Liked: 22

Default Alignment/ wing setup for Road America?

Have a race coming up at road America, looking for a good baseline setup for the car. Anyone have any links?

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 16

Try 185 fuel - 250 air for Card jets to start. Tune to Exhaust Gas Temp, Look for 1600 to 1650 EGT's
    5 Deg. for front and rear wings.
    start with 13 for tire pressures.
    you should be running the long gear stack. 19-32,21-29,23-28,24-47,25-26.
    Use shell 93 fuel.
    Camber -.4 deg. front / +.8 deg. rear.
    front toe = 4cm total out
    Rear toe = 0
    Keep the car low but give it a little rake so it will turn.
    Timing from 10 to 15 Deg. Remember the timing marks are -10,0,10,20 deg.
    If you can keep your foot to the floor through the Carousel, you know you have got it right.
    Last edited by dmccallum; 08.05.16 at 8:55 PM.

Liked: 12

Dale, you mean 4 MM toe out?

Also, I much apologize for hijacking thread but I have a question... If I'm running a 200 bottom jet in the main stack, and 240 air corrector and seeing 1000 deg EGT: I would want to take the bottom jet down in number, correct?

Sorry. Getting used to the carb still.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccallum View Post
    Try 185 fuel - 250 air for Card jets to start. Tune to Exhaust Gas Temp, Look for 1600 to 1650 EGT's
    5 Deg. for front and rear wings.
    start with 13 for tire pressures.
    you should be running the long gear stack. 19-32,21-29,23-28,24-47,25-26.
    Use shell 93 fuel.
    Camber -.4 deg. front / +.8 deg. rear.
    front toe = 4cm total out
    Rear toe = 0
    Keep the car low but give it a little rake so it will turn.
    Timing from 10 to 15 Deg. Remember the timing marks are -10,0,10,20 deg.
    If you can keep your foot to the floor through the Carousel, you know you have got it right.

Yes, that is 4MM total toe out. Moses base set up is 6MM total toe out. I like to use 4 at Road America.
    Remember that your 200 fuel jet is 3 sizes up from 185 an your 240 Air corrector is 2 down on air from the 250. That is a total of 5 increments. If you are seeing only 1000F for exhaust gas temps, that is WAY too rich. Remember that your EGT is also going to be affected by the Installation and age of the bungs. They should be at 2 inches from where the header tube meets the manifold plate. If they are further than that, they will show cooler. I think if I were you, I would put in the 185 and the 240 jets and see what your EGT's look like. If you temps are still too low, you might want to get a couple of exhaust bungs from Moses or, use the readings from the leaner jetting as a baseline. I am assuming that you are getting you EGT's after downloading data from whatever dash you are using. It will be interesting to see how much Delta there is in the Exhaust temps when you make the carb change. Even 1500F would be fine for regular weekend racing. In the past when we go to RA it is usually for the runoffs and we are trying to make Max horsepower so we are pretty lean.
    Dale

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Yeah, all new bungs, probes. 2" off the header plate. I was reading at the end of the straight at Hallett. I went really rich just to see a baseline. One probe actually died, it only read 400. LOL Also, I assume you run the tip of the probe in the middle of the exhaust tube? or do you cheat it to the outside a little to keep open area?

DMitri:

I tried 6mm of toe out, it felt a little twitchy to me, so I went down to about 3-4mm front and zero rear. Feels good to me. You want a little toe out to help turn in and corner entry. the difference from 4mm to 6mm to me is just driver feel and top speed.

Thanks guys, I went with 3mm total toe out, and 1mm total toe in in the rear. Zero rear toe always seems a little too loose for me.

Have any of you guys ran an AFR gauge instead of an exhaust temp ? Considering mounting one up, seems like it would provide a more consistent reference for tuning.

Also my car had been setup with 22* advanced timing, is that excessive? I've heard it's a little rough on the motor but I can use every bit of power for that long straight..

I had used Lambdas in a box when I got my car. I am no expert, but to me it seems like they would not be quite right, because of the variable of burning oil in these motors.... So I would actually guess that EGT is better.

Liked: 49

If using AFR it must be a wideband. Lamdas are ok that's what all synod use AFR is better to use.

Liked: 285

Quote Originally Posted by tige00 View Post
    Lamdas are ok that's what all synod use AFR is better to use.
    I can't quite parse this. Would you please explain this better, so I can understand your point.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

I've tuned/ had tuned by others high performance fuel injected cars using a wideband. Response time is instantaneous and can be logged etc. I'm just curious if a wideband 02 setup would be more accurate or easier to work with than exhaust temps, which can be greatly effected by ambient temps, traveling speed and probe location.

Regardless that's going to be an issue for next season, found a crack in the upright going through one at RA. Then found the wall through 2. Looking like I need like about half a car in parts. Lol.

How did the car feel? Were you on track long enough to get a feel for the setup?
    Dale McCallum

Quote Originally Posted by dmccallum View Post
    How did the car feel? Were you on track long enough to get a feel for the setup?
    Dale McCallum
    Didn't really get a chance to feel it out. As far as I could tell more toe out would have been good, car was a little numb on turn in. The shocks were set too stiff, and definitely could use more wing, car felt loose throughout carousel. I always forget how rough RA is.

Oh no!!!! Man that's a bummer.

Hey lemme know what parts you need, I have some extras I can sell you. If you want. No pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
    I've tuned/ had tuned by others high performance fuel injected cars using a wideband. Response time is instantaneous and can be logged etc. I'm just curious if a wideband 02 setup would be more accurate or easier to work with than exhaust temps, which can be greatly effected by ambient temps, traveling speed and probe location.

Regardless that's going to be an issue for next season, found a crack in the upright going through one at RA. Then found the wall through 2. Looking like I need like about half a car in parts. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mstephenson51 View Post
    Oh no!!!! Man that's a bummer.

Hey lemme know what parts you need, I have some extras I can sell you. If you want. No pressure.
    Thanks for the offer! Once I figure out where I'm at on it and where my budget for repairs is, I'll shoot you a message. I haven't really done anything with the car besides put it up on stands in the garage. I just plan to take it apart and make a list of everything bent or damaged and make a wanted post/ email people selling stuff off.

Thread Information