Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 56

Default The new SVRA FF Rule Book is out

Here are the new rules for all three SVRA FF classes for 2016.

The changes are significant relative to minimum weights, tires, shocks, brakes, engines (cylinder heads), and the years of eligibility. For example, in the PCF class (now 1982-2008), the change from Hoosier R60a bias plys to the Toyo R888s adds 26 lbs. of total weight to the car.

http://www.svra.com/tech-bulletins/t...ford-rulebook/

Glenn Bilawsky

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Nothing but good news there, that should help car counts for sure.

Liked: 757

That is a good set of rules! Imagine the same tire for all classes! And a all weather treaded tire. I'm in!

Contributing Member Andrew Stein's Avatar
    Liked: 29

The tire rule isn't great for all. I understand the availability and cost advantages of the Toyo, but it's not exactly appropriate for a vintage FF like my Merlyn from both appearance and performance perspectives. Some cars (my Merlyn included) don't have the adjustment range in the upper control arm to run front camber that ApexSpeed posts suggest is optimal. Other rules changes (aluminum head and damper changes) I support.

5. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Default SVRA Rule Changes for FF

This is a puzzling.

We are vintage racing, not SCCA. Over the history of FF, SCCA continually screwed with the rules and finally screwed up FF completely. Meanwhile, the UK and Europe continued with the basic rules and thrived. Today there are strong fields in Vintage, Classic (Club) and modern FF, all using steel wheels and iron heads. Weights continue as in the original regs. Avon tires have been the standard for a generation, emulating the type and tread pattern of the early tires - as the Dunlop R5 has been the staple in historics since the cars were new!

So why the major change? We frown on ally blocks for twin cams, putting BDA's in early FB's, switching from drum to disc brakes on early Vette's.

The objective with vintage elsewhere in the world is to run the cars as close as possible to their original state. We see many beautiful cars, carefully restored to as original as possible. And Europe certainly proves they can be run close to original - there is even a thriving FJunior class with iron Anglia heads - not a problem, and tires emulating those run in the day.

The new rules are surprisingly similar to the rules of the West Coast The Series, which recently came under SVRA's wing, and are little to do with "vintage" but more to do with getting fields of FF together - which is fine. I understand the Arizona group may have a similar strategy.

Much of the rest of the USA Vintage care about originality, run Dunlop and now the similar Avon, in keeping with the original rules for FF. Hoosier are testing a FF tire in keeping with the original Dunlop structure and tread pattern. No shortages of tire I can see! The Toyo, while useful for general FF racing is simply not in keeping with originality and not necessary for vintage - SVRA is solving a problem that does not exist.

The ally head is a further issue for vintage originality - as well as weight distribution.

SVRA states that a number of clubs and experts were consulted. Apparently the VDCA and VRG, the major member run vintage clubs on the East coast were omitted from that "consultation". No mention of any engine builders was made, although the genesis for the rule change might have been pressure via the newly acquired VARA through The Series and Jay Ivey, who apparently cannot get enough viable iron heads. A well known and highly respected East coast engine builder does not have such a problem and commented that it was "sad as it would increase the costs which were already high enough".

There needed to be real considered consultation, ideally led by Monoposto, to evolve the rules to ensure the vintage cars continued to be maintained and run as in the day, while allowing for the need to ensure that FF continued to thrive after SCCA screwed it up. This was not the way - SVRA jamming it down the throats of the rest of the country in order to sustain its profits on the West coast at the expense of many of us long standing supporters of Vintage Ford racing - and the SVRA!

BB

Liked: 2

Default Totally AGREE .... This is WRONG

All this is going to do is to show that SVRA is nothing but a 'for profit' group. I hope that Monoposto does not fiollow the pressure being applied to match up with SVRA.

In addition, I hope that VDCA and VSCDA stick to the original rules that have helped all of us grow the FF contingency. I guarantee that if the SVRA loses the mid-west and east coast FF groups they will rethink this strategy as the west coast has ALWAYS followed their own rules when it came to FF; which is why this mess was created!

Now.... onto the good news! VRG is in the process of announcing a FF Challenge Series and I can pretty much guarantee that Toyo will not be allowed and we have FF of up to 39 and averaging 20+ per event.

Second piece of good news ... Hoosier is coming out with a treaded tire for FF that will match Avon/Dunlop so this should eliminate the supply issue regardless of what Avon or Dunlop do for production. I know I would rather support a company dedicated to racing!!

Just my $.02 .... see you at the races!!

--- Christopher Shoemaker
    Royale Racing, LLC

8. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 610

Default Svra

For those of you who have run with SVRA in Formula Ford and don't like the new rules, send them a note explaining why you will no longer support them !
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Keith
    Good point - thank you for that. I have just now made my feelings known to SVRA.

This is an unnecessary can of worms that was motivated by the desire to make a quick buck rather than review a considered and needed way forward for Formula Ford as a whole.

Hopefully I will be able to run my car in keeping with its vintage originality with the upcoming VRG series and with VDCA and leave the professionals to get on with it.
    Best
    BB

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 757

How about pre-81 cars on the Dunlop type tire and post '81 on the Toyos? That would seem to be a quick fix.

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member charleswdaniels63's Avatar
    Liked: 20

Default Glad to see these changes

I have been racing Formula Fords for a number of years, and am licensed with several vintage organizations, including SVRA, which for the past few years since Tony Parella took the wheel has been the best development I have seen in vintage racing.

I was not involved in these good rules changes, but it is clear they are NOT about making money, they are about making racing our cars more affordable and about increasing car counts at the events we attend. There had been a definite Balkanization of Formula Ford racing that made it difficult to go from one club's events to another. This will help eliminate that.

With various organizations, I have raced on various spec treaded tires and various spec slick tires and have a shedful of different kinds of tires I have bought to comply with differing rules. And I found they didn't make a dime's worth of difference in the actual enjoyment of racing experience.

In the past year, I have tried out the less expensive and more durable Toyo's that are now used by some organizations and that SVRA is now incorporating. They work just fine, and the sky is not going to fall.

Humans, probably as a result of genetic survival instincts, are notoriously reluctant to accept change, and we see it manifested in so many ways in our lives. Despite my own tendency to be affected by that trait and resist even beneficial change, I plan to be open to these beneficial changes and comply with the rules and participate in as many SVRA events as I can, including the bucket-list opportunities at the Brickyard and COTA that I could never have experienced before Tony made it happen.

Let's go racing.

Ben
    Great input. However, it only solves part of the problem. SVRA jumped without thought -as my dad used to say to me (too often) "please engage brain before opening mouth".

We need the FFord rules mess cleaning up. With the SCCA having screwed up the rules and then abandoned FF, we need to find a way of getting FFord back under control so we can get the cars out there in numbers.

There are a number of people working on how to do this - Joe Marckinski, VRG etc. There is a problem in getting cohesive rules as so many have gone their own way. Tires is the biggest problem. Heads and cannister shocks can be resolved. Fit engines is another can of worms.

Up till this announcement, Vintage were happy campers with the Avon and coming Hoosier equivalent, there was no need to disturb them.

Club was a different issue with some clubs on slicks, some on Avons and some on Toyos. Post 81's are on slicks or Toyo's, some mandating Hoosier, some not. Unfortunately, not everyone can agree and generally, whomsoever is on a particular tire wants that tire for all.

This was pushed because of the West Coast Series. The East Coast has been happily running on Dunlops and now the Avon equivalent for years - certainly since I came across to the US in 1995. There was no need to change the tire rules for vintage, the Toyo is not a vintage equivalent tire and maybe the club and Post '81 guys should have been polled.

I am sure its a done deal, so the fragmentation some of us have been working to eliminate has just gotten worse.
    Best
    BB

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 1432

This will give a lot of people a place to go with newer (by vintage standards) cars a place to race. There are a lot of DB1s and mid 90s VDs that won't want to go through the expense of converting a car to the new spec radial. For my car, SVRA would be a good place to go if I wanted to go vintage racing.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Default SVRA .... For Profit

"... SVRA, which for the past few years since Tony Parella took the wheel has been the best development I have seen in vintage racing...

<cms> I agree Tony has put Vintage Racing out on Social Media and other venues, he is running a hell of a marketing campaign, but do not think for one minute SVRA is not for profit

"... they are about making racing our cars more affordable and about increasing car counts at the events we attend. There had been a definite Balkanization of Formula Ford racing that made it difficult to go from one club's events to another. This will help eliminate that"

<cms> Do we not owe Formula Ford any type of respect for its heritage and what it has done over the years for racing? If there were no tires, I would respect your statement more readily but that is not the case. This is purely math....I guarantee that Toyo is paying sponsorship; just like they do in Canada. The only person who benefits is SVRA. If they truely wanted to benefit the cars and drivers they could of found a better balance. Take a look at what VRG is doing with their FF Challenge Series.

Royale Racing, LLC

21. The following 2 users liked this post:

Default Post 81' Formula Fords

On the topic of Tweeners (1985 or earlier) and Aero (1981 and later) FF, the vintage groups are already looking and trying to accommodate. With the 2016 VRG FF Challenge Series, this was going to start happening now.

The great equalizer is tires, we have to be honest to ourselves on this fact. This has been a great divider among us FF folks for some time (Vintage - Treaded, rest - Slicks). Over the past 5+ years, vintage race organizations have brought CF into the mix by moving them onto treaded tires (a trend started by VRG). Total Success! Now we were looking to expand further, but at the same time we need to honor the heritage of Formula Ford and keep the cars competitive.

This jump by SVRA was plain and simple a grab for sponsorship money from Toyo. They knew there were rumblings about Dunlop producing tires again, Hoosier coming out with a period-correct tire, and Avon increasing production..... THEY DID NOT CARE! They are quickly becoming a run what you brung organization. The question is do we (FF) care, and if so will we (FF) make a statement.

Royale Racing, LLC

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 24

If next month was April, I'd assume that this was an April Fools joke. Why not just let the Honda engine in too, while they're at it? SVRA just took Indy and/or COTA off my bucket list; maybe OK, I can spend the time and money on something productive.
    Seriously:
    How many Vintage Ford drivers, who have been racing on Dunlop or Avon, are going to want to go to Toyo tractor tires? I'm referring to the appearance, which is a big part of Vintage, as well as the performance/change over hassle. (I suppose all three of them will come on here and say so).

How many Club Ford drivers, who have probably always run slicks, are going to want to do the above? (I suppose all 10 CA and AZ, who already have, will be heard from soon).

Who wants to run their iron head, steel shock Vintage Ford or current CF against a 2008 VanD using aluminum head, trick shocks, push rod suspension, etc without any semblance of an equivalency formula? (oh, I forgot, the tires will make everyone equal; ya, I guess kinda like little league baseball). ...

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by fleetdude View Post
    Who wants to run their iron head, steel shock Vintage Ford or current CF against a 2008 VanD using aluminum head, trick shocks, push rod suspension, etc without any semblance of an equivalency formula? (oh, I forgot, the tires will make everyone equal; ya, I guess kinda like little league baseball). ...
    There are 3 classes as I read it, so a Cf won't be running against a 'modern' FF, or PCF as they call it. I assume the alum head thing was due to 'lack or supply'.

BTW, my car has an iron head and I'll put it against any alum head out there.

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

I'm one of the AZ guys, sorry fleetdude, there are more than three times 10 of us, plus CA.

I have advocated for the Toyos for quite some time on here. They are half the cost of the Dunlops.

That said, I had my first chance to race on the Dunlops at the SVRA race at COTA not even three weeks ago. Now, I am of the opinion that I like the Dunlops better for CF. They grip a lot better and I think will last just as long.

I'm with Reid on the head thing, who cares....

Shocks, we'll see. I did spend to convert my car back to steel body single adjustables for that race.

The biggest positive with this is the way they weigh the cars. Prior to this announcement, SVRA weighed the cars without driver and gear. Hence, I had to add 60 lbs to my Crossle to make minimum, which with me being well over 200lbs was definitely a disadvantage to a guy like Daniels at 150ish. Ask him about our acceleration differences on the straights at COTA. I know we both had fresh Ivey engines that were legal. I welcome the idea of weighing the car as it is tracked...A LOT.

Just to ensure we are all on the same page in dealing with the facts. As I understand it:-

Ally heads are no more powerful than a strong iron head but easier to replicate - iron heads vary significantly despite the best efforts of the tuners.

Ally heads are considerably lighter than iron heads (15lbs?) which means the car will be less top heavy even if you have to add weight to make minimum.

Up to and including Club Fords, exotic shocks make no difference (see posts elsewhere by Steve Lathrop - who is usually right and adamant that shocks are of limited value - assume this includes "tweeners"). Not certain if this extends to aero Fords - if Steve catches this perhaps he might comment.

Tires make a huge difference. Its taken SCCA 30+years? to get agreement on a standard FF tire - long after they killed the class!

Tires are a major cost and performance generator. This is why vintage and club vintage have been so successful sticking to one tire - thank you Monoposto and VRG. In Europe too there is one mandated tire for each class.

Hope this helps.
    BB

Liked: 107

what is wrong with SVRA making a profit? would you prefer they lose money, fold and then you have no events to race at? the "monoposto" rules were not sustainable, look over some SVRA race results.... i am amazed they actually ran some of the FF groups with so few cars. literally less than a 1/2 dozen FF constantly. that is not racing, that = "dead". if the monoposto rules were the hot ticket - the SVRA FF fields would have been stuffed full and there would have been no need for SVRA to address the issue of a dead run group!

if you have an FF you should be happy SVRA didn't DROP FF out altogether. they could have easily killed FF, and filled a much needed spot with late 80's ford and chevy sedans.... ("...not that there is anything wrong with that")

you like FF?, you want to race? then you need a profitable event organizer that can get the venues, and rules package that can draw out more FF's than you can count on one hand.

be glad you have the option to turn down going to a race vs not having a race to go to at all.... and if you don't go, you can just read about all the FF's that were there and how good the racing was.

BTW - the west coast "the series" is NOT running the toyo radial. so this was not a "the series" deal. what it was, was SVRA seeing how many fords various west coast organizers were drawing, (such as AZ and the series) and "how" these organizations were managing to do that when SVRA couldn't. (cost effective and equalized to driver talent... oh wait, isn't THAT what FF is all about? not the material of a wheel, head or tire..
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Rodney
    I stand corrected on the Series tires.

I agree "you like FF?, you want to race? then you need a profitable event organizer that can get the venues, and rules package that can draw out more FF's than you can count on one hand". On our side of the country we call them VRG and VDCA. We get 18 to 28 cars to the meetings and with the soon to be announced East Coast Series anticipate improving on those numbers going forward.

SVRA is focused on running a profitable business and has been extremely successful. Good for Tony, he has done an amazing job. They gather a strong following from the professional prep shops with large numbers of arrive and drive competitors. Some of us impecunious drivers want to enjoy our racing with lots of track time.The FF grids at SVRA are a reflection of high cost, low track time and lack of interest in FF anyways - my view, and I have raced FF with them since 1996. What has made the FF numbers is running "Bucket List" events. This suits some entrants, not all. There is room for different viewpoints - this is not Congress!

There are those of us that like originality in our vintage cars and prefer to run our cars with period tires (and iron heads and steel shocks but lets not complicate the argument). There is no shortage of tires. They last a good season. They are pretty economic - hopefully more so with a little extra competition coming soon. People like to drive on them (see above - not an single experience). What's not to like? Tires were not a problem until today. Toyo's fixes a problem that did not exist.

I agree tires are a great leveller which is why the existing (and stable) Monoposto Rules have been so successful on the East Coast. The West Coast is more focused on later cars and seems less interested in the "vintage" aspect and that's fine - it works for them. No need to force it on us.

Best
    BB

33. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Andrew Stein's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default Club rules

Many excellent points, largely without disagreement. SVRA is a for-profit business with a right to do as they please. Originality with regard to cylinder head material, flywheel weight, shock bodies, etc . . . is important to collectors and purists, but has minimal effect on competitiveness of the overall package. Tires do matter. Hopefully the new Hoosier FF treaded tire evolves into an equivalent of the Dunlops or Avons at a cost much more like the Toyo. That would encourage larger fields.

VRG has, at the last annual meeting, suggested that they would accept entries for vintage and club Fords with aluminum heads as non-compliant entries. It is largely up to the FF/CF members in VRG to tell the board of directors if we want alloy heads to be considered compliant. Similarly, we could choose to use the monoposto specs or the SCCA specs with regard to cylinder head porting and flywheel weight.

Perhaps that discussion should be another thread, including much participation by non-compliant, non-VRG members, so that we can all move this forward and have more opportunities to use our cars as intended.

35. The following members LIKED this post:

agree with most - there is debate, SVRA is only one one of many organizations to run with.

i have only done a few events with the "new" SVRA. but the market will speak, if they got the 'package' wrong all the FF's will go run with other organizations, its natural evolution - survival of the fittest etc...

i have no idea what a historical FF is anyways since there is nothing stopping you from taking a crossle to nationals. every FF is still a modern classified car in that regards, its not a "dead" class like FB, FA, etc.. so its not a 'static' time in history. 30 year old FF are running at the pointy end of nationals... i think most people would consider a 30 year old car "vintage/historic" but apparently, its both

37. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the most current car you can run not a 1992 model?
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Liked: 87

Default Question about tire heights...

So if you take a car with Dunlops, and install the 888's....what combination would you have to raise or lower either end of the car to achieve the same ride height...
    I ask this because some vintage cars already had to raise their ride height out of optimum rear axle angle due to the Dunlop being shorter than the tires of say 1970...

Mike W

Default PCF years of eligibility

Stephen,

Under the old (before yesterday) Post Club Ford Rules (contained in SVRA Tech Bulletin #TB2015-002 FORMULA FORDS REGULATIONS), the date range was 1982-1992. As of yesterday, Post Club Ford has been modified (in SVRA #TB2015-006 FORMULA FORD RULEBOOK ) to include years 1982-2008, or any pre 2008 chassis with inboard suspension on both ends.

Default Tire SIzes

Mike,

There are no options in regards to tire sizes (diameters) to achieve target ride heights. Only two tire sizes of the R888 are legal:

185/60-13 Fronts
    205/60-13 Rears

If you show up with any other sizes, you will not pass tech. They may let you still race, but you will most likely not be scored and will be starting at the back of each run group. You will have to adjust your chassis set-up to achieve your desired ride height with the new spec tires installed.

I can tell you from experience, when SVRA sets a new rule, they inspect closely for compliance.

For convenience, here is the specification page for Toyo R888s:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Proxes+R888

Contributing Member
    Liked: 131

Thank you Glenn. I had only read the single page bulletin.
    Stephen Adams
    RF92 Van Diemen FFord
    1980 Lola T540 FFord

Liked: 160

Default Tire Diameter

Mike,

I compared the Avon ACB9 to the Toyo R888 in the specified Formula Ford sizes and found the following:

Avon Front 5.0/22.0-13 21.6 Dia.
    Avon Rear 6.5/23.0-13 22.7 Dia.

Toyo Front 185/60R13 21.6 Dia.
    Toyo Rear 210/60R13 22.6 Dia.

So I would say if you can run the Avon's on your car, you should be OK with the diameter of the Toyo's.

Joe

Liked: 605

Default the problems of how one governs

is it............progress??

or is it.................chip, chip, chipping away such that things are not ruined all at once but eventually?

or is it.................business?

or is it a 'good intention'................that proves to make racing more expensive?

most important question..............is this........
    A) the byproduct of a committee sort of thing [read: shove it down your throat] or

B) the collective ideas - after putting several votes out on various topics - among virtually all with even the shadow of a dog in the fight much less current members?

If the vote would have been only the current...........it is possible to call it fair.....
    however.......
    if the vote was also open to non-members WHO MAY LATER BE INTERESTED IN GOING TO THE EVENTS BECAUSE OF THE RULE CHANGES [read: increased car counts] then one can see the changes as an attempt to increase car counts from the beginning of any attempt at changing rules............rather than merely a shoved concept with the shovers saying it's justified because they think the changes will increase car count........it can be viewed as more fair

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

I don't know the specifics .....

But what a great move for Formula Ford racers, and a downer for SCCA. Providing a place for "tweeners", lowering operational costs, and targeting the racers that SCCA ignored ...... the ones who were the majority in the spec tire polls. Somebody is paying attention!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

46. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by old 59 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the most current car you can run not a 1992 model?
    This is what I see in the first post: PCF class (now 1982-2008)

I haven't had a chance to look over the rule book as of yet.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    is it............progress??

or is it.................chip, chip, chipping away such that things are not ruined all at once but eventually?

or is it.................business?

or is it a 'good intention'................that proves to make racing more expensive?

most important question..............is this........
    A) the byproduct of a committee sort of thing [read: shove it down your throat] or

B) the collective ideas - after putting several votes out on various topics - among virtually all with even the shadow of a dog in the fight much less current members?

If the vote would have been only the current...........it is possible to call it fair.....
    however.......
    if the vote was also open to non-members WHO MAY LATER BE INTERESTED IN GOING TO THE EVENTS BECAUSE OF THE RULE CHANGES [read: increased car counts] then one can see the changes as an attempt to increase car counts from the beginning of any attempt at changing rules............rather than merely a shoved concept with the shovers saying it's justified because they think the changes will increase car count........it can be viewed as more fair
    It's a private business. They can do what they want.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

49. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 492

Default Svra

Here is Rick Parent's (SVRA TECH) response. The SVRA rules package was designed to get more Formula Fords out racing.

http://www.vintageracerules.com/foru...5_00#Post11982
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Liked: 605

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    It's a private business. They can do what they want.
    Of course.

I run my own business too for what it's worth

Liked: 83

Default VRG Turkey Bowl paddock... wish I were there to listen

I gotta figure there will be a robust debate and unvarnished commentary going on at the VRG Turkey Bowl this weekend on this topic. Though Monoposto rules may still be somewhat viable in SVRA in the future, the concepts of Vintage and Club Ford seem to have become divorced. It's a capitalistic democratic republic and people will vote with their pocketbooks and it's likely the numbers will grow, but many old guard and many with tighter budgets, will be, or at least feel, left behind.

Gone will be these days of pinching pennies and somehow managing to get to the track and race.
    Last edited by DK540; 03.25.16 at 8:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DK540 View Post
    Gone will be these days of pinching pennies and somehow managing to get to the track and race.
    i don't understand how you figure that? the SVRA rules allow:

one to build/have built the absolutely most reliable, competitive and cost effective engine. gone are the days of thrown rod ends and wheezy heads and or paying a premium for a competitive head. go 40+ hours on an engine, still make decent power and not blow it up. cost savings on the engine spec.

the SVRA spec tire is "the" cheapest most long lasting tire possible. gone are the days of spending either a lot on a set, or cheap but one weekend only tires. cost savings #2

the SVRA rules allows a wide range of cars/years. this allows a wide range of people to "run what you brung" vs having to invest in a a chassis in order to be invited. the tire... will neutralize a big gap between classes (similar to why 'the series" runs the AR)

the SVRA rules allows. basically, open shock - so you don't have to invest in a shock package to be legal, the tire will neutralize a large gap in any "trick high end" shocks, so... more cost savings there. and if you need shocks... your not restricted, and can pick up something used on the cheap. more cost savings.

i really can not find anything in SVRA FF rules that are not cost savings oriented. its the perfect penny pincher recipe they have adopted.

i look at their rules and think "most cost effective rules package possible"?

54. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default Northeast

Seeing as the SVRA schedule has only one race in the Northeast (WG). I can't seem many going out to buy tires and setting there car up for a one off event. I do not see any reason to tow all the way to VIR or Mid-Ohio when there are so many tracks here in the northeast

In fact they may loss car counts at WG as the regular VRG runners may now op out of the event. Only time will tell.

Ed

Liked: 186

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    Seeing as the SVRA schedule has only one race in the Northeast (WG). I can't seem many going out to buy tires and setting there car up for a one off event. I do not see any reason to tow all the way to VIR or Mid-Ohio when there are so many tracks here in the northeast

In fact they may loss car counts at WG as the regular VRG runners may now op out of the event. Only time will tell.

Ed
    What we may see out of this is two very different sets of vintage formula ford events. Older cars, including Club Ford on Dunlop/Avon & maybe Hoosier at VDCA and VRG events and newer cars including all the "Tweeners" on Toyos at SVRA events.

The only SVRA event I have been going to for some time is the Gold Cup at VIR in September. It was already expensive enough with an entry fee at almost $600. I'm not going to buy another set of wheels & tires and then try to figure out a whole new car set-up just for that event.

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    Of course.

I run my own business too for what it's worth
    So do "eye".
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 43

Quote Originally Posted by s800racer View Post
    What we may see out of this is two very different sets of vintage formula ford events. Older cars, including Club Ford on Dunlop/Avon & maybe Hoosier at VDCA and VRG events and newer cars including all the "Tweeners" on Toyos at SVRA events.

The only SVRA event I have been going to for some time is the Gold Cup at VIR in September. It was already expensive enough with an entry fee at almost $600. I'm not going to buy another set of wheels & tires and then try to figure out a whole new car set-up just for that event.
    s800racer,

I have been trying to figure out why you have been working so hard to discredit SVRA here and at the Vintage Racing Rules Website. http://www.vintageracerules.com/foru...topics/11991/1

For the benefit for all of you who do not know about and or have not participated in an SVRA event, I would like to bring some clarity, so you don't have to wade through all the speculation and innuendo's being posted.

SVRA has created a new class to run inside of Group 2 which is where all the smaller open wheel cars run. The FF's have always run with the Monoposo rules, now there is another option. There have been no changes to the Monoposto qualifications or Rules and Regulations as SVRA has no authority to change anything concerning Monoposto. Monoposto has been the Gold Standard for years and has done a great job! All Monoposto prepared cars are eligible for Gold Medallion status which recognizes cars prepared faithfully to the way they ran in the day.

SVRA has created a new class in Group 2 for the FF's who have been ineligible to run because of upgrades like shocks, wheels, aluminum heads and such. SVRA has not strayed from the path and don't read (Run What you Brung) into this, that will never happen! You will find the SVRA FF Rulebook here, http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploa...d-Rulebook.pdf You be the judge!

BTW, SVRA has no sponsorship from Toyo
    Last edited by Rick Parent; 11.30.15 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Good Sense Prevailed
    Rick Parent
    SVRA Technical Director
    rick@svra.com
    http://www.svra.com/

59. The following 2 users liked this post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information