Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 runoffs

Liked: 303

Default 2016 runoffs

Just from looking at the practice results over the last few days and one session from today, I see a really good race shaping up. A lot of cars in or near the 1:39 range.

I'm guessing Saturday had some wet practice with one dry session for FV judging by the times.

Add: The weather report looks really good for the rest of the week until Sunday.
    Last edited by BLS; 09.18.16 at 2:45 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

But that one in the mid 38's on Thur could stink it up.

Good weather: does that mean no rain? The temp and humidity look a little high for good comfort.

Brian

Hello Brian

Yes, good weather as in no rain.

The temperature and humidity look just fine to a person from the South

Barry

"But that one in the mid 38's on Thur could stink it up."

Possible. If the whole group behind start fighting over 2nd place the result might be predictable. OTOH, how often does that happen in FV? I'm guessing there are not that many cases of runaway wins with a group like this.

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

I don't know about you guys... but after reading the entry list, my money is on Dale Rader by several laps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	63658  
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

6. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 144

I heard his DB-1 has a bone stock 40hp 1200 in it, though...With the Swift's aerodynamics, it'll easily do 74mph on the front stretch.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    ...If the whole group behind start fighting over 2nd place the result might be predictable...
    This is a virtual certainty with this years lineup!

Brian

Liked: 14

Default Saw a little on livestream this morn

Got to see a little livestream action of the vees before screen went black. Who clobbered the last wall at the beginning. And is Laura Hayes running.

"This is a virtual certainty with this years lineup!"

I believe there are enough people in that group that will remember what happened the last time that occurred. MV won last year, but it was a superb comeback last lap drive. My real concern is mistakes in the early laps taking out some of the potential winners. Stevan last year and MV the year before. I just hope for a clean race, understanding that is probably not going to happen.

Four more days and we'll have our answer. I just hope the SCCA has a handle on the live online coverage...

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clark View Post
    I don't know about you guys... but after reading the entry list, my money is on Dale Rader by several laps.
    Tech might be a bit tough...

Brian Farnham in his first runoffs qualifier driving a Citation cruised into 11th place at 1:40.025

Nice going for a nice young man at his first runoffs event.

I bet Dad (Mark) is happy today

16. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wilson View Post
    Got to see a little livestream action of the vees before screen went black. Who clobbered the last wall at the beginning. And is Laura Hayes running.
    Yes. She is running Mitchell Ferguson's car and is entered as such. But, it is Laura.

Liked: 174

Brian Farnham in his first runoffs qualifier driving a Citation cruised into 11th place at 1:40.025

Nice going for a nice young man at his first runoffs event.

I bet Dad (Mark) is happy today
    Very proud of him! :thumbs:

19. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Stevan Davis has a short report on the FV website. Note, only 5 laps at speed due to a mishap.

http://www.formcarregistry.com/inter...p=33398#p33398

Another update from Stevan Davis:

http://www.formcarregistry.com/inter...p=33400#p33400

Update from Stevan. Please read this one...

http://www.formcarregistry.com/inter...php?f=4&t=5643

Thursday's last Qualifier results are in:

http://www.scca.com/event_sessions/1986040-fv-qual-4

The poll position might not be who you thought...

WOW!!!!
    Saw that
    Ran the first qualifier and missed 2 and 3
    Do you know anything about him

Just realized he is the son of Dave Scaler.
    Looking at Verhagen FF , Norman FA, and Scaler Our countries karting program is bringing
    Out some great young talent. Could it be possible in seeing a F1 champion from the us in the future.

Liked: 18

Top 10 within a second of eachother, tomorrow's going to be interesting!
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

"...tomorrow's going to be interesting!"

I'm looking for a great race. Just hoping it stays "clean" for the first few laps...

Alex Scaler had 3 hot laps in a row, with the last lap being the "big one".

Time cards for Q4:
    http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1474565271

Senior Member Jean-Sebastien Stoezel's Avatar
    Liked: 15

What is impressive is how Scaler got up to speed, and ended up being fastest after missing 2 sessions. The time cards show a remarkable progression in lap times.
    One has to wonder how much extra speed he could develop tomorrow during the race.

Congratulations and best of luck to him.
    ----------------------------
    Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
    Western Canada Motorsport Association (WCMA)
    FV #0

Good luck guys! Watch out for the falling checkered flags
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

Congratulations to Varacins, wins 5th National Championship

2nd Lazier
    3rd Blanarik

http://www.scca.com/event_sessions/1986086-fv-race-3

33. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Quite a race with a lot of action. But in all the years I've been racing, nobody told me I was supposed to run through the marbles afterwards to help with ride height clearance and get through tech.
    Reinventing the world, one wheel at a time.

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 144

Quote Originally Posted by jhenn4716 View Post
    Quite a race with a lot of action. But in all the years I've been racing, nobody told me I was supposed to run through the marbles afterwards to help with ride height clearance and get through tech.

It's so easy to pick apart a broadcast, especially for an amateur event...Unfortunately, you're spot on. Silence would be fine...if they would just shut up and let the action unfold. But, no, they gotta go on and on just to prove that they didn't do any homework whatsoever. Again, I know there are 28 races, and it's an amateur event, but why bother offering commentary at all if you're just gonna butcher names and make up your own set of facts and trivia about the class? Just give us a video feed and Hayward's interviews after the race. I'm good with that. Sometimes, less is more.

Class act in Varacins winning yet another title. The guy obviously misses nothing when it comes to his car and his driving.

37. The following 5 users liked this post:

"...prove that they didn't do any homework whatsoever"

It would seem like SCCA could find one person to provide the "color" commentary for each class that is familiar with the class. I'm sure they could find a volunteer if they tried.

"Class act in Varacins winning yet another title. The guy obviously misses nothing when it comes to his car and his driving. "

Ditto. An impressive FV career. There are a lot of standouts in FV. I don't think they come any better.

I wish Dorsey Schroeder would have stayed on for one more race, I like his commentary and he's pretty well informed in any class of racing.

Congrats to MV on another dominant race! Tough break for Quinn breaking a throttle cable accelerating for the green... Hope Ron Wake is okay, anyone know what happened exactly? Looked like a trailing arm let go and it wasn't necessarily a soft impact.
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by jhenn4716 View Post
    He also noted (before the start) that, to run the VW drivetrain opposite a Beetle config (engine in front of trans), you flip the transmission completely over.
    I think they often work from notes instead of having first-hand knowledge, and often those notes are probably in scribbled shorthand.
    All-in-all the coverage is pretty good.
    I thought they did a good job this year of catching incidents and showing replays...better than last year.
    But I WAS having trouble with the feed freezing during pace laps...had to reload the page 3 times but didn't miss the start or any race laps.
    Looks like one of the cleanest FV Runoffs races in several years.
    Kudos to everyone & Huzzah to Varacins...AGAIN.

Liked: 1403

Did we not see the start of the third generation of Laziers racing with a second place finish and fastest race lap?

42. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Did we not see the start of the third generation of Laziers racing with a second place finish and fastest race lap?
    I was not sure which generation the young man was. So, I take it this is the grandson?

Maybe the biggest story this year is Lazier and Scaler, two young guys up at the front.

I was not sure which generation the young man was. So, I take it this is the grandson?

Maybe the biggest story this year is Lazier and Scaler, two young guys up at the front.
    I would add that FV is the only viable formula car class in SCCA right now. If you combined all the rest, you would have a decent field of cars, that is just slightly larger than the FV filed. The oldest formula class is still the strongest.

45. The following 9 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Lazier

Yep, third generation. Father Buddy and uncle Jacques both started racing careers running Vs in our club. Jacques won a national championship in the mid 90s. Both went on to the Indy car series with Buddy winning the Indy 500 in '95. Their father Bob started in Vs way back and had a long run in our club and ended up in the old FB pro series.

Interesting that Buddy truly believes there is a lot to learn about driving and racing in FV. Flinn is only 17 or 18, has come up through karts and apparently a karting phenom. He ran only the minimum 4 divisional races this year. This is my now former car, the crew picked it up last Wed evening on the way to the Runoffs, still has my seat in it. For the kid to show up in a new car at his first Runoffs, finish second with the fastest race lap and new lap record is pretty amazing, especially when you compare it to the effort and experience of a lot of the others. Of course they got a pretty good car

I think the plan after next year is for Flinn to move up the ladder to another road to Indy type series. Doubt we ever see another Indy 500 winner start his kids racing career in FV.

Congratulations to Mike and Al for another championship, their work and commitment in the class is truly impressive.

47. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 174

I had a chance to speak with Bob Lazier in Tech on Thursday as our cars we're going through the fuel testing etc., and he was very nice and I know very proud of his sons and grandson!

FV is mostly overlooked as a learning ground for higher level formula cars. But there are certain skills that a FV teaches better than any other formula car and that are essential to success faster formula cars. FV are not physically demanding to drive but to really go well they demand very good technique. And there are a lot of drivers who do an excellent job driving FV and make great teachers.

A good FV driver can drive an other formula car equally well if he can handle the increased speed. Good FV skills work very well in faster cars.

50. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    FV is mostly overlooked as a learning ground for higher level formula cars. But there are certain skills that a FV teaches better than any other formula car and that are essential to success faster formula cars. FV are not physically demanding to drive but to really go well they demand very good technique. And there are a lot of drivers who do an excellent job driving FV and make great teachers.

A good FV driver can drive an other formula car equally well if he can handle the increased speed. Good FV skills work very well in faster cars.
    I really wish more people would listen to & understand this post. If only newbies on a budget would listen. Then again, we've seen people come in, not knowing who people like Steve are, and act like they know more (ie, this post http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71562).

Maybe make a detailed post similar to this a pinned post in the "beginner" forum?
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 11

Congratulations to Mike on another stellar drive to his 5th National Championship. I believe that ties him with Bill and Brad for the most (correct me if I'm wrong, please) in FV. That's elite company, and there may be more to come!

I'd much rather have been there spectating in person than to have watched online, but it just wasn't in the cards this year. That said, I thought the "TV" coverage was good even if the commentators had me laughing/crying at times... The on camera coverage of the racing was about as good as can be done given the action spread throughout the field. It was also good to see the officials choose not to go full course yellow again but that was certainly a possibility.

Great drives by many, especially the younger guys. Flinn was just quick and solid throughout, Alex Scaler showed great quickness early and then the tenacity to come back from 23rd to 10th after going off at 11. Andy Whitston made that one mistake but might otherwise have given Mike a battle for the win. Loved those wheels Andy!

Overall an impressive showing for the class. Well done everyone!

53. The following 3 users liked this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information