Liked: 34

Default Info on a Crossle FF from 1986/7?

I am searching for more history/owners on this Crossle. San Francisco region log book photos circa 1986. I have a new log book dated February 1987, but not the previous one. Sold on by TR Race services in December 1988. But no sellers name, just new owner who was Frank Kukula.
    I am advised he may have passed away? He owned the car until 1999.
    Any help much appreciated.

thanks chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CROSSLE-_4434.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	74571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CROSLE-IMG_4435.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	74572  

Liked: 37

Default As to the pictures

The two pictures most likely came from the late 70's. Frank Briggs was a local racer out of San Jose, CA and worked at the United Airlines maintenance service located at the SF Airport. He was a great sheet metal worker, could re-skin a 747 keel and once made a really strong replacement tub for Tom Gloy's Lola T360 FA.

I'm not sure if he was the original purchaser of the car but raced it in '77 through maybe the early 80's. He and Bob Longenburg were the competition I had to beat to win the big support race for the '77 IMSA weekend at Sears Point. He has the distinction of having won the Western Ford Dealers pro FF series trip to the Formula Ford Festival by winning the last race at Laguna Seca when the two points leaders, Bob Logenburg and Steve Knapp took each other out while contesting the win.

I don't know how long he raced it as I moved on from FF but ran into him in at a race at Sears Point in the mid 80's. At that time he was putting a motorcycle motor in a Crossle to run in FC. It may or may not have been the same chassis.

He retired and moved to somewhere around San Bruno in the SF Bay area. I have no idea who bought the car but it would have ended up in the SF Region Spec Ford class. Maybe someone knows. I am assuming TR Race Services was the old Tom Rust Racing business and Tom is still around now and again.

Best I can do, hope that fills in a bit of the knowledge hole for you.

Thanks for that info. Now explains who TR race services were. Now the hunt for Mr Briggs.thanks Chris

Liked: 948

Quote Originally Posted by sevenselans View Post
    Thanks for that info. Now explains who TR race services were. Now the hunt for Mr Briggs.thanks Chris
    If you have the Crossle chassis number from the chassis plate, you might contact Neil Porter at Pacific Crossle/Porter Racing.

http://porterracing.com/

neil 'a't porterracing dot com

(209) 722-7373

Gary Horstkorta at the SF Region of SCCA is the club historian. http://www.sfrscca.org/archives

Gary may have race results and photos from the Wheel from the time period.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thanks. Have already spoken with Neal Porter. He had a couple of new phone numbers, unfortunately no longer valid. The search continues.

Liked: 15

If it's any help I have The Wheel complete from 1975 thru 89 and have been transcribing FF results into a database which eventually might get published on the website oldracingcars.com
    If you could help me with chassis plate number and log book number (which should date when the car arrived in SFR) then am more than happy to share with you all the results for all owners across the car's history.

Chris Townsend

Liked: 37

Chris

How did you get a hold of all those copies of the wheel. I hope you can get it all able to be seen on the web. I wish I had kept copies of them back then for my scrap book. It's like old race cars, back then they were just that, an old car not much wanted. Now it all about memories and "vintage" prices.

I just bought a 70 Titan MK6 to "relive the fun and glory of the past" and paid about 6 times what I paid for the one I raced briefly in '75. And that very car actually came up for sale shortly after I bought one. Ah, if only I had saved all my old cars, race and street, I'd be a very wealthy man today.

Bob McCormack

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_T360 View Post
    If it's any help I have The Wheel complete from 1975 thru 89 and have been transcribing FF results into a database which eventually might get published on the website oldracingcars.com
    If you could help me with chassis plate number and log book number (which should date when the car arrived in SFR) then am more than happy to share with you all the results for all owners across the car's history.

Chris Townsend
    Did you recieve my pm?

chris

Liked: 15

Did you recieve my pm?

chris
    Hi Chris

Yes. The Cal Club stamp number on the car is from early 1977, probably March, at the Riverside Regional.
    If I can re-establish contact with the Cal Club archivist we can certainly find out who the first owner was.

All best
    Chris

Thread Information