Thread: Set up help

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

Default Set up help

Would anyone be able to help me set up a 1988 Van Diemen RF88 FF with the wide track front suspension ??
    The car has been completely stripped and refurbished so this is a clean slate
    I have the original set up sheet as pictured, which I have followed, however I am unsure in what order to set the spring preload, ride height, droop, then of course caster camber and toe
    I don't really know what droop is either
    I am not familiar with the push rod front or rocker rear
    Seems to me the rocker rear is a no brainer however the front has me confused to say the least

Any suggestions would be a great help
    Last edited by nomis; 04.04.16 at 3:48 AM.

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 15

Those are crap scans
    I can email those who are interested the files
    thanks

Liked: 146

Nomis,

I'd suggest that you join the Australian Facebook Group "Classic FF1600". There are many on that site who have similar cars, and could show you how to do it.

Liked: 27

I can give some general free advice , take it for what it's worth. But I think I can "steer" you in the right direction.
    Shock preload- I don't believe in it. I set my shocks to take up all slack in the spring perches and leave it. If you need preload then you need a stiffer spring.
    Ride height is the 1st thing to set after you have the shocks on. Bounce the car and put drivers weight in it.
    Droop- don't bother till you get really good with the car and are after a few more tenths. You might not have to even mess with it.
    Adjust the ride hgt with the push rods- the same when you scale the car.
    Caster- I like to check 1st - use enough to make the car stable at speed not so much that your arms turn to rubber after a few laps. 4 to 6 degs ?
    Camber - I am constantly messing with but I am running radials, approx. 2 degs front 1 deg rear. Use a tire temp gauge !!
    Toe -set last out in front -in in rear 1/8" is good starting point.
    Most important ---Have FUN !!! That's my 2 cents. Pops
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Thread Information