap belts must restrain the strong structure of the pelvis and not
    'ride' up into the soft tissue belly area. To do this they must locate in the concave area of the pelvis
    below the ilium crests (the widest bit of the pelvis). 2" can. 3" can't. Obviously anchorage location
    and therefore belt location also needs to be correct - too many people have anchorages too far
    rearwards thus encouraging the belts to slip over the pelvic crests into the soft internal organs.

Liked: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that the 2" lap was determined to have negligible effect on protection . . . . . .
    Not true - see my reply few minutes ago. 2" are safer.

Liked: 59

I prefer the Schroth Formula 2x2 pull-ups. Call HMS in Mooresville, NC if you choose them. They can configure pretty much however you prefer them.

Additional discussion in this thread:

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ommended-belts

Best regards,
    Erics
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default 2” vs 3” lap belt

Dereklola was correct:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84FCA699-81AD-4C85-9A13-91798843BE2A.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	84096  

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 126

I've re-belted several car over the past couple years. The function is more important than brand. I prefer pull-up laps and pull-down shoulders, all in 2". For formula cars I prefer loop style subs over the type that clip into the cam lock, more room for your scrotum that way. Some prefer the laps that can only be adjusted with the seat out, one less piece of hardware that way, but then the belt is in a locked in length (no big lunches or second drivers). Spend the $$ on FIA belts, the 2-year cert for SFI is a waste.
    TroyT - SFR SCCA, VARA, CSRG, SVRA
    www.ThingsThatGoVroom.net
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 59

Roger all on preferences, TroyT. Those are the key features I’ve found with my preferred brand. Only additional comment is that I believe GCR has been changed to allow effective 5-year life from SFI harnesses. Prior to change I absolutely agree with SFI comment and I’ve not bought harnesses other than FIA very since the whole idea of limited harness lifetime was invented.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Thread Information