Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Post AMB transponder questions

Back in 2004, , WHRRI required we buy AMB transponders. We were given a choice of hard wire or battery. I chose battery as I was planning on selling the car. Fast forward 14 years and Yesterday I discovered it sitting in the box with the charger. I plugged it in and after 10 hours, I get 3 green flashes, pause, then 3 green flashes repeating . There is no on/off button that I can see. Is this appropriate? So does it wear down and then needs to be recharged. Shouldn't there be an on /off switch? I have misplaced any paperwork that came with it. any help appreciated.

FV13

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 904

The number of green flashes indicates the number of days of charge remaining, three in this case.

See: https://www.stableenergies.com/specs...attery_ins.pdf
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Liked: 341

I don't know which model you have nor do I have a battery powered transponder myself. That said, I did find the following:

http://www.elaps-timing.com/transpon...e_tranx260.pdf

Based on that document, it would appear that the three quick flashes indicates fully charged if it is a X260 type 2 modely. The document further states to charge every three months. Would appear from that, there is no on/off switch. Just keep it charged.

Hope that helps.

Eric Little

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

With the battery model, you should fully charge it right before heading out for the weekend and if the battery is still good it will last the whole weekend. Don't just charge it the weekend before and expect it to be ok. Watch the green flashes, when you start seeing less than 3 fully charged,or it starts dying during the weekend, it has to be sent off to have the battery replaced. Congrats on the find, if you've looked at prices here, you have one of the few racing parts that has actually appreciated! Expect a flood of pms asking if you wish to sell!

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 323

putting it back in the charging cradle puts the unit to 'sleep'. It will still discharge over time, but much longer time.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 303

If the battery is good after 14 years of sitting I'll be amazed.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 18

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    If the battery is good after 14 years of sitting I'll be amazed.
    On a personal note, I recharged it two days ago and it is still 3x flashing. It is in the cradle unplugged still flashing

Thread Information