Liked: 80

Default Falling off body work

So at the Last event at Crow's landing I must have hit a cone at speed and broke the hold down screw to the rear body work, I heard the first cone hit but I thought I just hit a cone no big deal and I didn't even slowing down got air under the rear body work and tore it off. Well now I have a big mess of RBW and have order new RBW but won't be here for 2 months or more, working on other options but won't know until later today.

So the 2 hour drive home I was Thinking, What if this happen at the National's with no option or spare sitting in the truck/trailer and when the BW came off and didn't hit a cone and I finish my timed run, would I get a DNF?

Now some of you will go... can he pass weight and with the RBW only weighing in a 10lbs and I usually weigh over 10 to 15+ over on my last run it may not be a problem.

Go.

Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_122032.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	84086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_122019.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	84088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190305_122024.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	84087  

Last edited by CM/FFdriver; 03.05.19 at 4:30 PM.

Liked: 1115

This is why you never paint your car in a color not available in tape. Lots of tape.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 74

That's a bummer! Sorry!
    Assuming you make weight, I think it would be up to your competitors to protest your run(s). I don't think that the bodywork falling off would be something the course workers or T&S would automatically DNF you for. Oddly enough, I was looking at the GCR's today and came across this line: "All bodywork shall be attached to the chassis such that it is not capable of coming loose when the car is in operation.". So, technically, the fact that it came off is a problem. Then, there's the "new" idea that the bodywork needs to be "correct". Personally, I think smashed bodywork is bad enough and I wouldn't protest you.
    Barry

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    This is why you never paint your car in a color not available in tape. Lots of tape.
    Good call! I had my reynard painted to match the yellow tape I had :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ott View Post
    "All bodywork shall be attached to the chassis such that it is not capable of coming loose when the car is in operation.". So, technically, the fact that it came off is a problem. Then, there's the "new" idea that the bodywork needs to be "correct". Personally, I think smashed bodywork is bad enough and I wouldn't protest you.
    Barry
    I agree with you that my bodywork should be attached but when cone hit something at speed, cones can be amazingly hard.

2007 National's I don't remember who it was but a car came off course with a flat rear tire and when I went back to check out what happen a cone had sheared off the valve stem, I've seen front tire stopped by a cone wedged underneath the fender well. My Son had a huge bruise on his shoulder when he hit a cone at speed.

I'm just chalking it up to **** happens.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I have white tape because I did know that I had this much RBW left, we'll see.

Ben

Liked: 183

IMO, I think you can put humpty dumpty back together again. Won't be pretty, more like Frankenstein, but it would be functional

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 309

Default Bummer...

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    ...when the BW came off and didn't hit a cone and I finish my timed run, would I get a DNF?

Now some of you will go... can he pass weight and with the RBW only weighing in a 10lbs and I usually weigh over 10 to 15+ over on my last run it may not be a problem.
    First off, bummer on the misfortune!

Second, as long as the car makes weight and bodywork that fell off didn't (falsely) trip the lights, I would say the run would stand. Subsequent runs would be my question; could you complete your runs sans bodywork? In that case, I would ask an Op Steward for clarification before proceeding.
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

are you getting the new bodywork from the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    are you getting the new bodywork from the UK?
    Yes, very good possibility but I'm not sure yet, that's why it could take 2 to 4 months I guess it's based on shipping container.

Ben

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ott View Post
    Then, there's the "new" idea that the bodywork needs to be "correct".
    Here's the thread Barry is referencing. People wanted to remove panels to cut weight, but other people want the SCCA to review anyone with modified bodywork.

https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...for-C-Modified

I think the rules are plenty clear already. Some panels are required for safety, and you get a DNF for bodywork falling off during the event (because safety).

I don't know why people keep trying to add all this extra junk to the rules, especially when removing panels doesn't provide any performance benefit. We should enforce the existing rules and stop trying to add more.

Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
    We should enforce the existing rules and stop trying to add more.
    Where have I heard this before???

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Well Thank you All,

It's good to be in the know.

After I get the new RBW I will checking, taping, safety wire the screws maybe to the body to the frame as back up from now on.

My Take back on all this is we all need to be careful about the bodywork we all have on our cars at events that mean something. If your running your car without the tail for a 85 to 88 Van Diemen or without the air scoop for a Van Diemen, Reynard and Mondiale's or not having the right bodywork for the car at the time it was made could leave yourself open to an interesting discussion.

I'm going to fix the bodywork now for the National Tour but run without until then and hope that my new bodywork shows up before the National's, or get someone to make a mold for my RBW now to have a back up just in case.

Ben

Thread Information