Liked: 58

Default Avon FF tire life

Avon ff tires this year on a lead pack Ivey motored Titan Mk6. After about 15 heat cycles the handling degraded mid corner to exit. Figured it was the car set up,redid corners and aligned. Still bad. New Avons - good again. My experience previously with Dunlops was 30 or more cycles of more or less equal performance. Anyone found the Avons are all through more quickly than the Dunlops?

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

which was faster?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

He states: "more or less equal performance."

Liked: 17

Default Avon Tyres

Are you running the Avon ACB9 and comparing them to the Dunlop CR82 ? If so then in my experience here in NZ is:

Avons cost less per tyre to purchase but wear quicker than the Dunlops.

Avons have more grip and work within 1/2 to one lap where as Dunlops take two.

Avons are softer and have less tyre tread depth.

Avons work for around 20 sessions. By then its time t replace as they are worn. My car wears the rears more than the fronts. I wouldn't go back to Dunlops. Last time I bought a set they were hard and would not work.

In the dry the fast I've gone in on a 2/3's worn set of Avons.

Martin

Liked: 208

Default Avon Price

Is there a cost/price difference for Avons in the U.S.? If yes, does anyone know the amount of the difference?
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Dunlops are near impossible to find new. Avons are available, I just bought a set. Not cheap, around $1200 delivered to the door. Nice predictable tire though. Great feedback.
    Graham

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by Earley Motorsports View Post
    Dunlops are near impossible to find new. Avons are available, I just bought a set. Not cheap, around $1200 delivered to the door. Nice predictable tire though. Great feedback.
    Do you have similar observations on tire life and performance as the post listed above?
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    Do you have similar observations on tire life and performance as the post listed above?
    No sorry I don't, this was a first for me.
    Graham

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default Avon FF tires, NEW, for sale at discount...

I want to sell my second set of BRAND NEW Avons, unscrubbed, and will save the buyer 25%+ off new price, $800, fob Sharon, CT, 5 miles from Lime Rock.
    Mike Rand
    michaelrand37@gmail.com.

Liked: 802

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    I want to sell my second set of BRAND NEW Avons, unscrubbed, and will save the buyer 25%+ off new price, $800, fob Sharon, CT, 5 miles from Lime Rock.
    Mike Rand
    michaelrand37@gmail.com.

I'll buy !

Liked: 492

Ian, they are yours as the first person to put a hand up !
    We need to figure out who and when you or someone else can get them at LRP......
    Glad they are going to a good guy !

Liked: 757

Dang it, I want them too!
    Oh well, snooze you loose!

Liked: 40

"Avon FF tire life" until there is less than 1mm of tread. If we are talking ACB 9s. Pretty stable from new until worn out.

Approx Two sets a year based on 15 x 20 mins races

Been in use in the UK for the past 20 yrs on Pre 72 cars. Before we were on the old Dunlops and not a great deal of difference IIRC from when we swopped over.

Some of our racing can be seen here and they are being driven like they were stolen....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZ...XJJvR4ZZW81zXA

Liked: 246

Bob, my experience has been very similar to Marty 7 above. Both Avons and Dunlops will perform all the way till the tread is worn off. The Avons are a little softer and wear a little faster. They are also a little quicker but not a huge difference. Avons do come in a little faster on the first lap. What I have experienced is that if you are not racing continually and the tire sit for an extended period of time they will loss grip rapidly the next time they are used. I tried to make sure I used them up in less than 9 months as a rule. This was true for both the Avons and the Dunlops but the Avons seemed to be more effected. That said I have a set of 1.5 year old Dunlops that only have 2 weekends on them that I will be using for the Titan reunion at Thunderhill because I am way too cheap to buy new tires for one event. Hope to see you there. Todd

Liked: 160

Bob, I just experienced the same problem with my Avon's. I was use to running the Dunlop's for two seasons with 4 events per year. I was at LRP this past weekend and was trying to figure out a mid corner oversteer problem. It turned out to be the Avon's that were new mid season last year that were causing the problem. I put a new set of Avon's on the car and and picked up almost 2 seconds per lap. I never had that happen with the Dunlop's. They seemed to last forever. I would put on a new set of Dunlop's after two years and maybe pick up 3 tenths per lap at most tracks.

Mike, I wish I knew you had those tires on Sunday!

Cheers, Joe

Liked: 323

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    which was faster?
    His son Quinn......
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 3

Default Avon FF tires

Just out of curiosity, does it do any real good wrapping the surface of the tires in some type of plastic wrap if not being used for several months?

Mike Summers

I always wrap with plastic wrap and then bag when storing used tires. I think it helps but have no data. Pretty sure it cant hurt and is quick and easy. Also store in cool location, not in enclosed trailer that heat cycles daily to pretty high temps. Todd

19. The following members LIKED this post:

I always wrap with plastic wrap and then bag when storing used tires. I think it helps but have no data. Pretty sure it cant hurt and is quick and easy. Also store in cool location, not in enclosed trailer that heat cycles daily to pretty high temps. Todd

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Caution? Be sure you're talking about the same compound when referring to the AVON ACB9, which is the Avon number for FF tires. But those ACB9 FF tires come in two compounds, the latter coming about a couple of years ago when (the first time) Dunlops were unobtainium. Up until that time the AVON compound (don't recall that number) was indeed softer, faster, and didn't wear as long and definitely faster than Dunlops.

But in response to Dunlop's availability issues back then, AVON began building the ABC9 tire in the so-called A29 compound. You can still buy either compound from AVON, so you need to specify which compound. And if talking comparisons, be sure you're talking apples to apples

I've run both AVON compounds, but have no comparative data. To be "legal" in RMVR, it must be the A29 compound which AVON says is closer to the original Dunlap. Just ran a first weekend on a new set of the A29 Avon tires and they were fantastic! But it's been so long since I've had a fresh set of Dunlop tires, I have little to make a comparison. All I know is new tires rock.

My experience suggests about 5 good race weekends out of a set. We'll see.

Todd, see 'ya at the CSRG Thunderhill Titan/Wink Reunion. Should be a fun weekend.
    Bob Alder, Titan MK68 - Colorado

Liked: 80

I know it may not be relative to road racers but I'm finding that the A11 Avons drop off was pretty bad I haven't tried them again concrete which I will be doing this weekend and could give some feed back later but on black top at 85+ degree with 120+ track temps there was no grip out or the Avons.

I'm getting a new set of Hooiser next week and will drive on both surface in the months ahead and will find out the drop off for me.

Ben

Thread Information