Liked: 23

Default Indy car Starter

This might not be the right forum, but I'm trying to find someone who used to work at Delco and had some info on how the starters supplied to the Indy cars in the late eighties and early nineties were built. I have one and I burned up the armature, the rest of the external starter is good. They were probably built in the experimental dept and hoping that I good get some insight into an armature that I could use. Thanks for any help or another forum or website that might help. Thanks

Liked: 27

Default Armature Rebuild

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe that any good motor rewind shop can rebuild your armature. We once had a small potted transformer burn up during sea trials and there were no spares. This was on a critical piece of gear. So we sent it back to shore and had the shop disassembly the thing, count the turns, and rebuild it over night. It was on board by 10 the next morning and the equipment was running before noon. Good luck!

Liked: 29

Try this first......and there more in the "Search" section under 'indy car starter'

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...dy+car+starter

Default Indycar starter

Thanks for the replies, but I do have a Gerhardt starter and am using that. My thought was that someone might have known someone in motorsport at Delco when they were providing starters and batteries to the Indycar teams. I'm sure it's a modification of a passenger car or truck starter. Also, automotive starter armatures aren't rewound because they have flat wire instead of round wire--believe me I tried everywhere.

Liked: 18

private Indy88

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

IN beavercreek Ohio, The Electric Garage. Can fix any starter of alternator / generator if it can be fixed.

If it can't be fixed, he can figure out what it was and get a replacement.

http://usplaces.com/Auto%20Electrica...ctric-garage.1

Thanks Steve, I happened to be near Dayton(Beaver Creek) stopped in and talked to Dan and explained what I wanted to do and I think we'll be able to do something that will get it fixed. I didn't have the pcs with me, but next time I'm down here again I'll bring the pcs with me and hopefully get it repaired. Thanks for the referal, Dan Forbes does know his stuff!

Thread Information