Liked: 0

Default Anyone here familiar with the Diasio 962

I'm looking at an older, bike-engined Diasio 962.

The car would be used strictly for lapping days, to have fun.

Curious about support, operating costs, build quality and just your general opinion on the car.

You can also PM me if you'd rather not post your experiences publicly.

Liked: 15

You could check with Shane Bourel, he races/rents a couple of D962s out of Mission BC.

http://shanebourelracing.com

Jim

Liked: 530

I've only seen 2 and neither were anything to write home about. Fit/finish was terrible and both were in quite 'used' condition. Both seemed to have challenges keeping them out on track reliably for the weekend on multiple occasions. The speed of it didn't impress either.

My overall opinion of the car: Cheesy

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 11

I drove one a few years ago, it had a yamaha FJ 1000 motor and a solid rear axle from a 80's Toyota sedan. It was slow and heavy and hot inside the cockpit. but looked cool and sounded nice. I have seen one with a 13B Mazda rotary and a Hewland gearbox, but why?

Contributing Member Jonathan Hirst's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Tom Owen has/had one in Toronto. Possibly that is the one you are looking at? Tom is an excellent technical resource if you haven't already discussed these cars with him.

If you cannot locate his contact info/PM him through his Apexspeed account, I should have an email for him.
    ---------------------------------
    Ferret Industries Archival site
    Ferret Industries on Facebook
    Basement Bookshelf FF/CF Scanned article Archive

Liked: 7

Default Radical Prosport

You will be much happier with one of these.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73221

He seems to be willing to deal on this one.

Signed,

A Radical Prosport owner
    Neil Cawley
    SCCA number 192779

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

There's a Diasio that runs some of our events. He drives it hard and well to run top of the middle pack of our DOT-tired FFs. Sometimes a Radical shows up and is in a completely different class, mostly due to tires but there's a clear power advantage as well.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 5

Brian,

I am a happy Radial Prosport owner. I used it for track days, but I am reluctantly selling it because I am currently renovating my house, building in a Miata with my son...

Regardless if you are interested in it or not, you are more than welcome to call me to talk about Radicals. send me a PM and I will forward you my phone number.

I have had:
    1st gen RX-7 track cars
    ITB Pinto
    Raptor F440

This car is easy on maintenance and very capable, albeit a little on the heavy side when compared to the current generation cars like a Stohr.

Take a look at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQfJBZ9KbQc
    for the car at a track day at Whisky Hill Raceway in Palmer MA.

Chris

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

My opinion of the one mentioned above by TimH
    From what I have seen....LOTs of maintainence and many driveline gremlins. HOT inside the cockpit on track, more so than a sedan. Speedwise, should be in the FC Pinto/FM range, if properly set up with new tires and driven to it's limits. The guy here doesn't run new tires, so it slides around a lot, hard to get power to the ground at corner exit. On track with a FF, it's like being on track with any other car that has a lot more power, but less cornering capability. Pass it in braking zones and in corners on Toyos in my CF, but he gets you back shortly thereafter on the straights. Not unusual to trade positions several times a lap. Could be set up issues there as well. Having been behind him in a FF, very hard to get around, as it slides around with a ton of over steer out of the corners under power. Also, little shunts do a lot of body damage, as the car is a fiberglass bubble of large pieces that break and launch with minimal contact with other cars or off course excursions. They look cool, like a prototype IMSA car, kind of. They do sound awesome, as most bike powered cars do. Now, for lapping days as you state is your intention, it would be fun, but not a car for the inexperienced to start out with, and very expensive to repair. I think they are nearly 60K new, so , obviously parts are expensive to buy or make.
    The owner/driver of the one here, Tim Haskin, (a different Tim H than the above poster) is no slouch driver and does all of his own work and fabrication, which I am sure saves a ton on prep costs. If you want his contact info, PM me. I think , unless you can do complicated maintainence and fabrication/fiberglass work, it will be a money pit , costing more in the long run, than as suggested, paying a little more for a decent radical. YMMV

13. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by H_Mode View Post
    Brian,

I am a happy Radial Prosport owner. I used it for track days, but I am reluctantly selling it because I am currently renovating my house, building in a Miata with my son...

Regardless if you are interested in it or not, you are more than welcome to call me to talk about Radicals. send me a PM and I will forward you my phone number.

I have had:
    1st gen RX-7 track cars
    ITB Pinto
    Raptor F440

This car is easy on maintenance and very capable, albeit a little on the heavy side when compared to the current generation cars like a Stohr.

Take a look at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQfJBZ9KbQc
    for the car at a track day at Whisky Hill Raceway in Palmer MA.

Chris
    WOW I had never heard of Palmer Motorsports Park, being from the south and all, but I just put that track on my bucket list. I love the cork screw section, not quite Laguna Seca but close enough. Really enjoyed the video.

Liked: 1

HI Brian,

Bang for the buck = Radical (if you are into sport racers)

Prosport or SR3, i don't think you can go wrong either way.

• They are quite fast, and solid.
    • Cost of the parts is a little on the costly side, but the cars are built like tanks
    • Contrary to a Stohr or other racers, these cars were built with both lapping and racing in mind. (meaning that cars built purely for racing require much more specialized attention)
    • Cost of running and consumables are quite low.
    • The car offers alot of room for you as a driver to improve over the course of several years (imo anyhow)
    • Prosport will be quicker than a similar powered SR3 in a straight line due to being lighter and narrower than the SR3
    • SR3 will take the corners faster than the prosport due to the additional downforce.
    • SR3 will be more stable in the rain
    • Newer SR3 models have paddle shifting and flat upshift. Although you can retrofit older SR3s and Prosports with mechanical paddles (low cost option) or with updated SR3 paddle shift kits (high cost option)

Very high level of support from Radical dealers located all over the US and Canada (and the UK of course)

My 2 cents
    Jon
    Last edited by Ravenbk; 10.22.16 at 7:29 PM.

Liked: 69

Or I still have this car - perfect trackday car...
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74500
    Craig Butt

Thread Information