Liked: 18

Default Opposite thread on Penske PC10???

Can anyone tell me if an 82 PC10 had opposite threads on either side?

Thanks.....

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

So you're in LA.....

Drop by the offices of Trench Shoring in Corona. Call the owner - a real nice guy that also owns Ed Pink Engines - Tom Malloy. tom owns a few Penske's including a PC11 and the PC-9B that Unser won the 81 500 with - and one of his guys can probably answer that question.

I've always been able to tell by looking. A LHT to me always looks coarser than the RHT version - just an optical illusion, but LHTs always look "not quite right".

3. The following members LIKED this post:

OK, very good. Yeah I'm in LA.....but stranger yet is I just bought the car from a place in Corona.....so I know that drive from north to south of LA well.....lol. If I could see the threads it would be clear, but, the nut has a shoulder, or whatever, that by the time the axle appears it is beyond the threaded area.....you just can't see any.

I thought all Indy winning cars went into the museum?

Rick.....I've been a member of Cal Club since the 70s....and a driver in many of the classes. You have a similar background?

Liked: 281

More than likely, yes. Left hand threads on the right side of the car.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

So when they were doing 10 second pit stops to change four tires....they were also remembering to reverse the setting on the air gun every time huh? And they had to keep track of RH and LH wheel nuts? Interesting. I don't see any markings on the nuts, and now that I think about it I would assume there would be something pretty obvious there?
    Last edited by the Wizard; 04.19.15 at 3:08 PM.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1486

Been out here for 25 years but only driven FC and FSV with VARA.

I never paid a lot of attention to the wheel nuts on those things - was a USAC official for several years and even crewed a couple of times (bad man, not a pit guy).

you mean with the wheel off you can't see any of the threads on the axle?

Or, they're on real tight and you don't want to goober one up getting it off the wrong way.....

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Not exactly, I mean with the wheels on I can't see any threads....I want to remove them....and I'm just trying to be gentle. And especially since those nuts haven't moved in 20 years. But, I ran some PB Blaster in there, and after a while gave it a try. They are reversed on the right side!

Thanks again....

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

To remember which way they go on . . . .

You always turn them toward the rear of the car to tighten.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 123

Isn't that funny. I have one vehicle with different threads on each side of the vehicle, and it is normal right hand thread on the right side (passenger side in north america) and left hand thread on the driver's side. Tightens towards the front. Of course, it's an MCI bus...

Brian

Liked: 281

Quote Originally Posted by the Wizard View Post
    So when they were doing 10 second pit stops to change four tires....they were also remembering to reverse the setting on the air gun every time huh? And they had to keep track of RH and LH wheel nuts? Interesting. I don't see any markings on the nuts, and now that I think about it I would assume there would be something pretty obvious there?
    When you are doing pit stops you set your gun to off before you start the stop and you have a spare nut on your belt.
    Drop the gun and it changes direction, at least it does if it is set up properly.
    There are left side guns and right side guns.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information