Liked: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Biondoveloce View Post
    Hello Bob.
    Always interested...
    1991 Swift DB4 #00491
    Former Bill Fickling owned P1 Racing Team car for Steve O'Hara
    Thanks,
    Damian della Santina, CA
    Thanks Damian. Car looks great. Where do you run the car?

Default FIA/F1 Changes

All, if you haven’t yet please go to your favorite browser and lookup the changes for the 2021 season in F1. I would love to hear comments on how /when it will affect all open wheel cars.

Liked: 279

Any news on the Toyota 1600 project?
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Hi Joel,

Behind schedule but not for lack of trying to do this on a budget. Very encouraged about our progress of late and will send more details in the form of questions in the next couple of weeks. However, this all boils down to how many people will actually step up to order new purpose built race heads? The higher the commitment, the lower the price. And as we all know the availability of "new" OEM heads is scarce at best. And the alternative is very expensive and not practical.
    As I mentioned recently I was able to find an OEM head and it seems to be performing (650 miles so far) and headed to Runoffs next month. Regardless, we will have a solution shortly that will be faster, better, and cheaper than currently.

Thanks for staying interested.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jchracer View Post
    Any news on the Toyota 1600 project?

Liked: 0

Default FA Registry

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Corliss View Post
    Thanks Damian. Car looks great. Where do you run the car?
    Hi Bob. I don't know why I didn't see your response... I live in Southern Cali. Except for running at Indy in 2016, we really only have time to play out on the West Coast. SVRA at Fontana. Occasionally Willow. Hoping to get up to Laguna in December. Hope all is well. Any further progress with the registry?

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Hey guys (and gals??). Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing (RMVR) is planning on a featured "BOSS" (Big Open Wheel Single Seater) Run Group at our annual RAKC Race Against Kids' Cancer this coming Aug. 1-2. While it's a vintage race weekend, for this one-time featured Run Group we're accepting any and all BOSS cars, even if not vintage. Hopefully a lot of you FA folks are looking to satisfy your need for speed.

Maybe you'd like to run High Plains Raceway in Colorado. Maybe you'd like to help us make the event a great event (read good fund raising for the cancer research). Or maybe you'd just like to run with some different folks at a different (and very cool) circuit.

You may know we've featured FFs in the past several year, again accepting any and all FFs. We had grids of 40+ cars. We're not expecting that for the BOSS run group. but 20-25 would very cool, huh? Entry fees are reasonable.

The race weekend is Aug. 1-2 and Friday is available to open track day to get to know the track.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to give me a call 303-981-6364 or email, r.alder@earthlink.net

More info is located at our MSR registration page for the event. By the way, the event WILL BE HELD! Spectator participation is still subject to COVID rules in place at the time of the race weekend. But we know we'll have a race that weekend with appropriate COVID measures taken.. RMVR had their first post-COVID race last weekend, so we've figure out protocols in effect now. Buy Aug.1st they will probably be a bit more relaxed, but we know the RAKC will take place.

No worries.....racing has not been a reality for me until last weekend in Pittsburgh. Last race before that was VIR Runoffs in October. Let me know next time you are in Laguna.....I live nearby. All the best for the season.

PS. Still collecting names for the Registry.....not much progress on the motor beyond what I have already shared....frustrating by we will persevere.

Quote Originally Posted by Biondoveloce View Post
    Hi Bob. I don't know why I didn't see your response... I live in Southern Cali. Except for running at Indy in 2016, we really only have time to play out on the West Coast. SVRA at Fontana. Occasionally Willow. Hoping to get up to Laguna in December. Hope all is well. Any further progress with the registry?

Liked: 101

Default Toyota engine upgrade

Sorry could't wait any longer sold my rt41 and moved on
    best of luck moving forward on your engine up grades.
    dee

Liked: 10

Default Bda

For people with DB-4s (and other Atlantics) who still have BDAs, I would not switch out. No one has done real work on this engine for awhile; however the engine is an excellent base to work from. Some years ago, Bill Gillespie had an extreme super-short stroke BDA built, but I don't think this is required at all for a very competitive engine.

I would start with a standard new Ford Lotus iron block. It is rock solid at 84mm bore. 84x72 mm is 1596cc. That shorter stroke lowers stresses considerably, and allows a full-skirt, three ring piston with a perfect rod ratio. At 10,500 rpm, its mean piston speed is 25 m/sec, far lower than the 4AGE's. The 84 mm bore also easily allows a 1.375" intake valve, and a 1.16" exhaust valve without bore shrouding...much larger than the 4AGE's. BDA's also have room for larger, much more robust valve springs, and have the advantage of superior line-of sight porting, i.e., the port does not turn nearly so much at the valve. Also the lower valve-angle combustion chamber is much more compact, which gives a better compression ratio without a large piston pop-up.

In sum: lower engine stress, better breathing, higher C/R, stronger valvetrain and lower end...and new iron blocks from Ford Performance are inexpensive...new heads are available from several sources (including me). Engineered correctly, with a D19 or similar cam, and intelligent porting, you should easily meet the output of the very best Toyota engines, at far lower stresses with much superior drive-ability....and a significantly longer time between rebuilds.

The new head for the 4AGE will be very good, but those who have legacy BD-powered cars can still be fully competitive and enjoy a very reliable engine.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Hasselgren announcement

Saw the short version in the September issue of SportsCar that arrived today with a slightly longer version here:

https://hasselgren.com/new-toyota-4age-head/
    Tony Opheim
    '02 Swift 014.a (1600cc Toyota, 1732cc Toyota, and 2.0L MZR Mazda )

Default Atlantic

Bob,
    I currently have 14A chassis #20

David W Bleke
    2441 S 25 W
    Franklin, IN 46131
    317-417-7165

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Corliss View Post
    All Formula Atlantic Owners,

I am interested in putting together a mailing list of owners that includes all relatively recent FA Cars. Specifically, Swift 8, 14, 16, Ralt RT41, and Star Mazda cars.
    We have been working diligently to "resuscitate" these incredible cars and get them all back on track.
    Of particular interest is the development of Race Heads and Blocks for the 1600 Toyota TRD and the 2300 Mazda Cosworth motors, since they are the correct motors and specifically designed for the Swift and Ralt cars. Thankfully, the Star Mazda motors are more durable, but still interested in further development.
    There are more than 100 Swift 14's and Swift 16's around and yet very few are active. Furthermore, they are still among the most sophisticated and competitive cars, especially when compared to newer models.
    Building better dedicated motors will improve durability and no longer require OEM rebuilds . This will also eliminate unproven, costly and ineffective modifications which have only served to confuse and further fragment the marketplace.
    There is a cost effective and timely solution that can only be accomplished if we work together.
    Thanks for reading this and I hope you can see the benefit in making this happen in time for 2019 season.

Bob Corliss
    Swift 14a, Chassis 21
    Car #17

Liked: 309

It saddens me to report that our Ralt RT41 #29 no longer exists. It was consumed in the fire which destroyed our home and shop near Vacaville, CA last month.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 138

I would like to thumbs down that post

Sorry for your loss

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Sad news
    Last edited by Terry Hanushek; 09.26.20 at 11:07 AM.

Liked: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    It saddens me to report that our Ralt RT41 #29 no longer exists. It was consumed in the fire which destroyed our home and shop near Vacaville, CA last month.
    Stan,
    I have no words for my sorrow at your loss... the provenance of your RT41 is a part of that... I am grateful that you and yours are unharmed.
    Kind regards,
    Bill

19. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 384

2007 Lola B07/20 Honda K24R7

#024 number.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Sorry to hear the news Stan. We have dealing with the fires in Monterey also but escaped any damage.
    Bob Corliss

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

Really hate to hear that Stan. Assume all the shop equipment is gone too?

How about starting a GoFundMe account so we can all help?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1108

^^^ This.

I’m a poor boy but wouldn’t miss $100. I could and later may well wax philosophical on why to accept help, Stan, all I’ll say now is the benefits transcend mere dollars. It’s much more about realizing some light at the end of the tunnel.

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Opheim View Post
    Saw the short version in the September issue of SportsCar that arrived today with a slightly longer version here:

https://hasselgren.com/new-toyota-4age-head/
    Hi Tony, saw the article as well. Still no head but work in progress. Hope you are well. Thinking of bringing a bunch of FA to Laguna week 1 December for an SVRA EVENT. Can you make it?

Bob

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Really hate to hear that Stan. Assume all the shop equipment is gone too?

How about starting a GoFundMe account so we can all help?
    Thank you for the kind offer of support, Charlie. The Ralt, Zink, and my first road racing car, the Datsun 510, along with their spares and the Lotus 23 and Maserati Tipo 61 molds were all lost to the fire. The business had long ago outgrown our little shop at home, so the Stohr tooling & hard parts inventory, and our 3- and 4-axis machining centers, prepreg freezer and curing ovens were at our industrial space in the commercial park in town, and were untouched by the fire.

Having come close to being burned out in 2013 and 2015 before getting whacked this year, we have decided to move to a safer neighborhood. Our home was in a scenic and bucolic setting, but is inherently vulnerable to wildfire. We're also looking to move the business to a larger facility when our lease expires early next year.

In the meantime we're running all ahead full steam at work. Of course, we'll let folks know as our plans mature.

Thanks again!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

29. The following 3 users liked this post:

Default Bda

We (Sycast) have decided to tool up a 3-bolt BDA head, one that will be both vintage and SCCA legal...if there is interest. The 84 mm FA head will have all of the features described in the earlier post, along with an improved combustion chamber with a projected plug. It will also have a matched manifold that can accept carbs, standard throttle bodies like Jenvey, or the slide throttles that we will also manufacture. Our understanding is that vintage FA BDDs are restricted to the 81mm homologation bore, so that version will have smaller valves. Porting will be considerably improved over the original head. The current DA 19 cam will work well with this head, and we have other, non-standard, profiles in development.

Material will be chill-cast A357 T6. 50 KSI ultimate; 40KSI yield; 5% min elongation. The water jacket will have a one-piece printed core for best cooling and reliability, and the head will be reinforced internally for better gasket clamping.

We can be contacted at engineering@sycastinc.com for more information.

Liked: 3

We've had Swift 016.a Chassis #42 since 2010...
    We just moved everything out of CA to our new shop in New Mexico (right on Route 66 ).
    This year we are starting a complete restore of the car to original ChampCar Atlantic spec...

great to hear, and hope to see you on the track this year.
    PS drove thru tucumcari several weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian64 View Post
    We've had Swift 016.a Chassis #42 since 2010...
    We just moved everything out of CA to our new shop in New Mexico (right on Route 66 ).
    This year we are starting a complete restore of the car to original ChampCar Atlantic spec...

Default Formula Atlantic Registry Swift/Toyota Motor Update

All, now that the season in getting underway I wanted to update you re progress on above and recent performance of the original Toyota powerplant.

The new head design is basically complete and next steps are testing and of course final production. I hope many, if not all of you are still interested in seeing this project through.

In the meantime I thought it would be helpful to let you know how the current design is performing.

My car, #17 Swift 14a with the original Toyota 1600cc motor performed well all last season. We decided to send it to Hasselgren for a refresh after 1544 miles! That was a very good result and remember we are running that motor at 10800 RPM.

At the start of this season another Swift 14, Toyota powered motor, ran for 1500 miles, winning Race 1&2 at Homestead!

The following week while leading late in Race 1 at Sebring the motor failed. It was replaced with a Toyota parity motor, producing less HP/Torque and running at lower RPM. It won Race 2, outperforming all other cars in the Run Group which included the FA variants, Pro Mazdas and the P1 cars.

At COTA a couple of weeks ago the same Swift 14 with Toyota powered parity motor nearly won, coming in just behind a Swift 16. That weekend the car was driven by a different driver, and someone with less experience in Formula cars. Stay tuned to see how he performs in upcoming races in SCCA and FRP!

Why am I telling you all of this? We have all been searching for the perfect solution and before making any decisions all of us need as much factual information as possible.

My hope is that the above performance continues with the original motor and that the new head will be available soon so that we can be assured that the Swift 14 will be around, and relevant, for many years to come..

Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a great race season!

Bob Corliss
    Swift 14a
    Chassis 21

34. The following members LIKED this post:

A question for any resident Swift experts... I recently read an article saying that 53 total 008a were produced. However I own chassis #54. Were the tubs numbered in order?

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-Gear View Post
    A question for any resident Swift experts... I recently read an article saying that 53 total 008a were produced. However I own chassis #54. Were the tubs numbered in order?
    I do know 3 additional tubs were made by Swift. If memory serves me correctly Mark Ishikawa bought all three when he had an 008. I believe they then went to a guy in Arizona whose name escapes me. They were then sold on.One went to the east coast to retub a car. That was Tub # 55, that car is here in Northern California. Now we know where # 54 is! Still one MIA.
    Graham
    Graham

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Rankin View Post
    I do know 3 additional tubs were made by Swift. If memory serves me correctly Mark Ishikawa bought all three when he had an 008. I believe they then went to a guy in Arizona whose name escapes me. They were then sold on. One went to the east coast to retub a car. That was Tub # 55, that car is here in Northern California. Now we know where # 54 is! Still one MIA.
    Graham
    Hey Graham,

#55 is the tub on my 008, car purchased from Ed Vargo circa 2014, previously owned by Paul Marciano in AZ.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Joules5 View Post
    Hey Graham,

#55 is the tub on my 008, car purchased from Ed Vargo circa 2014, previously owned by Paul Marciano in AZ.

Julian
    Paul Marciano was the name I couldn't remember ! Hope all is well with you all. Any plans? Was going to check out the Thunderhill majors this weekend.Not running ourselves, engine out being refreshed. Going to try the Sonoma SVRA weekend in April
    Graham

Paul Marciano was the name I couldn't remember ! Hope all is well with you all. Any plans? Was going to check out the Thunderhill majors this weekend.Not running ourselves, engine out being refreshed. Going to try the Sonoma SVRA weekend in April
    I wasn't t going to name drop that you owned it, left it vague.???? Its been to long we need to gat back to the track!
    Graham

I wasn't t going to name drop that you owned it, left it vague.???? Its been to long we need to gat back to the track!
    Damn, fat fingered today !
    Graham

Awesome Graham, Thank You for the info. I believe you may be referring to John Brooks in AZ?

This #54 is actually a complete rolling chassis with engine spacer that's still brand new, save a couple of small pieces. I've had it a while now. I sort of wish it was used, I think I'd feel guilty driving it... but I'm also not quite in to the Museum tax bracket yet.

Thanks again -

I do know 3 additional tubs were made by Swift. If memory serves me correctly Mark Ishikawa bought all three when he had an 008. I believe they then went to a guy in Arizona whose name escapes me. They were then sold on.One went to the east coast to retub a car. That was Tub # 55, that car is here in Northern California. Now we know where # 54 is! Still one MIA.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-Gear View Post
    Awesome Graham, Thank You for the info. I believe you may be referring to John Brooks in AZ?

This #54 is actually a complete rolling chassis with engine spacer that's still brand new, save a couple of small pieces. I've had it a while now. I sort of wish it was used, I think I'd feel guilty driving it... but I'm also not quite in to the Museum tax bracket yet.

Thanks again -
    I remember now, Paul Marciano, was the guy in AZ. It deserves to raced, don't make it a garage queen.! I have chassis 015 which was upgraded to an 014. Its raced every year since day 1, still an awesome car,What do I have to do to motivate you?! Theres not enough of these running, especially on the west coast. If you want to talk atlantics, call me any time 925 337 5253 or grahamandcheryl@comcast.net . Would love to see pictures.
    Graham

Graham, starting to see quite a bit of interest in FA/Swift. And agree that we need to get all of the cars on the sidelines back on the track.....had first race this weekend at Road Atlanta.....nearly 400 cars! FRP starts next month at Mid Ohio.

I remember now, Paul Marciano, was the guy in AZ. It deserves to raced, don't make it a garage queen.! I have chassis 015 which was upgraded to an 014. Its raced every year since day 1, still an awesome car,What do I have to do to motivate you?! Theres not enough of these running, especially on the west coast. If you want to talk atlantics, call me any time 925 337 5253 or grahamandcheryl@comcast.net . Would love to see pictures.

Default Ralt RT 5

Bob,

Ralt RT 5 Chassis #5- 460

Toyota 4A GE powered

Keith Wilson
    Kingsburg, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Keith02 View Post
    Bob,

Toyota 4A GE powered

Keith Wilson
    Kingsburg, Ca
    Thanks Keith.....hope to meet at the track one of these days....assume you stay on the west coast to race?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 75

Default Formula Atlantic Registry

How does one access this registry? Has it been created?

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Keith02 View Post
    Bob,

Toyota 4A GE powered

Keith Wilson
    Kingsburg, Ca
    That sounds interesting (and fast)! A conversion from VW power? Can we see pictures, please?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Ralt CSR

Researching how to up load pics..

The car was listed and sold by Can Am Cars Ltd years ago. This site has pics and history of the car.

http://www.canamcarsltd.com/car/1984...C-Sports-Racer

The car is being converted back to open wheel .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information