Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default FV indentification....real or copy ?

Hello, i'm french and register since april 2018
    It's my first post in the forum

A little question, is it easy to identify the real FV ? all FV's had a VIN number ?

Thx
    JLC

nb so sorry for my poor US language

Liked: 1403

Quote Originally Posted by rapido View Post
    Hello, i'm french and register since april 2018
    It's my first post in the forum

A little question, is it easy to identify the real FV ? all FV's had a VIN number ?

Thx
    JLC

nb so sorry for my poor US language
    Formula Vee is a car built to the rules in the Sports Car Club of America rule book (GCR as it is referred to). The car either conforms to those rules and is considered a FV or it does not and is not a FV.

FV is over 50 years old in the US and there have been numerous builders of FV cars over the years. In the early days of FV, after VW became involved, the rules in Germany and the US were the same. The US rules have not changed very much since then but other countries that have a FV class have much different cars.

I hope this explanation helped. I was a very bad French student decades ago, so I won't even attempt a translation.

Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Last edited by Dave Woodmancy; 11.29.18 at 11:24 PM.

Contributing Member

Default FV racecar......

i'm join the FV community on ApexSpeed only for the FV racecar ....not for the FV Beetle special series.
    Thx for your help !
    Cheers
    JLC

Liked: 58

FV's don't have a VIN number, though many may have a stamp on the rollbar that has a number showing thay the car was homologated....or inspected to meet the rules at that time. There were many manufactuers of Vees, and what makes one "real"or not real would be simply wether or not it conforms to the rules.
    Some cars that were built have been copied, for example there is a "Citation" and then other people have built their own cars based in that same design. But one is not more real than the other.
    If you are looking to restore an old Vee where originality may be important, then you would have to research that particular make.
    Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

Liked: 58

Default Fv identification

Rapido:
    J'ai un client en Belgique avec lequel vous pouvez discuter de FV. Envoyez moi un e-mail et je vous donnerai son adresse. Un peu plus pres de chez vous.

I have a customer in Belgium with whom you might discuss FV. Send me an e-mail and I will forward his address to you. A bit closer to you.
    Dietmar
    fvraceri@cox.net
    www.quixoteracing.com

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Hello !
    In first, thank you Stumpthumper.......it's clear !
    In second, Dietmar, many thx, you have a PM.
    En second, Dietma, merci beaucoup, vous avez un message privé !
    Cheers
    JLC
    Just for fun, an old vee in Monthléry (FRANCE)

montlhery_028 by rapido356, sur Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar View Post
    Rapido:
    J'ai un client en Belgique avec lequel vous pouvez discuter de FV. Envoyez moi un e-mail et je vous donnerai son adresse. Un peu plus pres de chez vous.

I have a customer in Belgium with whom you might discuss FV. Send me an e-mail and I will forward his address to you. A bit closer to you.
    Dietmar
    fvraceri@cox.net
    www.quixoteracing.com

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

Early Formcar's were serialized with stamped tags that were welded to the chassis.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 832

Rapido,
    Surely you must know ... or know OF Renaud Lechalier. He owns or is part owner of several FV Formcars and has imported 2 or 3 from the USA. He knows EVERYTHING about the early Formcars and races at Monthléry often. If you don't know him, check out http://www.FormcarRegistry.com and go to the registry page. He shows up on several of the cars in the list with his contact info.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Contributing Member

Default Yes !

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Rapido,
    Surely you must know ... or know OF Renaud Lechalier. He owns or is part owner of several FV Formcars and has imported 2 or 3 from the USA. He knows EVERYTHING about the early Formcars and races at Monthléry often. If you don't know him, check out http://www.FormcarRegistry.com and go to the registry page. He shows up on several of the cars in the list with his contact info.
    Hi Steve, yes, i know Renaud.....and yes, he had a very good idea to bought a formcar FV !
    Thank you so much

JLC.

formcr by rapido356, sur Flickr

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    Early Formcar's were serialized with stamped tags that were welded to the chassis.
    Thank you lawrence....interesting !
    JLC

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

We assembled 2 of the 3 kits that Porsche U.S. bought in 1965 and stored in a warehouse in LA. They were sold on eBay in the late 90's and brought to the NW US (Spokane). 2 are still in Spokane, one is in our shop now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW Formcar 001.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	82277  
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    We assembled 2 of the 3 kits that Porsche U.S. bought in 1965 and stored in a warehouse in LA. They were sold on eBay in the late 90's and brought to the NW US (Spokane). 2 are still in Spokane, one is in our shop now.
    Thanks a lot for this precision !
    JLC

Thread Information