Liked: 58

Default Rev Limiter for 009 Distributor (rotor style)

Are they legal and has anyone tried one?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

A more important question would be the value of such a device.

Under what situations do you think you are going to see over revving?

Brian

Liked: 247

Guy Bellingham uses a rev limiter, not sure on what brand though. I think he said that he put it on after he blew a motor from spinning the rear wheels coming over a rise.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

The ones that are built into the rotor are supposedly inconsistent, erratic, and unsuitable for race car use ..... if I recall the story correctly,
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 79

I have a new Bosch unit, 04 029 that I never tried if you are interested. Box is old, but never installed. $18 bucks delivered. The old Bosch P/N is 1234332206. Application is listed as Porsche

I have no idea how reliable they are and not sure if that P/N fits your distributor.

Thanks
    Bob

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Quote Originally Posted by B Farnham View Post
    ....blew a motor from spinning the rear wheels coming over a rise.
    Exactly how places in the US can a FV spin the wheels going over a rise? Are these spots not well known and something that a driver cannot be prepared for?

Missed shifts and incorrect down shifts are what cause grief for a FV engine. Neither situation is going to be saved by a rev limiter.

Brian

Liked: 247

If it worked properly you can't argue that it's not a good safe net. A $100 rev limiter is a lot cheaper than a rebuild. On certain tracks that you hold it in 3rd near the rev limit it would be an advantage to keep your foot to the floor.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 121

I've used them in F2000 cars for years with few if any issues. Cost around $30-40 bucks, can get in a variety of different limits, and if it starts to misbehave there is almost zero effort to correct it. Of course there is only one fool proof method to stop over revs.......don't race!

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Guy Bellingham uses a rev limiter, not sure on what brand though. I think he said that he put it on after he blew a motor from spinning the rear wheels coming over a rise.
    Ok thanks. There are a number of instances it would be useful and maybe save your engine. I'll see Guy at the Glen next month so I'll ask him about it.
    Last edited by bobs66440; 08.21.16 at 7:10 AM.

If it worked properly you can't argue that it's not a good safe net. A $100 rev limiter is a lot cheaper than a rebuild. On certain tracks that you hold it in 3rd near the rev limit it would be an advantage to keep your foot to the floor.
    This is sort of why I am inquiring. At Pittsburgh there are a few sections of the track where you are tempted to leave it in 3rd because the length of some of the short straights between turns are just long enough where you have to do a quick upshift to keep from straining the engine. Some guys just let it spin in 3rd. I was doing the upshift, but there may be times in the heat of battle when you may forget, or yes, if you miss a shift at the limit you may trash an engine. It seems like cheap insurance to me. Even if it only works sporadically, it may save you when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    The ones that are built into the rotor are supposedly inconsistent, erratic, and unsuitable for race car use ..... if I recall the story correctly,
    Thanks, I'll look into it more.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

Any reason not to go electronic? I've got 2 of the cheaper MSD units on Kent 1600 engines, and they are fine.

I never used one of the Bosch mechanical units, but years ago I had a Lucas one in my sprite, and saying that it was LUCAS pretty much covers it

Liked: 27

I've used the units they make for 4 cyl drag bikes. small light and fairly cheap. I would have to look up the brand, but it was very reliable.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default cheep MSD copies

Hot Rod Magazine did an article on bootleg parts made overseas a while back, MSD is a big target for these cheep copies, they took 2 units apart side by side to show the differences; it was sick; hard to tell from the outside too. Their message saw to be careful of your source to know you are getting the real deal.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    Exactly how places in the US can a FV spin the wheels going over a rise? Are these spots not well known and something that a driver cannot be prepared for?

Missed shifts and incorrect down shifts are what cause grief for a FV engine. Neither situation is going to be saved by a rev limiter.

Brian
    Brian, I think a missed shift would be covered by a rev limiter. Once power stops, acceleration is stopped.

I agree, it will not save you from the bad downshift.

John

Liked: 72

MSD units are not legal in vees. Simple points replacements like Petronix are. There are rotor replacements with a limiters built in for different rpms. But they are a bit crude. They simply disconnect the points and that can be rough on the engine and the cutout changes over time since it's mechanically based.

Small over rev's (under 7k) can be tough on valve train but not a well put together lower end.

Lights are handy but at 6k, a lot can go on before you can react. Like a hundred revolutions per second.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Thread Information