Liked: 0

Default Can you identify this FV?

I've been looking for a vintage FV to rebuild and this one came across my radar recently. I don't recognize the bodywork and was hoping someone on here could tell me what manufacturer this car is from. Also wondering about the price since it's pretty rough looking.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/6100631681.html

Liked: 144

It "kinda" looks like an Asp...but, then again, it doesn't. There's always the possibility that the body has been modified at some point. Those are some seriously big ducts cooling that thing! It doesn't appear to have the fan or housing in place, so that is why I think at least the rear was modified. I'm not up on my vintage rules, but I would think it would need those parts back in place to be eligible.

Personally, $3K seems like a lot for a car that would need some serious work done to it, even if the engine "spins freely", as advertised. It looks like it must have been overheating looking at all that "stuff" going on in the engine compartment. It might make a good project car, but you could easily spend triple that asking price if you really wanted to go vintage racing, instead of just have something to play around in.

It's very easy to be critical about these types of cars. If you're up for a lot of work, lowball him and dig in!

Liked: 296

$3k is way too much. It looks likes it's mostly there for vintage V, but as Agitator says it will need converted back to a fan and alternator. It has the Z-bar, which is vintage, but is missing front dampers. The amount of cleaning and parts that can't be repaired is just the start. Judging by the rust, there's a good chance the engine is shot. The transmission should be gone through, and the frame should have a frame up revamp. I'd pay like $1200 max for it.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

I'm reasonably sure it's a Kellison. The yellow part of the body looks like a modified Kellison. The vent on top looks like the width of the channel that Kellisons have and it has the steering box hump. You can see the seam where they glassed the sides to the top of the body. The trailing arms look similar, the square tubing you can see from the left front is consistent, as are the brackets for a bar that connected the roll hoop to transmission/z-bar mount.
    Last edited by Bob VanDyke; 05.05.17 at 8:56 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Many prospective buyer/driver/owners show much enthusiasm in trying to get started racing by buying an obsolete piece of crap and never succeed, partially because the "good deal" they have acquired, and then eventually realize they're putting good money after bad. Why not join a club , make some friends who race in a class of cars you're interested in and learn as much as you can about that class and what [it] takes to build and race a relatively inexpensive car. Most prospective racers usually fail in their attempt to rebuild a total "unknown"and we never get to see them in the future. Good luck. Treat yourself to something much more worth while.
    Last edited by Albatross; 05.07.17 at 12:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Liked: 301

The Kellisons I'm familiar with have more upper & lower frame at the rear and the z-bar mounted BELOW the trans.
    The only thing that looks "Kellison", to me, is the steering gear mounted in the stock VW location.
    Could be someone's homebuilt hybrid (?)
    Glenn

Liked: 0

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, my inquiry was more along the lines of, "what is this?" than, "should I buy it?"

I'm really looking more for a vintage FF or similar to rebuild and maybe occasionally track, I'm more interested in the restoration and rebuild process which may seem blasphemous on this site I know.

That said, if anyone in eastern Mass wants to show me how it's done i'd love to get involved with a local group/club.

Liked: 67

You should come to a SCCA event and see modern Formula Vee's race. EVERYONE in the New England region who races vee would be happy to answer all of your questions and even let you sit in their cars.

Our next event is at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on the 27th and 28th of May. My name is Mike and drive a Yellow vee number 22. Come by and say hello and I'm sure you'll leave with more information then you came with.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

"I'm really looking more for a vintage FF or similar to rebuild and maybe occasionally track, I'm more interested in the restoration and rebuild process which may seem blasphemous on this site I know."

Come to Virginia, I have countless restoration / rebuild project here for you to work on

My first FF was two completely dissembled Lola 204s that were donated by drivers I crewed for. Took 2 years of work to get one restored and running, the other became parts. When I sold them the new buyer wanted to put the 2nd car back together, I never heard from him, I think he lived in Kentucky.

With one stupid exception I never bought a project car again, Good race cars sell so cheap these days you can't bring a basket case back for 1/2 the money of a nice one. There are some exceptions where barn find cars are priceless and worth the effort and expense - this look not to be one of them.

Thread Information