Liked: 0

Default Citation Steering

Have a 1990 Citation with the funky steering setup. Have the beam etc. but not the funky little arms that pivot off the lower beam. Anyone???

Thanks!

Liked: 174

Contact Steve Pastore at VSR and he can either make or sell you the smaller tie-rods. Do you have
    the Bell-cranks that are part of the beam and the tie-rods attach to them?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Contact Steve Pastore at VSR and he can either make or sell you the smaller tie-rods. Do you have
    the Bell-cranks that are part of the beam and the tie-rods attach to them?

Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks! Yes, I just found Steve's info in my pile and sent him a note. I have a replacement beam with the old steering box and Pittman but that's it. I guess I'll need to weld on the bell cranks from what I recall.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Steve is super and you will need him for a lot of things, but you have the new owner of Citation cars in your backyard:

(603) 897-5140

https://revolutionformulacars.com/

107 Christie Rd, New Boston, NH 03070

KEVIN O'HEARN

PS - Who was the previous owner of your car?

ChrisZ

Liked: 174

Boothy,

You don't weld on the bellcranks but rather the mounts for the bellcranks as the bellcranks are removeable, but the blocks for the bellcranks aren't without much work. You'll also want the bellcranks that are solid and not the cast bellcranks which should only be used in an emergency for short stints. As mentioned, Steve is a wealth of information and can make almost anything you need that can't be purchased from the person who bought Citation cars etc.... Good luck!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Boothy,

You don't weld on the bellcranks but rather the mounts for the bellcranks as the bellcranks are removeable, but the blocks for the bellcranks aren't without much work. You'll also want the bellcranks that are solid and not the cast bellcranks which should only be used in an emergency for short stints. As mentioned, Steve is a wealth of information and can make almost anything you need that can't be purchased from the person who bought Citation cars etc.... Good luck!

Mark
    Thank you! That's what I'm thinking was the block for the bell cranks. Good info. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Steve is super and you will need him for a lot of things, but you have the new owner of Citation cars in your backyard:

(603) 897-5140

KEVIN O'HEARN

ChrisZ
    Thanks! I was wondering about all this for a while. Chris Barry had this before me. Terrific guy.

Liked: 1403

I have done a lot of those "funky" steering setups.

My advise is that you find some one who really knows what they are doing when you add the mounting blocks to an axle beam. It is very easy to ruin the inner bearing. That bearing is under the mounting block where you have to do the welding. For that reason, you have to be extremely carful as the block is welded to the beam.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 88

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post

(603) 897-5140

KEVIN O'HEARN

ChrisZ
    Kevin should have all the parts you need, probably on the shelf, and the ability to do the welding of the blocks to the beam.

Larry Campbell
    Campbell Motorsport

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 304

Good time to check and replace the inner beam bushings. I did it after welding the mounting blocks to the beam.

Liked: 8

...and clean the grease out of the tubes... sends out quite a smoke signal when being welded if not!

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by wroche29 View Post
    ...and clean the grease out of the tubes... sends out quite a smoke signal when being welded if not!
    I hot tanked mine.

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by wroche29 View Post
    ...sends out quite a smoke signal when being welded....
    ...unless of course, you like that sort of thing...

Glenn
    "I LOVE the smell of gear-lube in the morning..."

Quote Originally Posted by Boothy View Post
    Thanks! I was wondering about all this for a while. Chris Barry had this before me. Terrific guy.
    Thanks!!!

I am taking my beam up to Kevin over the next few weeks. I figured it's just a pivot point so how bad can it be but I've learned to take the advice of those who know...

Here is a drawing I made a few years ago for the steering arm base. It is just the simple part. It gets welded directly across the front to the beam. On the back side you need to add a strip of sheet material, 18g or so and weld the strip to the beam and the mount on the backside to make up the gap that occurs from the tube curvature.

I made several of these in my home shop with a crappy drill press and couldn't get them perfect enough except by luck it seemed. I finally had a shop I use for business stuff make a pair for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Liked: 13

Default idler arms

I just had 10 idler arms made if anyone else was in need of a set. I keep all of the parts that you may want for your spare kits like steering arms trailing arms and most of the body parts in stock

Thread Information