Liked: 0

Default Sitting in a Protoform P2

Is there anyone remotely close to the Tulsa, OK area that might let me sit in a Protoform P2, or a formula vee of some kind to see how well I might fit in one of these cars. I am considering purchasing a Protoform P2, or a FV of some kind, but would like to sit in one first to see if it would be worth the trip. I am 5'11", 205 lbs and I am concerned about being comfortable in the car, before spending the money. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Liked: 41

I'm 5-10 and was 235lbs when I sat in a protoform. Was a little snug.I ended up buying a citation. Which was also pretty snug at purchase but after some modifications to the seat it is very comfortable
    I'm also down to 215lbs fv's are a great motivator to loose a little weight.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 200

If you do manage to find one to sit in, we have one for sale that has had the opening of the cockpit widened to 10" to make it easier to get in and out. Of the three drivers (who I know of personally) that have driven the car, one is about the same size as you, one is shorter and wider, one is taller but thinner. All of them fit very well.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65975
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 115

Mario Andretti once said if your comfortable in the car you're not going fast enough.... he probably wasn't talking about how you fit in the car.

There are two ways to sit in P2. Use the seat or Remove it and sit on the floor with foam padding all around. I've done both. I'm 5"11" and at my heaviest I was 235.. Snug, but I fit. I used a sheet of .063 flat aluminum in place of a seat. use the mounting holes for the seat to secure the alum. sheet. I'd recommend that as opposed to sitting directly on the floor pan.

Liked: 200

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    Mario Andretti once said if your comfortable in the car you're not going fast enough.... he probably wasn't talking about how you fit in the car.

There are two ways to sit in P2. Use the seat or Remove it and sit on the floor with foam padding all around. I've done both. I'm 5"11" and at my heaviest I was 235.. Snug, but I fit. I used a sheet of .063 flat aluminum in place of a seat. use the mounting holes for the seat to secure the alum. sheet. I'd recommend that as opposed to sitting directly on the floor pan.
    Al is the guy I was referring to who used to own the car and would be approximately the same size...Al, I guess I was a little low on the 205lb estimate
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 115

Thanks Shane. I carry it well...

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyk View Post
    Is there anyone remotely close to the Tulsa, OK area that might let me sit in a Protoform P2, or a formula vee of some kind to see how well I might fit in one of these cars. I am considering purchasing a Protoform P2, or a FV of some kind, but would like to sit in one first to see if it would be worth the trip. I am 5'11", 205 lbs and I am concerned about being comfortable in the car, before spending the money. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kyle
    Unfortunately Kyle, with FVs, you really need to try each FV on for size. I mean each car not each brand. Because the rate of production is so small, each car tends to be tailored to the initial purchaser or tailored to its current drivers. It is not uncommon for cars of the same brand, made in the same runs (which may involve years or decades), to be vastly different in cockpit size and weight. Failing trying a car on personally, knowing the size of recent drivers, is very helpful. If it is Shane's car, it has accommodated heavy but not very tall drivers. DogDoc also has a car for sale, that I drove @ over 230 lbs and reportedly had a previous driver well above 250 (although that seems hard to believe). I think Womers are very accommodating, certainly for belly and arms, although big thighs may be an issue.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 41

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Unfortunately Kyle, with FVs, you really need to try each FV on for size. I mean each car not each brand. Because the rate of production is so small, each car tends to be tailored to the initial purchaser or tailored to its current drivers. It is not uncommon for cars of the same brand, made in the same runs (which may involve years or decades), to be vastly different in cockpit size and weight. Failing trying a car on personally, knowing the size of recent drivers, is very helpful. If it is Shane's car, it has accommodated heavy but not very tall drivers. DogDoc also has a car for sale, that I drove @ over 230 lbs and reportedly had a previous driver well above 250 (although that seems hard to believe). I think Womers are very accommodating, certainly for belly and arms, although big thighs may be an issue.
    Problemchild is right my team mate and I both have citations mine is 14 1/2" across the the cage at the should and his car is 16" across he site on the floor against the fuel at his back. I have modified a fiberglass seat.

Liked: 174

Kyle,

I had a P-1 converted to a P-2 and at 6'1" and 200+ lbs, I was comfortable in it. However, Greg is correct about the changes made during production runs so if you
    can sit in it, do it and good luck!

Mark

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Might think about a Vortech, I know a really nice one for sale .

The Vortech was built to fit bigger person, Brad Stout, and can accommodate someone your size. Also the Vortech is very light compared to some of the other chassis and you should be able to get to minimum weight.

Not sure about some of the other cars, I just don't have the personal experience in them to make a comparison.

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

My son is 6'3" and 230+ He finished 7th at last years runoffs in a P2. The previous owner was even taller and heavier.

I am 6' and 205 and it is really comfortable for me.

I can't think of a better big man's FV then a Protoform.
    Scott

Thread Information