Thread: Go Pro Locks

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Default Go Pro Locks

I have a really old Go Pro.

It appears that vibration causes it to stop recording, lock and not do anything unless the batteries are pulled out.

It is still on but totally unresponsive.

There is a file on the SD card, but it has 0 bytes in it.

Go Pro told me it was the card jiggling loose due to vibration and to put a piece of tape over the slot.

Tried that and even added a piece of rubber band under the tape since the card sits below flush to the body when installed.

Any better ideas anyone??

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

I recently had a similar problem with my old Hero... Have you swapped batteries (even though it still turns on) with a known-good one? If not - provided you have or can source another batt - try that, worked for me and my cam was cinematic perfection last time out.
    aaron

Quote Originally Posted by a. pettipas View Post
    I recently had a similar problem with my old Hero... Have you swapped batteries (even though it still turns on) with a known-good one? If not - provided you have or can source another batt - try that, worked for me and my cam was cinematic perfection last time out.
    Further thought... mine was just randomly shutting off despite appearing to have a full charge but it didn't freeze, which I guess shouldn't be symptomatic of a failing battery... so I'm of little help to you here, sorry Steve!
    aaron

Liked: 1115

GoPro tech support ran me around blaming cards and batteries until finally the warranty ran out. I sold it on eBay with the warning that it worked great for skiing but not on a race car. The money bought a new ReplayXD mini that doesn't seem to mind a rigid rollbar mount.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Vancouver at heart but Adelaide is where you'll find me
    Liked: 16

GoPro are junk, maybe good for skiing ! But not racecars
    we finally figured out why the camera stops recording during a race, because the battery connection with the camera breaks during vibration
    so we fixed this issue with a piece of tape jammed in between the battery and the camera body other end from the terminals. it was a rolled up piece of tape which is enough to cause the camera to bulge. but hey it works
    but my camera screen does not work so have to use iphone to talk to it. what a crap camera !!!!! and ya no help from the service department as its out of warrantee

There seems to be two kinds of people in this world: GoPro lovers and haters. Mine is old as balls - original Hero, prob 10 years old - never been problematic (used on FC and SM with standard, as-supplied GP body and roll bar mounts), still going strong and shooting footage that would make Frankenheimer jealous. I don't feel that having to only recently replace the battery, after so many charges and use in a 'hostile' environment, was unreasonable at all... just my experience, I know others that have had similar success with GP.
    aaron

Liked: 200

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    I have a really old Go Pro.

It appears that vibration causes it to stop recording, lock and not do anything unless the batteries are pulled out.

It is still on but totally unresponsive.

There is a file on the SD card, but it has 0 bytes in it.

Go Pro told me it was the card jiggling loose due to vibration and to put a piece of tape over the slot.

Tried that and even added a piece of rubber band under the tape since the card sits below flush to the body when installed.

Any better ideas anyone??
    If it's an original Go Pro (1?), then I had the same problem with ours. We had 3 of them on our cars which all failed the same way as you are describing. After fighting with Go Pro over the problem and realizing they weren't going to do anything, we started taking the units apart ourselves, and found out that the vibration was actually braking the electrical connections loose on the circuit boards...as you could imagine, it only got worse. We fixed it by getting new Go Pros, as the Hero2HD was out by then. They seemed to fix the problem, as we never had that issue again.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 254

Yep, definitely a common issue on the original Hero. The best fix is a new one. Lots of success myself and others with the Hero2 and 3.

Liked: 123

I have had the same problem with both gopros and contours. Putting tape around the battery helped for awhile. The high vibration of motorsports just wasn't what they had in mind when they designed these cameras. There's also the sony action cam and the drift hd that I have not tried yet, but I doubt they will be any better. Even the $1000 AIM smartycam seems to have issues, I have a buddy who bought one of those. At least with AIM they always replace or fix it but the result is still a lot of races you do not get footage of and the video quality on those is not very good compared to a gopro or similar.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Just seems to me that if the vibration is excessive enough to do all that to the camera, the video is going to be totally worthless.

On have 2 mounts on my FC with a Hero2. One on the left and one on the right of the main hoop on the body.

The one on the left produces crappy video, the one on the right works well. Some vibration in the picture occasionally - but mostly not.

Try a new location...

Liked: 183

The older go pro's were susceptible to vibration. I used mine successfully on a car in auto crossing for a couple of years. After I bought my Formula Ford, it lasted a single event before failing.

The newer units are redesigned to handle the extra vibration, several of my competitor use them without problems at every event.

I now have a nagging feeling that my apparent luck with the Hero1 is about to run out...
    aaron

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 201

Our newer Go Pro (3) has good color but is incredibly wavy to where you can't even really watch it. Feel like it is more than just vibration as we have done a lot of things to reduce the vibration. Our older Go Pro doesn't have the same quality picture but it at least works and is a viewable movie unlike the newer one. Can't seem to figure out how to fix that on the newer one.

Liked: 254

Quote Originally Posted by andyllc View Post
    Our newer Go Pro (3) has good color but is incredibly wavy to where you can't even really watch it. Feel like it is more than just vibration as we have done a lot of things to reduce the vibration. Our older Go Pro doesn't have the same quality picture but it at least works and is a viewable movie unlike the newer one. Can't seem to figure out how to fix that on the newer one.
    Have you tried adjusted the frame rate on the GoPro 3? The waviness is a function of vibration relative to the frame rate. Causes the rolling shutter issue which you seem to be experiencing. How do you have it mounted? If you can move it to the body that may be more successful.

Liked: 201

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    Have you tried adjusted the frame rate on the GoPro 3? The waviness is a function of vibration relative to the frame rate. Causes the rolling shutter issue which you seem to be experiencing. How do you have it mounted? If you can move it to the body that may be more successful.
    Thank you. I will look into both of these. I am slow with this stuff, what way should I adjust the frame rate?

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

When I moved mine from the left (wavey video) to the right (not much), I couldn't really figure out why the bodywork vibration was different.

Still not convinced. BUT I do know that the on the wavey side the camera is within 6 inches of the coil..... maybe some interference....

Liked: 183

This thread inspired me to take a second look at my old go-pro hero.. Its automagically working, so maybe I'll give it a second shot.

Liked: 123

Quote Originally Posted by andyllc View Post
    Thank you. I will look into both of these. I am slow with this stuff, what way should I adjust the frame rate?
    Go 60fps. Much less wavy. 120fps is even better if it supports it, though the filesize and battery life limits start coming into play at that point.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Actually the ONE time it did not act up, the video was pretty good given that the sun was low and lots of the time it was looking into it.

When not looking into the sun it was awesome quality and for 80 bucks on flea bay.

I kind of thought it was probably a lost cause but thought I would check with the best bunch in the world first.

Thread Information