Thread: Clutches

Liked: 492

Default Clutches

Due to the extended life we are getting out of the Formula Ford engines now, we are seeing clutch spline problems quite often. When the splines wear out in the discs, and the input shaft spins inside it, the input shaft is almost always ruined. (currently around $650) In addition to ruining your race weekend, this extra cost makes replacing the clutch before it fails a good thing. You can keep an eye on the issue by checking the radial play in the layshaft. (the lower large nut when you change gears) I can't give a number of degrees of play before the clutch needs replacing. When it starts to feel sloppy to me I replace it. I only have cars with F-3 style clutches, so I do not know if the stock clutches also have this problem. I am sure much of the wear is caused by the fact that most of the adaptor plates are not truly square, and do not place the centerline of the engine perfectly on the centerline of the transmission. YMMV
    Last edited by Roland V. Johnson; 02.28.19 at 6:21 PM.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 492

Default FF

You know I should try that. I would have to send the input shaft also, I'm sure. I could also get everyone to let me spend the time to make sure the adaptor plates were modern and true. It is only money!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 313

I had a clutch strip out a few years ago and was told the AP disc was better material, heat treat or something. Anyway, I use the AP part and haven't had trouble since. Anybody else have that experience? BTW Averill has the AP part and supports the GLC, so easy decision.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    You know I should try that. I would have to send the input shaft also, I'm sure. I could also get everyone to let me spend the time to make sure the adaptor plates were modern and true. It is only money!
    Roland, I Cryo treat a lot of Tilton clutch assemblies here. Yes,....discs, floaters, pressure plates and clutch cover.
    I also do a ton of input shafts for a gearbox builder that won't assemble a Hewland box unless it's completely Cryo and REM-ISF treated.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Thread Information