Liked: 49

Default ID this part? Front caliper shield

Hey guys. I found a leak in my front right caliper, think I found the source, but planning to change it for safe measure. The current (leaky) calipers are Dynalites and will be going for the newer Dynapro's. I noticed there's an aluminum shield on the leading edge of the caliper. Can someone tell me what this is for? I'm guessing to prevent rocks picked up by the wheel to enter the pad area?

I'm debating whether to carry this piece over to the new caliper. My biggest rub is that I dont want to undo the bolt which mates the two caliper halves together in fear of springing a leak.

Arax

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2227.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	74087  
    Last edited by 99sh; 10.01.17 at 11:24 AM.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

I'm wondering if that shield is a tire kleg picker upper / cow-catcher, designed to mount within a couple a .045 to the inner wheel surface to prevent build up of tire kleg.
    It looks like if that is the case, it would be directing it down into the throat of the caliper - probably not such a flashy idea!
    It ain't a standard piece...
    I'd toss 'em in the bin.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by 99sh View Post
    I'm debating whether to carry this piece over to the new caliper. My biggest rub is that I dont want to undo the bolt which mates the two caliper halves together in fear of springing a leak.
    If you decide to use it, just put a big clamp on the caliper to hold it together when you R & R the bolt...

Liked: 49

I ended up ditching it. The new caliper didn't have a thru hole bolt to allow installation of this piece - which made the decision easy!

Thread Information