Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Default Tow Vehicle comments for FV

I have had several tow vehicles for my vee over the years

I went through two Ford Aerostars, which were still my favorites.

Then an old Dodge Dakota, and currently a Ford Escape (2003)

The trailer is a 3500 enclosed 6 x 12 V nose.

The Escape has been good but it is now up in age, so I wend looking for a truck and low and behold, you cannot touch a decent used truck for under 20K

I have had enough rust buckets (the 2003 Escape now reaching that point) so the pickings up in the NE are not that good.

So I am back to looking at SUVs, but do not want a transverse engine.

So the possible candidates are:

Jeep Liberty and Grand Cherokee
    Ford Explorer
    Volvo XC90

I like to lock my stuff so the SUV works fine. Living in New England makes 4wd almost a necessity. Price range 8 - 12K

A Chevy Colorado would be nice but since the Dakota and Ranger were dropped - even used ones demand more than I want to spend.

It needs to fit in my standard garage and not cost 2 x what my entire race package is worth!

Any comments of reliability of above mentioned SUV's?

Anything out of the ordinary I missed?

Thanks

ChrisZ

Liked: 304

Suburban.

Good used ones can be purchased from as little as $5k to 12K. I bought a 2004 2 years ago for 5K with 210K miles. Now has 270K with only a single oxygen sensor replaced. My daughter just bought a 2006 with 130K miles for $11K.

With any luck you should get 250-300K on these machines with minimal investment. And they have a lot more room than what is on your list. 15mpg in town, about 17 on the highway. Pulling an open trailer seems to stay at 15, maybe 14mpg for me.

Liked: 121

Nissan xterra

Liked: 948

One of my friends tows his VanDieman FC with his Volvo XC90. No issues, over 250K with regular maintenance.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
    Nissan xterra
    I missed on a Pathfinder last year that would have fit the bill -forgot to put that on the list.

Thanks

Liked: 58

This truck might be a little too purposeful for you, but it looks pretty great:
    https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...440844988.html

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

an EcoBoost Ford Explorer Sport is a monster for its size, as it's basically the F150 engine. you can find some of those reasonable.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 23

I get 35 mpg while towing with my VW Sportwagen TDI. But, I tow an open trailer, and no 4wd. Total trailer weight is 1800 lbs, with 180 lb tongue weight. I toss tools and tires in the back of the wagon. 8 hour tow seems like it isn't even back there. US specs say no towing, but euro spec says 3500 lb tow is ok. I bought my factory hitch and wiring harness from the UK. I don't think I would tow an enclosed trailer, but I've heard people tow campers and do fine.
    It's probably not what you are looking for. It fits my requirement for being a cheap way to race though. You can get a real good deal on a 2015 VW TDI now that the "fix" has been approved.

So, saying all that, maybe a Touareg would do the job for you. Again, good deals on TDI versions. They can tow 7K lbs and get 29 mpg. It's overkill for my application, but would probably do well for an enclosed trailer setup.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rT0r91Rl.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	76417  

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpthumper View Post
    This truck might be a little too purposeful for you, but it looks pretty great:
    https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...440844988.html

That is a nice truck, the mileage gives it worth, but it is still a 14 year old truck for 12 grand.

That is the type of truck my son would like.

Thanks

Chris

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    I get 35 mpg while towing with my VW Sportwagen TDI. But, I tow an open trailer, and no 4wd. Total trailer weight is 1800 lbs, with 180 lb tongue weight. I toss tools and tires in the back of the wagon. 8 hour tow seems like it isn't even back there. US specs say no towing, but euro spec says 3500 lb tow is ok. I bought my factory hitch and wiring harness from the UK. I don't think I would tow an enclosed trailer, but I've heard people tow campers and do fine.
    It's probably not what you are looking for. It fits my requirement for being a cheap way to race though. You can get a real good deal on a 2015 VW TDI now that the "fix" has been approved.

So, saying all that, maybe a Touareg would do the job for you. Again, good deals on TDI versions. They can tow 7K lbs and get 29 mpg. It's overkill for my application, but would probably do well for an enclosed trailer setup.
    European cars like VW and Volvo (Mercedes and BMW - but probably out of my price and cost of repair range) are rated much higher than american cars - even the Volvo V70XC is rated for 3500 or more.

I will have to check out the VW - I am sure there are a lot of diesels sitting around waiting for fixes - probably in a parking lot in Detroit....

Chris

Contributing Member

This is a great way to get someone's attention:

https://hartford.craigslist.org/ctd/...459764414.html

(he meant $7800)

Liked: 58

Chris,
    Check out the facebook marketplace too. I've been finding a lot of things on there lately...less crap.

Liked: 23

Since 1990 I've towed first with a Bronco II then an Explorer and then another Explorer. May be prejudiced but think the Ford's are great. Not much ever goes wrong with them and when the water pump, radiator or fuel pump does go (about the only things that I have ever replaced in about 700,000 miles total in the 3 fords I had) you can get the parts reasonably inexpensively. So I say go with the Ford.

That being said we recently wanted a new vehicle and my wife wanted something more "upscale" so we got an Infiniti FX35. Great vehicle with plenty of power but have not towed with it yet. Will see how that does soon, Ordered a hitch and harness the other day...

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information