Liked: 0

Default FV, FST, or Vintage FV down in Central Texas?

Howdy from Austin, everyone. I've recently finally managed to make it in life where I can actually be on the track, versus just watch everyone else be out there. I've always loved open wheelers, and running one was always my end goal. I'm currently trying to figure out what are the more popular classed down here in central Texas. The SCCA website doesn't show much for FV/FST action with only a few drivers total. However for the SVRA nationals at CotA this year, there was a big field, so I can't imagine everyone came from out of state.

I'm not looking to be a front runner, even at a regional level. I'd just like to be in a class that has a decent number of cars to have folks to run against no matter where I am in the pack.

So if I was going to pick one class to start in, is there one that has a bigger presence down here in Texas? I know there are a lot of other considerations besides simply how many other people are racing, but I figure it's a good start.

Thanks,

-Gary

Liked: 58

Default Texas

Gary;

look up BIGGER HAMMER RACING ( in Cedar Hills) and give Bill Griffith a call. He can answer all your questions.

He maintains a stable of FV cars and I hear they have lots of cars show up at vintage events.

Dietmar
    Quixote Racing

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 76

Lots of Vintage Vee in your area. Bill Griffith at Bigger Hammer racing is definitely the Go to guy.
    601 Jealouse way #1
    Cedar Hill,Tx 75104

biggerhammer-fv66@sbcglobal.net

972*291-5460
    butch deer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Welcome, Defiantly lots of Vee action as mentioned above, also some FST as your post asked.....check out formula-first.org there are a few fst racers in Tx and I think one or 2 races a year at Halett Motor Circuit in Oklahoma.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll definitely give Bill Griffith a call over at Bigger Hammer.

As far as Vintage Vee goes, who is the regulating/scantioning body for that? I didn't see anything in the SCCA rulebook on it.

-Gary

Liked: 63

Bill is a great guy. I was down there last year and met up with him. He has a great selection of cars. I dont know how big you are but one of the things with vees is fitting in one. He has all types of vees at his shop so you can see how they fit.
    I sold him a 1969 RCA that had never been built earlier this year he may have it for sale.

Good luck

Jeff

Liked: 58

Default Texas

Gary:

look for Corinthian Racing or CVAR.
    Believe that will help.

Dietmar
    Quixote Racing

Liked: 37

Default Vintage Vees in Texas

Gary,

Let me add my 2 cents. You would be hard pressed to find a better group of people to run with than the folks at CVAR, especially the Vees. Actually, it's very much the same attitude wherever there are areas of Vee "concentration". Fields of 25-30 cars are not uncommon with drivers of all abilities, the camaraderie is wonderful and it is very competitive. Hopefully if you attended COTA you had a chance to visit with some of the participants. Most all of the Vees in the race were CVAR.

Bill's group out of Dallas is pretty much the centerpiece of the Vee contingent but there are others scattered throughout the state. If you'd like more info on this visit the CVAR website and/or feel free to give me a call.

Greg Smith
    San Antonio
    210-535-0055

Swift DB-1
    Mission FST
    Lola T342

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 6

Default Cvar

Ditto on what Greg Smith said. Have just completed my 3rd year of racing vintage vees in CVAR. What a blast. We had 28 vees at COTA SVRA race. Common to have 25-30 vintage vees at a CVAR race. Don't think you could find a better group to run with.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Awesome, thanks for the head sup about CVAR. That looks exactly like what I'm looking for!

I'm off all next week, and I'll make some phone calls. Greg I'll shoot you a PM this weekend.

-Gary

Thread Information