Liked: 20

Default Is this Hewland dogring usable?

I picked up a cheap used dogring for a Hewland DGB trans. I see some wear on a couple of the dogs that I am not sure is OK. I bought it to have a spare to keep in the track spares box, but I don't want to risk using a part that will be prone to failure. Can I get some opinions on the usability of this dogring? I realize pics may not tell the whole story, but can't hurt to ask ... I can catch a fingernail on a few imperfections like in the closeup pic. Thank you in advance.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogring2.JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	82740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogring1.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	82739  

Liked: 802

I don't know DGB boxes, but I've seen much worse rings come out of MK9's and LD200's that the driver was unaware of. YMMV.

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 16

Looks good to me, I would buy it and use it no problems. looks like a dog would after one race meeting

Liked: 85

Depends on fork alignment and how well it engages. I would say use in emergency and be prepared to hold it in gear!!

Quote Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
    I picked up a cheap used dogring for a Hewland DGB trans. I see some wear on a couple of the dogs that I am not sure is OK. I bought it to have a spare to keep in the track spares box, but I don't want to risk using a part that will be prone to failure. Can I get some opinions on the usability of this dogring? I realize pics may not tell the whole story, but can't hurt to ask ... I can catch a fingernail on a few imperfections like in the closeup pic. Thank you in advance.

Scott

Liked: 23

I would get it magnafluxed to make sure it wasn't cracked (it's a spare-get it done with other pcs) and if it isn't tapered or too rounded it should work OK, remember how it's supposed to work. With imperfections you might get more wear quickly.

Thanks for the input, guys - much appreciated. Specifically it is the spots that I can catch a nail on that concerned me. Should I be concerned about that? I can't tell if they are cracks per se.

Liked: 610

Default Dog Ring

No.
    A DGB box is going to be used with something that has lot's of power.
    I would not.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    No.
    A DGB box is going to be used with something that has lot's of power.
    I would not.

Thanks ... do you mean No you wouldn't use the dogring, or No you wouldn't worry about using it?

Liked: 3787

Keith is saying don't use it.

I would keep it in the trailer to use between 3rd and 4th when needed. Would not use it between 1st and 2nd.

Liked: 141

How about between 4th and 5th not 2nd and 3rd? 5 speed?

Thanks again, guys. Sounds like this dogring may not be the best candidate. I'll just get a new one to keep as a spare - they're not that expensive.

Scott

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 23

Steve, if you want dog rings or other DG-B part (also fit Lola and March of that era internals) I've got a lot of DG-B spares from my DSR Indy car- dog rings like new. $50. PM me if you are looking for anything DG-B

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys - much appreciated. Specifically it is the spots that I can catch a nail on that concerned me. Should I be concerned about that? I can't tell if they are cracks per se.
    Use a hard file or dremel to smooth out the high spots and use it as a hard time spare.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Thread Information