Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 201

Default Racecar to track

I can't wait to take my FF to the track for the first time. However, as part of the 'just starting out on your own' theme that everyone here has experienced at one point in time or another, I don't have everything I need yet.

I have the car and tools and all of that but I can't afford to buy a tow vehicle and trailer yet. I am stuck. Either I wait a year until I can buy those things and then go to the track (that is no fun) or I can run the car a few times this year and be in a position to have my own tow vehicle and trailer next season. However, how do I get my car to the track?

I looked into renting a U-Haul trailer and truck but the trailers aren't wide enough with the exception of their auto transport. I worry about the safety and security of that but I will do that if I can't find a better option. I thought about renting one of their box trucks but I don't know how I would get the car into something that high off of the ground.

Anyone have any suggestions that might have gone through something similar?

Liked: 309

Default Used single axle open trailer?

Add a hitch to your daily driver and pick up a used single axle open trailer?
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

3. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by andyllc View Post
    I can't wait to take my FF to the track for the first time. However, as part of the 'just starting out on your own' theme that everyone here has experienced at one point in time or another, I don't have everything I need yet.

I have the car and tools and all of that but I can't afford to buy a tow vehicle and trailer yet. I am stuck. Either I wait a year until I can buy those things and then go to the track (that is no fun) or I can run the car a few times this year and be in a position to have my own tow vehicle and trailer next season. However, how do I get my car to the track?

I looked into renting a U-Haul trailer and truck but the trailers aren't wide enough with the exception of their auto transport. I worry about the safety and security of that but I will do that if I can't find a better option. I thought about renting one of their box trucks but I don't know how I would get the car into something that high off of the ground.

What vehicles do you own that you cannot tow anything at all? These cars being light is a great advantage being that you dont need a heavy duty vehicle to pull it.

Can you tell us what you can afford? So far I've seen trailers on here go for only $800+!! Thats cheap considering what it is allowing you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Frebert View Post
    What vehicles do you own that you cannot tow anything at all? These cars being light is a great advantage being that you dont need a heavy duty vehicle to pull it.

Can you tell us what you can afford? So far I've seen trailers on here go for only $800+!! Thats cheap considering what it is allowing you to do.
    Thanks for the reply! My car is a VW. I don't have a truck/van/suv.

Liked: 5

Look at the-ultimate-trailers.com Would be perfect for a FF. Should be able to pull that behind almost anything.

Liked: 304

Back in the 70's i pulled my FV all over the SE with a variety of beaters with 200+k miles. Open trailer. I am now using the same old trailer but have "moved up" on the tow vehicle to my '93 Suburban with 300K miles. Check CL for a trailer, add a hitch to whatever you own...

When I picked up my current car in Ohio I did rent a uhaul trailer since my old trailer had yet to be pulled out of its parking place in the tree's and weeds of 30 some years... The uhaul trailer is a beast, way more than you would need, and a bit expensive to rent for a weekend. It is pretty heavy as well.

Several posts while I was typing - what VW do you have? A light trailer will probably work, you can often find a small trailer on CL for cheap to get you by, then resell later.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 74

Thanks for the reply! My car is a VW. I don't have a truck/van/suv.
    What if you find a trailer for lets say $700-1500....(The cheaper of the two)

Than rent a truck or van from Uhaul? I Know its not ideal, but that is a good cheaper way for you to get on the track sooner rather than wait to dump that kind of money on a setup...

Liked: 113

Only in the US do we have the belief that trailers can only be pulled by trucks and SUV's. If you go to Europe you will find many FF being pulled by VW and the like.

The difference is in Europe people do not expect to tow at 70 or 75 MPH. they typically stay around 60 mph or less. We probably should not in the US either -but that is more a story about trailer tires.

If you have a two or three hour tow to get to the track staying on the back roads at lower speeds will probably only add 45 minutes or an hour to the towing time.

Find a light single axle open trailer. They will always have good resale. Stay off the interstates / freeways if possible. If you have a longer tow rent a truck.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Liked: 3787

For a few years long ago I towed a FC behind a Nissan Quest on a open trailer. The closest track was 5 hours away. Never an issue.

I'd say buy a beater truck for $4k, and open trailer for $1k, and go forward.

Or trade the dub for a multipurpose street car. If you get serious with the formula car you'll probably quit caring what kind of street car you drive anyway.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 43

Default Rental

I was in your place a few years ago. And can totally sympathize. I lost a few nights sleep trying to rationalize a solution with limited finances.

In the past I have rented both trucks and enclosed trailers for very reasonable costs. Worked great for me while I saved my pennies. I have even used a U-haul pickup truck to tow with. It worked great but did not have a brake controller.

In the end I purchased my own enclosed trailer before I had a suitable tow vehicle. Renting trucks worked great for me. And I didn't need to pay insurance, depreciation, maintenance, etc. on a vehicle that I only needed a few weekends a year. I had my own brake controller that I would hook up to the rental trucks. It took 5 mins and worked great.

Good luck with your solution.
    1972 Mallock MK12 F3 (ex-Ray Mallock / Alf Zeller)

https://www.facebook.com/ZellerRacing

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 121

Any prep shops near you that you could arrange transport with?

Liked: 76

I pulled a FV on a two wheel trailer with a early 70's VW GTI. Later with my 1996 VW Passatt.
    Not great mileage but they got the job done.
    butch deer

Liked: 304

Andy, just realized you are in Columbia. From there to Savannah, road Atlanta, Charlotte, VIR are all pretty short tows. Unless you have a VW beetle I would put a hitch on the car and get a small trailer. The drive time is so short that even at 55mph it will not make much difference.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

You can rent a truck from Enterprise for $100 per day. If you have a company you can negotiate a corporate rate if you use it enough.

You have a brand new 3/4 ton truck ready every time you need it and don't need to make a big outlay of cash.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh View Post
    You can rent a truck from Enterprise for $100 per day. If you have a company you can negotiate a corporate rate if you use it enough..
    For a lot of their tow packages you have to make sure you're renting through a commercial account. It then becomes a slam-dunk obvious good deal.

OTOH, there's a guy here who tows his Crossle' on an open trailer with a Mazda2 no problems. Just can't bring a lot of stuff with him.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 102

Default Think outside of the box a little

Peruse Craig'sList, there are guys that rent flat trailers and utility trailers for $40 (locally here), I am sure that you can find a simliar deal out there.
    Buy a low cost used trailer and rent a vehicle to tow the trailer. Talk to people at work and ask for ideas, you might get an offer from someone that just wants to go be part of someone's pit crew. Have you asked friends and family if they know someone that has a trailer sitting around that you can borrow? I know one racer out here that borrows a trailer until he can buy the one he wants.

Liked: 803

For years we raced FF out of a UHaul truck, 14-16' box length with garage door. Pair of ramps, push the car up backwards engine first, once the rear tires are in the box two strong guys lift the front end up and slide it in. Pack all your stuff around the car. Only thing that bites you is the "per mile" charge depending on where you want to race.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    For years we raced FF out of a UHaul truck, 14-16' box length with garage door. Pair of ramps, push the car up backwards engine first, once the rear tires are in the box two strong guys lift the front end up and slide it in. Pack all your stuff around the car. Only thing that bites you is the "per mile" charge depending on where you want to race.
    This is kind of what I was looking at doing. Do you have pictures of the ramps you used or how you secured them to the back of the box? I want to make sure they are strong enough to not have an accident while loading. (that would really put a damper on the racing budget!)

Liked: 102

2x12's douglas fir are plenty strong. If 12' or longer, put blocking in the middle.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default what he said

"If you get serious with the formula car you'll probably quit caring what kind of street car you drive anyway."

LOL how very true

btw i have been known to tow my Crossle 16F and later Hawke DL 2 (whatever) with my Datsun 510 wagon (a long time ago!)

have also gone through the routine of borrowing of cars, trucks, motorhomes and trailers (some misappropriated) and let me tell you all that SUCKS

i am going to recommend to you what nobody else will: do not go racing till you own ALL your BASIC equipment

anyway, have fun!

Liked: 68

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

My first car was towed on an open trailer by a >10 year old 4 cylinder Ranger. For a couple of years! Saved, bought an F350. Saved some more and got a 24' trailer that could hold 2 cars!

For me, this method worked out best.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Remember, your FF weighs only about 900 lbs. Properly positioned, car with spares and tools can have under 100lb tongue weight.

You can do it!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 183

your typical Formula ford on an open trailer will wiegh in under 1500 lbs. I have a friend of mine who tows his FF with a subaru WRX that a class 3 hitch.

If you can mount a hitch that will let you tow a jet-ski, then you can easily tow your formula ford.

Liked: 2

What size open trailer works good for FF?

Liked: 183

Quote Originally Posted by timwat View Post
    What size open trailer works good for FF?
    I have a 7x12 foot utility trailer, I have seen others use slightly smaller trailers

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

I have a $275 open trailer that I bought on here and have towed my FV with a VW GTI and Ford Ranger. This year I'll be towing it with my newer GTI. Look around the classifieds and Craigslist and you can get an open trailer for a very reasonable price. Some one near you may even let you borrow an open trailer for an event or two.

Liked: 803

This is kind of what I was looking at doing. Do you have pictures of the ramps you used or how you secured them to the back of the box? I want to make sure they are strong enough to not have an accident while loading. (that would really put a damper on the racing budget!)
    was 30 years ago (no photos, were cameras invented then?) but as I recall we used 2x10x10' with cinder blocks mid-span;

be smart, if you're worried about ramp strength, roll up without nose or tail cover, empty fuel tank, etc.... individual rear wheel load on the ramp cant be 300# on an old FF

Liked: 896

In 1968 I towed for a season with a 1967 VW beetle. If I never went over 50mph or changed lanes it was ok. This is not a good solution but I did it for an entire season.

Any modern sedan or small SUV can easily tow a small open trailer with a FF.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

36. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 68

Earlier I left a smart-ass reply. Here is a real one. Years ago I bought a Ralt Formula Atlantic car, which took every dime I could scrape together. I had no truck and no trailer and no means to buy either. I would borrow the Datsun pickup that was used as the parts delivery truck at the dealership where I worked as the tow vehicle. Sam's U-Drive in West L.A. had an open trailer that rented for something like $20 a day. I did an entire season (including some pro races) with that rig. I know some people probably laughed at me then, but I was racing! You can do it.....

EG

Liked: 273

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    Earlier I left a smart-ass reply. Here is a real one. Years ago I bought a Ralt Formula Atlantic car, which took every dime I could scrape together. I had no truck and no trailer and no means to buy either. I would borrow the Datsun pickup that was used as the parts delivery truck at the dealership where I worked as the tow vehicle. Sam's U-Drive in West L.A. had an open trailer that rented for something like $20 a day. I did an entire season (including some pro races) with that rig. I know some people probably laughed at me then, but I was racing! You can do it.....

EG
    El Guapo you are the most awesome dude.....everyone should have this sort of attitude towards racing. It's not how stylish you look getting to and from the track it's what you do when you're there.

I have a 16 foot box truck (ex Ryder) that I've put 200k on in the last 8 years of racing. That truck cost me $2,500. Those that have seen how we get my F1000 in and out of it stand back and marvel. Box trucks make great haulers. Been using one since my Swift days going clear back to 1983.

Possibly some of you remember Sandy Dells, he did the box truck thing for about a decade also.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

You have belonged to Apexspeed longer than most of us. Find someone (advertise) that has a double trailer that is willing to haul your car with his to the track. Couple hundred $$ and help each other might make for a very productive weekend for both of you while helping each other.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Pictures Gary...
    I've been considering going that route....

Liked: 952

Every time I think about buying an enclosed trailer and a bigger truck, I take a look at this picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

DonnyBrooke in the glory days ! So many great memories. Thx for the photo !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    I have a 16 foot box truck (ex Ryder) that I've put 200k on in the last 8 years of racing. That truck cost me $2,500. Those that have seen how we get my F1000 in and out of it stand back and marvel. Box trucks make great haulers. Been using one since my Swift days going clear back to 1983.
    The box truck idea is what I was thinking as they are CHEAP to buy or I can rent. Any photos of how you get the car in and out?

I appreciate everyone's help. Normally I would use my dads tow vehicle and trailer but we will be competing at the same events and his trailer isn't large enough to carry two cars (plus a 7 hour distance between us).

Liked: 3

I was in the same boat. I have a Focus SVT which I wouldn't even think about towing with. My car came with a trailer but it is way too big for it, and heavy. I could get a smaller trailer to tow with the Focus but I didn't want to beat on my daily driver so that wasn't going to work much less have room for additional spares I felt I needed to bring. So I decided to just find a truck instead.

I didn't have much money either. I still don't, really.

I bought the truck I tow with from an auction for $1700 after all fees. Its an 05 Silverado work truck, 140k miles, 4.8L with a contractors type cap on the bed. It was pretty much drive able when I bought it which I was nervous about. I was only able to start it and put it in gear. I probably got lucky. I just made sure the brakes were up to par and replaced 2 tires for used ones. Its been reliable so far, I've replaced a few odds and ends when I feel like working on something besides the race car.

A quick search on craigslist There are 2 7x12' landscaping trailers for under $500. Budget tow rigs are possible. As long as you get to the track, who cares what it looks like.
    Nick Sullivan
    F5 #92
    '97 Red Devil T-27
    facebook.com/SullySpeedShop twitter.com/SullysSpeedShop

45. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Default Sully says.......................

"As long as you get to the track, who cares what it looks like"

i like that!

Liked: 31

I towed my formula vee on a 6x10 open aluminum trailer behind my 2000 jetta vr6 for several years. It worked fine, even at 70 mph on I90. Removing the expanded metal tailgate made a huge difference in tow resistance. If you go the open trailer route, ditch the big gate for no gate or maybe a 2x8 on edge for a little insurance.

48. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

My fav low cost rig was very unusual. I bought a used ford E150 with the 6 cyl engine. Just a bare bones box Van for about $1000. I then modified the rear double door pillars and hinges so that the doors opened very wide. I cut and re welded the pillars and the rear fender wells to allow my F500 to fit in the van. I put a giant plywood platform about 4 feet wide across the Van just behind the rear seat and that is where I slept at the track.

I had no bucks in those days and this really worked for me. This would probably not work for anything other than an F500.

Wish I had some pics of it. It was pretty cool.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information