Liked: 5

Default Free Help!-Looking to Join a Crew

I'm new here and thought I'd give this a try--I’m looking to get involved in racing and join a crew to gain some experience before I get my own car. I want to learn the workings of a race weekend and car set up etc. If you’re running Formula Fords and looking for some free help, I can be your gofer, run checklists and whatever I can. The more you show me the more I can do. I live in B.C., Canada and will travel within B.C., A.B., Washington and Oregon. I am no mechanic but I have done ground up restorations on several vehicles and engines so I know my tools. I can fabricate as well (MIG, TIG aluminum, stainless). If you’re willing to let me hang out and show a new guy the ropes, let me know!

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 803

Quote Originally Posted by Koopsy View Post
    I'm new here and thought I'd give this a try--I’m looking to get involved in racing and join a crew to gain some experience before I get my own car. I want to learn the workings of a race weekend and car set up etc. If you’re running Formula Fords and looking for some free help, I can be your gofer, run checklists and whatever I can. The more you show me the more I can do. I live in B.C., Canada and will travel within B.C., A.B., Washington and Oregon. I am no mechanic but I have done ground up restorations on several vehicles and engines so I know my tools. I can fabricate as well (MIG, TIG aluminum, stainless). If you’re willing to let me hang out and show a new guy the ropes, let me know!
    Great post, great attitude .... too bad you are 5,000km away :-)
    Someone over there give this guy an opportunity.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 120

Default Looking for work

Agree with Ian. There is a spot out there for you somewhere. Dependability is a must. The rest falls in place in line with your skills.

Take it slowly at first. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Post an 'e' mail address and maybe a phone number.

Hope it comes your way.

Ken.

Liked: 319

Koopsy

Put a resume together with an accurate portrait of what experience you have that you believe would apply directly or indirectly to crewing, and post it here. I'm certain someone would be glad to have your expertice.

Best to you!

Kip
    Last edited by Offcamber1; 07.09.15 at 9:20 PM. Reason: fat fingers...
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Ditto, keep the attitude and best of luck!

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Check out NorthWestFC.net and go to their event next weekend.
    Introduce yourself and had out a resume and contact info.

And if some needs some help pitch in....

They can also point you to the Canadian events....

Thanks guys,

I'm mainly just looking to gain some experience so I can have confidence bringing my own car to the track and also create a network of contacts in the racing community.

I live in an area where auto racing isn't very prevalent, I think I may be the only person I personally know that watches racing for the strategy and competition rather than just the crashes! So actually physically getting to experience racing first hand and meeting people on a local basis has been hard so I decided to try this route.

I'm a Power Engineer by trade in a metallurgical complex, my job involves a high level of accurate communication in stressful and dangerous situations working as a team. I know that being able to act quickly but accurately in motorsports as a cohesive team can be the difference between winning and losing.

I have restored three 1967 Ford Fairlanes and I am currently building a 1966 Land Rover from scratch. All of those vehicles I have rebuilt the engines from the ground up so most of my experience in engine work is with Ford V-8s and a 4 cylinder from the U.K. I do my own frame repairs and modifications, electrical, body work, assembly and painting. I think this translates into a high attention to detail in my work and the ability to learn many skills that would make me a good addition to any group.

My main strength right now is probably welding and metal fabrication. I have built a motorcycle and created the frame from my own design from scratch. I do metal projects for others when I can. If I need something, instead of buying it, I build it myself! My father is a steel fabricator so I've basically been apprenticing with him all my life. This may not be useful at the track but again shows that I can work with my hands and visualize a final result before its been done.

I've picked up a few books on chassis engineering, engine building math, and Jake Lamont's 'How to Build Formula Ford 1600 Engines' just to gain a little more info to prepare.

Sorry if this is a little long winded, that's the best 'resume' I could come up with. Im very motivated and have a lot to offer and a strong willingness to learn. You can email me at joshuakoopmans@gmail.com.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Default Crew

Send me a PM your welcome to come hang out with us.

Tom

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 120

Default Crew

Thanks Tom. Open the door and go from there...........

Ken.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Josh, you don't say precisely where you live, but the Sports Car Club of BC is holding it's next race weekend on July 18-19... ...and the NorthWestFC group will be racing with us as well.

If you can make it to the track, I'll happily put you on my crew list and you can help as much as you want and also meet some of the other guys racing Formula Fords and Formula Continentals.

Alan

Oh. The track is in Mission, BC:

Mission Raceway Park
    Last edited by alangbaker; 07.10.15 at 9:32 PM.

Liked: 4

It is too bad you are in BC. Here in Ottawa, and everywhere, we all need crew on a regular basis. We can never get enough help. Beer, food and constant thank you's do not seem to do it! Our local facility is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ayseven View Post
    It is too bad you are in BC. Here in Ottawa, and everywhere, we all need crew on a regular basis. We can never get enough help. Beer, food and constant thank you's do not seem to do it! Our local facility is amazing.
    That sounds awesome! If only I was over there

Thread Information