Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default Historical evolution of SCCAs sports racing classes

Hello sports racers !
    I am researching the evolution of SCCAs sports racing classes from the mid 1950's Modified classes, through the mid 1960's A through H Sports Racing classes.
    How and when these purpose built racing car classes morphed into todays P1 and P2.
    What was the displacement limits of, for instance, 1967s E-F-G-H Sports Racing classes ?I know the open wheel equivalent, mainly because I lived it, but as much time as was shared in paddocks with my full fendered brethren I have now become curious as to your history.
    While I admit to enjoying the research and will be at the Int Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen in September I am hoping to get some good info through this forum.
    Surely there are sports racing historians out there, most likely with this information in their heads, and personal experience.
    Any insight gratefully accepted !
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike Rand

Liked: 352

From the SCCA Vintage GCR:

Categories above shall conform to the International F.I.A. Displacement Classes, as modified below:
    Class Total Piston Displacement in CC’s
    A Over 5,500 cc (must run Unrestricted)
    B 5,000 – 5,500
    C 3,000 – 5,000
    D 2,000 – 3,000
    E 1,500 – 2,000
    F 1,100 – 1,500
    G 750 – 1,100
    H 500 – 750
    I 350 – 500
    J Under 350
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

A good source is Tom Clayton's sportsracernet.smugmug.com. Lots of old information and car descriptions (including the obviously superior homebuilt that I made).
    I first got interested in SCCA sports racers in the 60's when my father's business partner's brother brought his Crosley chassied, Mercury outboard powered, home-made aluminum bodied sports racer to an airport event in Grand Forks, ND (two megaphone exhaust two stroke oil with a great ripping fart of a noise). There are a lot of people like me who have been interested for a long time (we know a lot cause we have seen a lot). Or try Dick Colburn who has been racing SCCA for 50 years!
    MARTY

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Mr. Rand,

Have you access to a copy of:

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Ameri.../dp/0760317836 ?

I would like to hold on to mine, but if you want me to send you any info about a specific model or 3, I will tell you what the book has to say about it.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default per 67 GCR Sports Racing Classes

page 55

SCCA Sports Racing Catagory (Formerly called SCCA Modified Catagory)

2.2 Classification

Classfication of the cars shall be acccording to the engine displacement as follows:

C-- over 3000 cc
    D-- over 2000cc and below or equal to 3000cc
    E-- over 1600cc and below or equal to 2000cc
    F-- over 1150 cc and below or equal to 1600cc
    G-- over 850 cc and below or equal to 1150cc
    H-- below or equal to 850 cc

Supercharged cars shall be classified according to their displacement times a factor of 1.4.

(other points... no min wt. or wheel/tire sizes shown, had min. cockpit dimensions, had to have 2 seat.... 2 doors 12 x 20....min 2 working head lights, one tail and brake min. .....also fenders...)

so, for 67 still had all the old classes from modified days....later was reduced to A,B,C,D, sports racing...think that was in 68 or 69....haven't looked...

Hope this helps.

Bob L.

Liked: 96

Was ther ever an I or J mod in SCCA ?

john f

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Never heard of any.... HMod was all the bottom end stuff for SCCA. +, note CMod was the top end...no A or B Mods.....at least in early/mid 60's...

Think those other "classes" above, came from FIA and "newer" SCCA vintage rules.

Believe, they did run the old F3 cars with 500cc singles in the 50's...and later as FJr. then FC... (we even had a F3 Cooper with an Atwater-Kent, 3cyl/chain drive, in the late 60's...was run as a FC car, earlier.)...... but that was all single seat stuff.

I and J >>>> just too small for U.S. folks and tracks...?

Bob L.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Thanks for all the information.
    Yes, I believe the previous Modified classes became A-B-C-D Sports Racing in 1968, according to the excellent research tool I have, a 2001 SCCA Runoffs Media Guide.
    This document in fact lists I Modified Nat Champs for '58-'60-'61 , all three in Berkeley cars !
    They must have "powered" by 500cc motors......according to Peter Olivolas FIA class displacement list above.
    Some convoluted shape shifting for these classes in the mid-late 1960's.
    ASR ended as a National Class in 1984/5, BSR in 1978/79, CSR and DSR continued and have been rolled into P1 and P2 along with S2000 cars.
    OK, I think I have scratched that itch !

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Berkeley

Mike,
    my dad actually has a 57 Berkeley. It was manufactured by rolls Royce aircraft division. Fiberglass/aluminium monocoque powered by and Excalibur 500cc motorcycle engine. When he first got it it was powered by a 750cc Kawasaki. Had a rope pull start next to steering wheel.

John

Thread Information