Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Default Suits for fatties.... and layers

So, I'm planning to take my time in finding my next suit. Right now I have an old style Pyrotect 3 layer. Its bulky.

So, lets say I'm 6'0" and 225. 46 jacket, 38/32 pants. One of my "problem areas" is my thighs. While my current suit is okay in the waist and butt, my thighs get strangled and the suit is "stressed". Its a problem I have with pants in general. No chicken legs.

* So, what out there is roomier? What brands/models are for 'fat Americans' ?
    or is a custom suit my only option....

Layers: I see some new suits advertised as 1 layer but offering the same protection and certification as 3 layer......

http://www.saferacer.com/sparco-vict...ut-racing-suit
    http://www.saferacer.com/alpine-stars-gp-start-suit

* Has anyone reviewed these? Is this truly as safe as a multi-layer suit?

* Boot cuff or standard cuff?

Liked: 611

Default Suits for "fatties"

You would be best suited with a custom uniform.
    I like to use Design 500 for many of my customer (Lady Eagle for females) and particularly those that have fitment issues.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Default Suits for "fatties"

I have bought a couple of Design 500 suits from Keith and highly recommend working with him on your needs. Earl Zwickey

Banned
    Liked: 1116

When I had "fatty" customers who didn't want to pay for a custom sized suit, I found that http://www.leafracewear.com/ offered a larger number of "off the shelf" sized suits than most any other.

Regarding SFI3.2A/5 there have been single layers suits in the past that have met that standard. They were thick, didn't breathe well and were generally very uncomfortable. I don't know about these new suits, but I certainly wouldn't buy one without first trying one on for a bit. A thickish layer of CarbonX would likely surpass /5 minimum standards and would be pretty comfortable....so it's possible the new materials are similar.

Personally, I'd go with multiple thin layers opposed to one thick layer. When fabric options are available they can make a suit with a very comfortable inner layer that wicks moisture away, an outer layer that looks great and holds up well, with a middle layer that can offer great thermal protection that would neither be comfortable against your skin nor look good. There is additional protection/insulation in the air space between layers.

As to the FIA or SFI 3.2A/5 standards...there have been plenty of threads on the topic in the past. It really doesn't offer much protection and you should always wear a long base layer of your favorite fire retardant underwear. It was 105°+ at Buttonwillow and I wore a 3 layer suit, long carbon-x pants, crew neck, socks and balaclava. Just stay hydrated, it's only 30-ish minutes, and open wheel/open cockpit/rear engine cars don't get hot in the cockpit. You'll be a lot cooler in a fire with the right protection than without.

Off my soapbox now....

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

I'm 6' 225, 46-48 coat, but the only time I've seen you was when you were in the car, so I can't comment on the differences in our proportions.

I have a Momo suit. It's light, very comfy. Only gripe is the Velcro on the belt and front closure over the zipper wore out pretty fast. so my wife will be replacing that pretty soon. It's an FIA suit size 60. Plenty of room everywhere but the belly, where it's juuuust right.

I think it was about six bills.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

The more layers the better in general.

Custom suit for sure.

I have bought a couple from Hinchman in Indy with good results.

But all said, I would suggest going with Keith.

Thread Information