Liked: 0

Default Formula Mazda Sports Racer bodies

hi guys. I'm new to the forum, though I've been reading for a bit.

I'm seriously considering getting a formula mazda. I've been doing track days for a few years in a Lotus elise, but I've come to the point where that's no longer satisfying, and I've discovered that Formula Mazda seems to be a relatively budget friendly way to get amazing performance on a level that really doesn't compare with any production car.

the thought of getting a open wheel car never really entered my mind until recently when someone brought out a formula enterprise to a local track day...It actually only ran a few laps before having technical problems, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Anyway, long story short, I want one. However, I haven't seen open wheel cars ever run in the tracks I've been too, and I think many won't let them run, unless there's enough to make its own group, and there just isn't in this area.

As a way around this, I've been looking for the Sports racer bodies as I think most tracks will let you run those, but I can't find any. Are they still in production, or were they ever? Is there a way to get them now days? Thanks for any info...

Joe

Liked: 530

Get the FE/ESR. Ridiculously reliable and cheap to run. Much more modern than FM and barely any more cost to buy.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Totally disagree on FE. Everytime these are at the track, one of them is having gearbox issues. They're really pretty but not really (much) faster than FC.

Your profile says Omaha/Chicago. Pick up a Formula Continental. You can play in Midwest Council or with us here in the GLC series. Gingerman or Grattan aren't far away from you.

I'm convinced FC is the best bang/buck formula out there right now. Simple tech, reliable motors, and decent class sizes. And the cars are cheap. And we're usually one of the fastest groups on track at any given weekend.

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
    Totally disagree on FE. Everytime these are at the track, one of them is having gearbox issues. They're really pretty but not really (much) faster than FC.
    Backing out the variables that skew relative performance - driver, tires, prep etc - all these being equal FC is quicker, no question.
    aaron

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 5

although not a Formula car the SRF Gen3 offers amazing performance and could be an option to consider. Very safe car as well.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

I have a GEN3 SRF and a ESR, I primarily race the SRF sometimes the ESR. Until last year I had a GEN 2 SRF for many years and have Toyota Supra turbo track day car that I usually rent out, I like open cockpits - that should tell you something but I don't what to think about it too much. I must have been a happy dog with its head out the car window in a past life.

I run the ESR in a lot of track day events, because I wanted a formula car, but needed covered wheels as almost all track day clubs require that. Kevin K put all new gears of some uprated specification in it awhile back and now all I see happening is some minor wear on the dogs. I take good care of it at home, but other then checking the oil and a quick wheel shake looking for any play, I usually just looking it over well when adding gas. I drive the heck out of it usually 4 sessions each day for 2 days. Kevin K is so helpful and the FE guys are a great source of information. There are 2 other ESR in my area so sometimes we get to run together.

The Hoosier tires fall off after awhile on the ESR, but in a advance run group it's still very fast on old tires. God help any sedan driver who tries to go deep into a breaking zone to stay with you. Hoosier will have some new tires from another series soon that will cost less and last a lot longer - yea. I have not tried the AR tires as tires in SCCA ESR (P2) are free. In P2 the ONLY advantage the ESR has is that it never breaks, well at least not in comparison the high strung motorcycle powered cars. It's a real race car and you do have to make sure all the bolts and nuts are as they should be, but that can usually wait till beer hour to get done.

The SRF is still one of the fastest car in the corners in a track day but starting a long drag race down a straightaway in 3rd gear against a modern vet, Mustang, Porsche, or BMW is not it's advantage and you will be pointing cars buy a lot, then running them down under breaking and cornering. With my old Gen 2 SRF I used to have fun with the Corvette guys when they found out I ran the same lap tome as they did by saying "Yea I also run 2:14's at VIR and I never go over 120MPH".

Everyone how knows me will agree I am a FOG, maybe a bit of a extra fat FOG, but somehow I fit better in the ESR cockpit then I did in a friends FM. I also found the FM hard to just drive around as it's power at low RPS is a bit limited. In track day situations you often find yourself "held up" and then needing to get by quickly the ESR was much better at this then the FM or SRF. Try the Instructor/Advanced group in Chin Motorsports they pride themselves in making sure you can drive to the point where you don't make people check up and wait behind you before them let someone move up from the Intermediate group, while we don't require wave bys in that group when you are in a Sports Racer against a BMW 5 series it nice to have a tip of a finger raised from the guy 100 years in front of you to let you know you have been seen. In some club day events (Marque type) I have spent the better part of a lap darting back and forth behind some huge sedan trying to get noticed. When you drive a 1200 lb Sports racer you really can't afford to get stepped on by some 3300 lb street car

Liked: 0

Thanks for the great info guys! I'll let you guys know how things work out and keep you updated and keep asking for help and guidance and do some more research!
    Joe

Thread Information