Liked: 66

Default Identify this upright

Does anyone have a clue what formula car, possibly FSV, these uprights may have come from. It's a total mystery to me but they seem to work on this Caldwell D10 basket case that I'm trying to restore.

I know that all of the D10's I have seen use all D9 rear uprights, chassis, and most other parts but this car is completely different. It looks like the Autodynamics Caldwell D10 FSV show car that Ray built. The picture is in Andrew Schupack's book "Formula Vee/Super Vee Racing History and Chassis/Engine Prep" on page 54. Any help would be greatly appreciated..............

Attachment 59048

Attachment 59049

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

It looks like the car has inboard brakes due to lack of mounting ears visible on the upright.

If so that might provide a further clue.

This car has FSV VW drum brakes mounted to the outboard side of the upright. All Caldwell D10 FSVees I have seen use the D9 FF rear upright and suspension. I have looked at the rear uprights from every FSV constructor and nothing matches these, it's a mystery to me.

The only thing I can figure is that when Ray Caldwell built the first D10 he used one-off parts and then decided that for such a limited build number it would be more cost effective to use the FF parts.....................
    Last edited by 2fast2stop; 02.09.16 at 10:00 AM.

[img][myd10-33][/img]

Liked: 1403

The upright was built for a Super Vee. Now what car it went to I have no idea. All the parts are from a VW of some vintage including the drum brakes and backing plates which are not shown. Caldwell may have done a FSV as well as a FF. It is not a Zink upright. Royal maybe.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

NOT Royale RP-14

Liked: 0

All I can add is that it does NOT look like the D10 upright in How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines, which I took to be the prototype -- but maybe not.
    That picture appears to have D9 uprights, although with the calipers mounted on the forward side of the upright instead if the rear.

https://books.google.com/books?id=OM...=PA47&lpg=PA47

AFAIK, the Karmann Ghia got disc brakes for 1967, so VW calipers would have been available by then.

However, Wikipedia says that originally rear drum brakes were specified for the series and that later discs were allowed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_Super_Vee

Seems like you have a VERY early upright. Perhaps Beech made the upright? Maybe Caldwell used it for their prototype?

This spec sheet for Beech "Formula Vee 1600" says Disc FR Drum RR

http://www.virhistory.com/beach/beac...e/sv-ad-01.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Sabo; 06.02.18 at 9:10 PM.

Thread Information